Families on HAL?

sunny2runner

We have friends that don't have kids and want us to do a cruise with them but we have 2 kids (12 and 14 yrs). Are you there other families with kids that sail HAL?

Not a lot of families with children on HAL ships, but they have very good programs and dedicated space where young people can hang out and meet with others their same age. We always hear high praise for those that do travel with children so I don't think early teens will have any problems on HAL ships, particularly depending on where you will be going. Travel is key for HAL cruises, not non-stop onboard entertainment. Are the teens interested in where they will be going?

My husband and I are taking our 3 year old and my mom on a cruise next month! This will be our second cruise on HAL and my daughter's first. The atmosphere on HAL ships suits us well (we're not going for late night parties) and I've read good things about their kids club mainly due to not having a swarm of children on board.

I don't have any experience yet with trying to keep a teenager entertained but you know your kids best. I think its just going to be a matter of how well they travel and making sure they don't get into trouble. Have you or they ever cruised before?

We've cruised on HAL since our kids were tiny tots. We think it's a perfect fit for our family (kids now 11 and 16). We go to hang out together and enjoy the onboard activities. My kids were never much for the kids club and didn't participate even when they were small. We'd swim, go to Bingo, go to tea, hang out on deck, sports deck etc. HAL and Celebrity are our first choices - with or without the kids.

We took our children on HAL. Once. It was a seven day Caribbean on Westerdam. I would not recommend it for children in their early or late teens.

Let's face it, HAL is not a family oriented cruise line despite what they may claim. Quite the opposite. Their ships tell the story. Older ships, less amenities, older demographic. Not saying that some children, on some cruises may be thrilled but rather in general there are other cruise lines that are significantly better when it comes to the younger age groups. This is not a criticism of HAL, just an observation of where their market is and where it is not.

It just depends on your family. For my family HAL was a perfect fit. We did cruises varying from 7 - 20 days from the time the kids were 7 and 10 years old. They love cruising...on HAL. We tried other lines but always returned, even Disney didn’t do it for them as it was too crowded, too noisy and was just a glorified daycare. HAL’s kids programming is more hands on and individual. It changes daily and they always know you and your children and where each are.

We loved our time at meals and after lunch but my two always wanted to maximize their club time.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Our children were teens and pre teens. My son would eat us out of house and home. Dinner was a snack. They were both looking for food at 10PM. And not room service either. And not always a snack. This is a challenge on HAL. NOTHING open that suited them. Not so on the Celebrity and RCI cruises that we also took them on.

Just one difference that shows how different cruise lines cater to different age groups. Fine when they are small, not so fine as they grew up.

Please note that "HAL" does not exist.

Ships do (that differ like day and night).

What ship do you have in mind?

Any particular Holland ship is better for cruising with kids or teens?

We’ve been on four cruises with our kids and my in laws. The first cruise they were 10 and 6 and we went to Alaska, a 7 day round trip from Seattle. Both loved the kids club and we had a lot of great family time.

Our last cruse was this past Christmas on the eurodam a 7 night eastern. They were 13 and 9. The teen made some great friends and loved hanging out and playing chess. The 9 year old loved the kids club, but doing stuff with us too. While we had fun, we all decided it was time for a change. Part of it was the lack of activities on the ship in the evenings especially and part of it was the lack of itinerary.

So we are doing a 9 night on Royal to the abc islands.

We just got off a 10 day Panama Canal Zuiderdam cruise with our 14yo.

There were 30 teens on board but unfortunately the teen club staff did not run any of the program that was published. Most of the children stopped turning up as nothing was going on. Our son made some friends and they entertained themselves but he does not want to sail with HAL again as he much prefers the teen club on celebrity where he can dip in and out of the activities that are running. We sailed HAL when he was younger and he enjoyed the club then.

We have no idea why the activities didn't run, the staff member(s) were in the room at the scheduled times but ran no activities & mostly read a book. We asked at the info desk if they could, as did other parents and the children themselves, but the staff member was essentially paid to do zero work for the past 10 days. Weird.

I know that some HAL boosters like to wax poetic about how great HAL is for children. Having a dedicated space is pointless without the combination of a great program and good on board amenities geared to their age. It might be fine for younger children who require something akin to a daycare program.

But lets not fool ourselves. HAL is for us oldsters, or those fast approaching. You only have to look at some of the comments on the forum about the big deal over library changes or those who do not want any music by the pool. It is the Lawrence Welk fan club plus perhaps some Elton John, Rod Stewart, Eagles etc. . Lets not fool ourselves.... or others.

There is nothing wrong with this. HAL have apparently defined a market. Try as they will to convince otherwise their marketing does not reflect reality on a HAL ship. With perhaps the one exception of holiday periods. And even then, there are far more attractive offering for children and teens and families from other cruise lines lines/ships.

Edited by iancal

, so is the itinerary.

ahhh, the itinerary. I am 3+ star with a lot of days. I have seen a grand total of less then 10 kids. Never done Alaska or the Caribbean.

I am sadistic so the sight of a couple of 12 year old's cannon balling the pool makes me giggle, and grab a beer..Good parent make great kids. I do not think you should look at HAL as a babysitter. A vacation it may not be for you, but it can be a great learning experience for the kids.

We are now due to go on our 3rd HAL cruise with our 13 year old son. First was on Nieuw Amsterdam and last on Koningsdam with the next also on Koningsdam. He has loved Club HAL every time and made lots of friends - there have always been plenty of kids but not too many. The staff in Club HAL are fantastic and wherever we have dined the staff have made him feel special. For us HAL gives thdd whole family exactly what we want