Embarkation in Puerto Rico - What a mess

I agree with you, but I don’t think this is the same thing. One person is in line to turn in their paperwork for one room. Another person joins them in line later, but they’re still only turning in paperwork for one room. The line doesn’t take any longer than it was going to before.

In the case of the buffet, the line is taking longer because more people are getting plates of food. It’s not the same thing as checking in for one room. One room is one room, it doesn’t take any more time. One plate growing to 16 plates is going to take longer.

Besides that, with everyone standing in the luggage line for 30 minutes, then moving to the other line for 30 minutes, equals 60 minutes of waiting for everyone. But if two people split up and both wait in line for 30 minutes, the time to get everyone on the ship is cut in half. It seems like this would make it faster for everyone. But maybe I’m not thinking about it properly and my math is wrong. It seemed to work well for the people who did it when we were there and while I normally get mad at line cutters, it didn’t upset me because it seemed to make sense. I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok. What if everyone did what your doing? How would that work?

Sorry to hear. We were there for spring break and had no issue around 11 am at the port

Embarkation

We recently sailed on the Adventure of the Seas out ofPuerto Rico. Had a great time on theship but was very disappointed at the process to get on the ship.

We stayed overnight at a hotel on Friday night and took ataxi to the port around 11:00am. When wegot there we were told to stand in a long line with our luggage (not thecarry-on). Now having been on many RCCL cruises in thepast, luggage is always taken as soon as you arrive by the porters. Everyone was very confused by what washappening, no good signage anywhere, and not real definitive “line”. Also there were no RCCL representativesaround to help out, only the porters. Theline was facing the port check in. We waited about 20 minutes and then they reversedthe line away from the port check to the other end.

This must be a common occurrence because now there arevendors selling water and Italian ice.

Now remember more people are getting dropped off as we waitwith no direction. They start takingbags at the back but by this time there are two lines trying to merge intoone. Another 30 minutes waiting in thatline to give them our luggage.

Finally complete weenter the port, go through the metal detector, and get our sea pass cards.

I hate to say this as I love the itinerary, it will be along time before I sail out of Puerto Rico again.

Ok. What if everyone did what your doing? How would that work?

I think it should work best if everyone does it. Then some people are not left waiting in two lines. Basically everyone waits for 1/2 hour vs 1/2 hour per line = one hour.

I think it should work best if everyone does it. Then some people are not left waiting in two lines. Basically everyone waits for 1/2 hour vs 1/2 hour per line = one hour.

What happens if the check in line moves much faster than the luggage line?

It sounds like there is an issue that needs to be fixed in Puerto Rico.

What happens if the check in line moves much faster than the luggage line?

It sounds like there is an issue that needs to be fixed in Puerto Rico.

I do this at the airport when my husband has to park the car in the far away long term parking deck which requires a bus to get back to the terminal. The check in line is often very long. When I get to the head of the line, I step aside and let other people go while I wait for him.

I am aware of the problems Puerto Rico has experienced but I'm not sure why this extends to check in procedures at the port. Many people have mentioned that there are no signs and they don't know where to go. Why not put up some signs? And a poster mentioned that they were waiting on a long line which was suddenly reversed to take newcomers at the end. What's with that? Just sounds like poor planning that could be vastly improved with a few basic changes, for example: signs.

(and I'm not talking nice laminated signs. Someone could break down a cardboard box and use a sharpie marker with an arrow. --> This way to luggage drop off)

We sailed out of Puerto Rico this past January. No problems at all boarding since we just had carry-on luggage. Returning to PR, we were told the port's computers were not working, and since we had an earlier flight, made sure to be in the 'early/carry your own luggage' line for disembarking. Zipped right off and easily caught a cab to the airport. Once there, although our plane was delayed for several hours, it was interesting to talk to the locals about their hurricane experiences.

Puerto Rico is going through a lot right now with the impact of the hurricane and power outages across the island.

I disagree with your assessment. It has been like this for years. Royal has no control over the port. The porters there want you to tip them plain and simple. You stand in a line to give them your bags they couldn't care less if you have a handicapped person with a cane with you and they watch to see if you tip them in their little box. Then you have to go and get into another line just to go through the process of reaching Royal.

It does not happen in any other port that I have been through. It's about tips and they want it.

we just cruised from PR in April - no issues. Arrived, got into line for "people with bags". RCCL guy on way gave us tags. Dropped off bags to porters, then got in other line for "people without bags." this took us through security. Got in line for seapass cards. Got on ship.

Total time from leaving Sheraton (next to port) until sitting down with first plate at WJ was about 46 minutes.

we just cruised from PR in April - no issues. Arrived, got into line for "people with bags". RCCL guy on way gave us tags. Dropped off bags to porters, then got in other line for "people without bags." this took us through security. Got in line for seapass cards. Got on ship.

Total time from leaving Sheraton (next to port) until sitting down with first plate at WJ was about 46 minutes.

