priest on board

gerelmx

We were recently in the Eclipse 03/18/18 this cruise was during the week of spring break and Easter, on board was a priest who offered several Catholic Masses. These were scheduled by Celebrity and published in the dailies. Excuse me for the question who pays the cruise and tips for the priest?

it seemed strange to me that he asks for alms to cover his expenses.

More often than not, it is the Cleric, Rabbi or other religious person performing services aboard, who pays albeit at a reduced rate in exchange for performing their respective duties/religious services.

bon voayge

We were recently in the Eclipse 03/18/18 this cruise was during the week of spring break and Easter, on board was a priest who offered several Catholic Masses. These were scheduled by Celebrity and published in the dailies. Excuse me for the question who pays the cruise and tips for the priest?

I knew a rabbi and a lawyer (who was brought on to give certain enrichment speeches) who went on HAL. Both had their cruise fare covered, but they had to pay the port fees and taxes. They paid their own bar bill. Their traveling companion got the same deal - and no, they did not get fancy-ass cabins.

Tips? Why would someone tip a priest, rabbi or lawyer?

Celebrity "promises" that a Priest will be onboard during Lent. We sailed twice during Lent, On only one of those cruises did a Priest sail with us. There were NO collections during Mass. Did you see / hear him ask for money? Or are you assuming he did?

Celebrity "promises" that a Priest will be onboard during Lent. We sailed twice during Lent, On only one of those cruises did a Priest sail with us. There were NO collections during Mass. Did you see / hear him ask for money? Or are you assuming he did?

We was to the mass on Palm Sunday and He ask for money to pay for his cruise fare and gratuities.

Edited by gerelmx

We was to the mass on Palm Sunday and He ask for money to pay for his cruise fare and gratuities.

Holy Cow....that is bizarre....I know when a priest performs a wedding, baptism or funeral there is a suggested monetary gift (but it's not required) but usually when a Priest is asked to provide services on a cruise ship he is provided with a cabin and meals and no collection is taken nor are "tips" solicited.....it's not like he's part of the crew after all....

That sounds pretty tacky to me.

You might want to let Celebrity know about this so that perhaps they don't invite the same priest next year.

My understanding was that Celebrity often sought a retired priest to be on board during lent. I was under the impression that the room was comped, but not the rest. Plus, the priest was supposed to bring his own supplies for the Mass.

We sailed with one a couple of years ago. On turnover day, he stationed himself very close to the door being used for boarding. He said he responded to the question, "Father will you be celebrating Mass daily" on board a couple of hundred times while stationed there. He was stationed where he was to make sure everyone who wanted to know, knew he was on board and would look for the Mass time in the daily.

I believe they sail with one for Christmas as well.

Another time, we sailed with a priest who was traveling incognito. We had dinner with him a couple of times. He said that if he wished to offer Mass on board, they would be happy to provide a time and place, but that he would need to provide all his own needs. He was on vacation, and said he didn't feel called to minister to those he didn't even have a passing aquaintance with unless there was a real need on board.

We were on a Celebrity cruise to the Holy Land and attended Mass several days. No one ever mentioned money. As well when we were on a Pacific Coastal Cruise last year a priest was on board just as a vacationing guest and he arranged a place for us to have Mass. I don’t think I would have given money to the priest who asked for a handout. He would be enjoying all the same ammenties as the rest of the passengers and only had to say 1Mass.

The one time we were sailing at Easter, the priest onboard was founder of a mission to help sailors who'd signed on to foreign-flagged merchant vessels escape from what was in reality an enslaved situation. We were happy to donate money to his cause after hearing stories of these seamen who had no way out of their dilemma without the help of those like that priest.

Throughout the years we have been on many Celebrity cruises with a priest onboard. They usually are part of Apostleship of the Sea. The cruise line provides their room and meals. The priests are responsible to pay for the gratuities NOT for him as stated here but the gratuities we all pay for the cabin attendant waiters etc. and any other expenses he may spend onboard. We were just on the Sillouhette on Holy Week where Father Robert said daily mass, listened to confessions and was there for anyone who needed him on a priestly capacity. He DID NOT ask for any money. We have travelled with Jewish friends when either a Rabbi or a passenger has conducted services. I did not see anything listed on the daily for Passover services or a Passover Seder but there might have been and not listed on the dailies. I personally think it's wonderful.

A few years ago I was on a Silhouette trans-Atlantic and we had a priest on board that did Mass several times during the cruise. Sunday Mass was in the big theater and the others times in Celebrity Central. Usually announced in the Daily Newsletter. Never asked for money and I don't know he was comped for the cruise. He was a missionary stationed in Central America and was returning home to Switzerland. The ship on it's way to Southampton stopped in Lisbon, Vigo and LeHavre. In Lisbon I noticed he visited Fatima and in Vigo went on to Santiago de Compestello. So a lot Catholic sites along the way which why he probably why he selected this cruise. He got off early in La Havre and continued on the train to Switzerland.

The one time we were sailing at Easter, the priest onboard was founder of a mission to help sailors who'd signed on to foreign-flagged merchant vessels escape from what was in reality an enslaved situation. We were happy to donate money to his cause after hearing stories of these seamen who had no way out of their dilemma without the help of those like that priest.

That's different and actually I would expect a member of the clergy to ask for donations to a charitable organization such as the one you mentioned.....but apparently the priest in question was soliciting donations for his own personal use. I agree, Celebrity should be advised.