Upcoming Roatan port itineraries canceled on your cruise?

mickeychicky

Are all the tenders on the ships? I've only been on big ships, and only tendered twice, but both times it was on large double decker ferries that were not on the ship and were not the life boats. Is it different based on the size of the ship?

Are all the tenders on the ships? I've only been on big ships, and only tendered twice, but both times it was on large double decker ferries that were not on the ship and were not the life boats. Is it different based on the size of the ship?

The lifeboats on ships are used as tenders in some ports.

With Roatan, it is being reported that the smaller ships like The Jade and The Pearl should be able to dock. The "Mega" ships like The Getaway will not be able to dock. Can they anchor and use the lifeboats as tenders maybe. Will probably depend each cruise what the local officials in Roatan say.

If you love Roatan, why not book at week at an AI sometime. We spent a week at Infinity Bay resort in December 2016, and it is my number one favourite vacation of all time. There simply aren't words for how wonderful it was. Then you'd have a whole week in Roatan! I realize it doesn't help you with your current vacation, but food for thought for the future!

You said what I was thinking

The Escape has two different kinds of lifeboats...just lifeboats and a few on each side that can be used as tenders or lifeboats...Getaway was the same way...look closely, you can see the subtle differences...I think most ships are this way.

Many times they just contract the tendering...has a lot to do with port capability I suppose..

Thanks for the info. So if the dock is out for 3 months for large ships, the only option for the Getaway would be to tender and that is the port's decision or NCLs? I hope they let us know sooner rather than later. What we had planned in Roatan looked fun, but I'm sure I could find something similar at another port, just takes time for researching.

NCL cancelled a port in Tunisia just before a scheduled cruise (totally justified, Tunisia was refusing to allow certain passengers to disembark holding certain passports). We had a shore excursion booked with “Tours by Locals”, I believe. There was not a single issue as the port was cancelled due to “force majure” (poss. spelled wrong), basically due to circumstances beyond our control. It is my understanding that no legit tour company will hold you responsible for cancellations in that circumstance. Very unfortunate for Roatan.

We just returned from our Getaway cruise. I booked an excursion for Roatan last Wednesday with Shore Excursions Group through my travel agent. The full cost was credited back to my card on Friday.

I'm in the same situation, but if the ship does not go to the port for any reason, all money is refunded. But it would be nice to cancel earlier than later as it gives them time to find another customer.

I sure hope MSC is held liable for the damage to the port and their economy.

The MSC Armonia was not allowed to leave Roatan until their insurance company put up a $500,000 US dollar bond for damages. The cost will likely be substantially more.

http://crew-center.com/msc-cruises-will-pay-500000-damages-after-msc-armonia-crash-pier-roatan

Since the dock is damaged and will NOT be completely repaired for at least 3 months, the dock cannot accommodate ships larger than 205 Meters (672 ft). Port is offering tendering services but has anyone, going with NCL soon, been notified yet IF you will or will NOT be stopping?

I haven't received an email and there is nothing on their website about canceling the Roatan stop or not, and nothing when I log into MY NCL.

Hate to get onboard and be notified THEN that we won't be going. Have plans outside the cruise ship excursions so I'd like to know ahead of time to cancel my reservations.

Our Roatan excursion with Shore Excursions Group was refunded to our card on Friday. The terms clearly state full refunds are given for itinerary changes.

Unfortunately, we did not have time to re-book a Belize City excursion with them. We purchased a city tour and "Baboon Sanctuary" excursion on shore ($40) that was interesting. The tour took us 30-40 miles into Belize. Had we known more about the country, we would have likely returned to the ship or done a beach excursion after seeing the immediate port area.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/belizetravel-advisory.html

Edited by bripct
Changed link to official State Dept site

The tenders are on the ship. All ships tender at some ports dependant on itinerary. I don't see why there would be an issue tendering at any port that the dock wasn't available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

RCI Oasis class ships do not tender at ANY ports, which is why the Allure canceled the whole season.

I've been on several ships, and each one used tenders that were from the port. I know some ships use lifeboats, but every tender port I've been to on an away ship did not use a lifeboat. I believe the tenders have a higher capacity than the lifeboats.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. So if the dock is out for 3 months for large ships, the only option for the Getaway would be to tender and that is the port's decision or NCLs? I hope they let us know sooner rather than later. What we had planned in Roatan looked fun, but I'm sure I could find something similar at another port, just takes time for researching.

Port of Roatan says it is up to the cruise lines of they choose to tender. However, I don't think any of the megaships would agree to tendering. I'm just thinking logically, imagine trying to get 6,000 people off the boat, like with the RCCL class ships, how long that would take, how many tenders it would take. I imagine it would be chaos. They don't tender the RCCL Oasis class ships to their own island (right now) in the Bahamas.

The MSC Armonia was not allowed to leave Roatan until their insurance company put up a $500,000 US dollar bond for damages. The cost will likely be substantially more.

http://crew-center.com/msc-cruises-will-pay-500000-damages-after-msc-armonia-crash-pier-roatan

..."port authorities estimate the damages could reach more than 10 million dollars". That is from the Port of Roatan press release.

NCL has docked in Roatan this morning. That's some good news. We know the dock can accommodate 965'.

Fit looks tight if this is accurate: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-86.544/centery:16.313/zoom:18

Not sure there is enough room for Getaway to dock. Still betting on tendering. Suspect when they start working on the dock, that might actually make it even harder to dock.

Her "rear end" is protruding a bit off the dock, but no one uses the rear to get off the boat and as long as no other ships are in port today...she looks fine.

The only problem you have is if you add an extra 100 feet for Getaway and where you can tie off the lines. Those will be somewhat suboptimal angles depending on wind and waves with less of the dock to provide stability. However, I would need someone with more maritime skills in big ships on if this is an issue or not. Also not sure how much area is dredged back there. So don't know when depth becomes an issue.

Someone reported yesterday that they were on the Getaway and they have NOT been informed yet that they won’t be stopping. Port of Roatan shows them as arriving on Thursday, still waiting to hear if they are going to tender or not

Yeah, pretty sure they will be there. It is just a question of dock or tender. I'm betting tender. I think the diff between her length and Jade could be enough to force tendering.