This may speed up the process instead of the porters handing them out once you reached the line. Royal knew they had issues with that port.

I don’t understand what’s going on with this port. We sail out of San Juan at least every six months including 3 weeks afters the hurricane. Same procedure.

Drop off luggage at suite and upper tier stand at far left of pier. Get in line. Turn off for Suites.

This time-April 21-no stand for priority luggage. No turn off for suites that I saw.

Edited by seabeew

We just cruised out of PR on April 6th on AOS and had none of these problems, issues, inconveniences, travel related nuances..whatever you want to call them.

We got to the port prior to 10AM and there were clearly marked areas of where to queue for Guests with Luggage, Guests Without Luggage (middle line) and Suite & Pinnacle Club Guests (closest to building). Platinum and Above can drop off aka check their bags and go into the line for Guests Without Luggage or in the Suite/Pinnacle Club if of course you are supposed to be there. Gold and below stood in the longest line next to the street with their luggage.

We checked all of our bags (except our backpacks which had our bathing suits and a dry change of clothes as well as toiletries in them) and got in the middle line for Platinum and above..line began to move about 10AM and we had SeaPass Card in hand and Stateroom Number in less than 15 minutes. It was smooth and painless. Might I also add we had all our luggage before we went to dinner that evening as well.

Debarkation was a little less smooth but we had an early departure so we chose the self debark method. A little awkward to carry all your stuff down a flight or two of stairs but worth the effort to be off the ship and in a cab by 7AM.

Sorry you had to deal with that but RCL and other cruise lines are essentially moving the capacity of a small town on turn days. Not an easy feat. I'm shocked it is as stress free as it is. :)

Thank you everyone for your comments. Maybe we hit the port at a bad time and as I said it may be a while before I go out of PR again but not never. There are so many other ports and itineraries to do. I agree and support all in PR and actually have in-laws in the family that live there. So these comments were nothing against PR just the process. If you don't say something sometimes people do not know what needs to be improved. That is the beauty of a forum like this.

I agree with you, but I don’t think this is the same thing. One person is in line to turn in their paperwork for one room. Another person joins them in line later, but they’re still only turning in paperwork for one room. The line doesn’t take any longer than it was going to before.

In the case of the buffet, the line is taking longer because more people are getting plates of food. It’s not the same thing as checking in for one room. One room is one room, it doesn’t take any more time. One plate growing to 16 plates is going to take longer.

Besides that, with everyone standing in the luggage line for 30 minutes, then moving to the other line for 30 minutes, equals 60 minutes of waiting for everyone. But if two people split up and both wait in line for 30 minutes, the time to get everyone on the ship is cut in half. It seems like this would make it faster for everyone. But maybe I’m not thinking about it properly and my math is wrong. It seemed to work well for the people who did it when we were there and while I normally get mad at line cutters, it didn’t upset me because it seemed to make sense. I don’t know.

You explain it well---and I agree that splitting up for different lines to check in for ONE room is not line cutting.

Arrived at the Pan Am pier today to discover a few things have changed recently. The porters to drop your bags are now outside the far end of the building as you pull up. (You now drop bags off where you exit the building on debarkation day.) You then walk up to the normal terminal building entrance. No long lines when we arrived...only a few people in front of us and there were 4 greeters to check your passport & Seapass.

You then enter and proceed through the x-ray and security area as usual. However, all of the check-in desks are pulled a good distance out from the wall. (Actually, now that I think about it....I think maybe rather the desks being pulled out maybe it is that the wall behind the desks has been removed.) Either way....the area is under construction! No big deal. There was no line. The greeters and check-in staff were very efficient in moving everyone along. We think the porters at the other end actually is nice as it spreads people out rather than bunching folks up. We arrived at the pier around 11:35 and were onboard by 11:55.

Boarding was simple. After taxi dropped us off we asked someone with a Royal i.d. badge where luggage drop off area was for suites. No line but others were waiting in line. Then walked to check in area. Outside no marked area for suites. Went thru xray screening fairly fast. 3 lines open. Then checking in for our room was very quick. Staterooms today just opened. 1:37 pm.

Edited by BEENSAILING
Typo

Arrived at the Pan Am pier today to discover a few things have changed recently. The porters to drop your bags are now outside the far end of the building as you pull up. (You now drop bags off where you exit the building on debarkation day.) You then walk up to the normal terminal building entrance. No long lines when we arrived...only a few people in front of us and there were 4 greeters to check your passport & Seapass.

You then enter and proceed through the x-ray and security area as usual. However, all of the check-in desks are pulled a good distance out from the wall. (Actually, now that I think about it....I think maybe rather the desks being pulled out maybe it is that the wall behind the desks has been removed.) Either way....the area is under construction! No big deal. There was no line. The greeters and check-in staff were very efficient in moving everyone along. We think the porters at the other end actually is nice as it spreads people out rather than bunching folks up. We arrived at the pier around 11:35 and were onboard by 11:55.

Thanks for posting. Good info.