18/20 youth program

tillys mom

Has anyone had experience with the 18/20 program for young people onboard Princess? We are sailing in May with a family group that includes our grandson and 2 of his friends who are celebrating their high school graduation. Our grands have enjoyed the kids club whenever we have cruised, but we have never talked to anyone about what is available for this group. When I called Princess I was told to watch the Patter.

[...]I was told to watch the Patter.

That's about all you can do. If there are a large enough number of passengers in that age group there may be a hosted get-together the first night. Or they simply may list a time and location for an unhosted meet-up on various evenings.

While Princess uses the euphemism "Club 18-20" for passengers of that age it really is not an official demographic, with no designated spaces or agenda (beyond keeping them away from adult beverages) as younger teens have.

By searching the Princess website there was some information & more than to watch the Patter the Princess rep said.

CLUB 1820

Imagine a secret society. Only those invited can join. Guests ages 18-20 will learn the secret handshake and be granted a special code word to unlock an exclusive list of Club1820 events made just for them. No parents, no little siblings, no official hosts.

If sailing on the Royal or Regal, those ships have an expanded teen area which includes their own wading pool.

The Remix area for teens features a Princess DJ booth loaded with cutting-edge tracks where music lovers can create their own playlist, kick back, relax, or dance to the latest club mix. In addition, there’s a new lounge area, perfect for meeting new friends, with games like foosball, skeeball and the latest video games. A brand new outdoor lounge fulfills a request from teens, and offers cool club lighting, contemporary seating, a great new wading pool, and of course music perfect for parties under the stars. Teens will also enjoy activities specially designed for their age group, including sports competitions, late-night movies, hip hop dance classes, teens-only “mocktail” parties, formal dinners, and the always-popular video game tournaments“.

We will be on the Emerald so probably won't have the nice amenities available on Regal. It won't make a lot of difference since we have excursions most days, but I want them to have fun.

Thanks for your help; we'll check the Patter.

There will be a "get together" announced in the Patter. From there, it depends on participation. If no one shows up with the first announcement, there won't be much else scheduled. If several people show up, they will coordinate other get togethers and activities. Yes, they may be as simple as all planning to go to MUTS together, but it is still a group activity. Of course, people in the group are also encouraged to plan their own "fun."

Has anyone had experience with the 18/20 program for young people onboard Princess? We are sailing in May with a family group that includes our grandson and 2 of his friends who are celebrating their high school graduation. Our grands have enjoyed the kids club whenever we have cruised, but we have never talked to anyone about what is available for this group. When I called Princess I was told to watch the Patter.

The good news is that the three of them are friends and can do things together even if they do not get to meet others in their age group at a Princess sponsored meeting.

By searching the Princess website there was some information & more than to watch the Patter the Princess rep said.

CLUB 1820

Imagine a secret society. Only those invited can join. Guests ages 18-20 will learn the secret handshake and be granted a special code word to unlock an exclusive list of Club1820 events made just for them. No parents, no little siblings, no official hosts.

If sailing on the Royal or Regal, those ships have an expanded teen area which includes their own wading pool.

The Remix area for teens features a Princess DJ booth loaded with cutting-edge tracks where music lovers can create their own playlist, kick back, relax, or dance to the latest club mix. In addition, there’s a new lounge area, perfect for meeting new friends, with games like foosball, skeeball and the latest video games. A brand new outdoor lounge fulfills a request from teens, and offers cool club lighting, contemporary seating, a great new wading pool, and of course music perfect for parties under the stars. Teens will also enjoy activities specially designed for their age group, including sports competitions, late-night movies, hip hop dance classes, teens-only “mocktail” parties, formal dinners, and the always-popular video game tournaments“.

The Remix area is for teens under the age of 18, so I doubt that those in the 18-20 age range would be allowed in there.

Not that I looked for it, but I have never noticed Club 1820 mentioned in the Patter. And I suspect if you ask about the secret handshake most of the Cruise Director's staff will look at you weirdly.

The Remix area is for teens under the age of 18, so I doubt that those in the 18-20 age range would be allowed in there.

Not that I looked for it, but I have never noticed Club 1820 mentioned in the Patter. And I suspect if you ask about the secret handshake most of the Cruise Director's staff will look at you weirdly.

I doubt if any 18 to 20 year olds would be into secret handshakes.

Several years ago when we went to Alaska, my DD was 19. In the Patter, it listed a get together for 18-20 year olds in Skywalkers in the evening. (I believe it started about 10:30 or 11 PM). I believe there were only about 8 of them that showed up. However, they had a great time and got together several evenings. They got to know the DJ and some of the other staff quite well. They all connected and she was 'friends' on facebook with them for several years afterward.

It has been awhile since that cruise and I am sure that it all depends on who shows up to these things. I don't think 'kids' that age generally are looking for 'planned' activities. They just want a place to 'hang out' with others the same age. So, if Princess still is listing it in the Patter, tell them to go and see if they can meet up with others in the same age group. I am sure they will have fun with each other if nothing else!

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, Woodside Lady said:

My non-drinking college aged daughter just turned 21.  She was thinking about showing up for the 18-20 gathering just to find out who was close to her age on the cruise.  Is there going to be anyone there who would throw her out?  

I doubt it.

13 hours ago, Woodside Lady said:

My non-drinking college aged daughter just turned 21.  She was thinking about showing up for the 18-20 gathering just to find out who was close to her age on the cruise.  Is there going to be anyone there who would throw her out?  

I would not think so. They don't ID people who come.

If you don't see a listing for the 18-20 group in the patter, ask at Passenger Services. Even if they had not planned on listing anything, they probably will if someone requests it. I have made requests for announcements for other groups, and they have always given us a time and place and put it in the patter.

2 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

If you don't see a listing for the 18-20 group in the patter, ask at Passenger Services. Even if they had not planned on listing anything, they probably will if someone requests it. I have made requests for announcements for other groups, and they have always given us a time and place and put it in the patter.

IMO........

The cruise staff would most likely be handling/know about this.

It would probably be better to ask one of them.

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

IMO........

The cruise staff would be handling/know about this.

It would probably be better to ask one of them.

That would be correct if you could find one of them with time to listen to you - and if he or she would follow up. They are the ones that would actually schedule the time and place. You would leave a note at Passenger Services which would be sent to the Cruise Director. That may or may not be better than a direct verbal request.

I have had good results requesting a knitting group for DW in this manner when it was not already scheduled.

Edited by NavyVeteran

Just now, NavyVeteran said:

That would be correct if you could find one of them with time to listen to you - and if he or she would follow up. They are the ones that would actually schedule the time and place. You would leave a note at Passenger Services which would be sent to the Cruise Director. That may or may not be better than a direct verbal request.

I hear ya........based on exhaustive experience with the PSD I will hedge my bets on the cruise staff.