Platinum check in

BEEZALAR

Have to select a check in time. Think of it as a computer glitch. You can choose a later time and arrive first thing in the morning.

I pick a later time so another can pick an early time, knowing I can check in anytime. It's me, just being nice.

I pick a later time so another can pick an early time, knowing I can check in anytime. It's me, just being nice.

It doesn't work like that. Pick the time you intend to arrive so that Staggered Check in works as it's designed. If you don't need to pick a time but can get an early one and need it, then pick it. If you don't, it doesn't open it up for a non Priority customer. I have tested this out myself with my mom before she was able to get FTTF. The earlier time did not show for her even when I selected a later time essentially "freeing up" my previous slot. So I went back and and chose my original time again. I'm guessing Carnival has it set up intentionally like this to prevent what you say to do from happening and have a larger group than they can handle show up all at once like the pre Staggered check in days.

It doesn't work like that. Pick the time you intend to arrive so that Staggered Check in works as it's designed. If you don't need to pick a time but can get an early one and need it, then pick it. If you don't, it doesn't open it up for a non Priority customer. I have tested this out myself with my mom before she was able to get FTTF. The earlier time did not show for her even when I selected a later time essentially "freeing up" my previous slot. So I went back and and chose my original time again. I'm guessing Carnival has it set up intentionally like this to prevent what you say to do from happening and have a larger group than they can handle show up all at once like the pre Staggered check in days.

Did not know that. Great research.

Pretty much. Take your best guess at what time you will arrive. Don't automatically pick the earliest time because you can. It doesn't matter what time you actually show up - if earlier, go ahead and board.

I was wondering why carnival makes me choose a check in time even though we're platinum? To me that just takes up slots that other people could be getting

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The port infrastructure and check-in process can only handle so many passengers arriving at the same time. All passengers, regardless of status or FTTF, still use the same port infrastructure, and in most ports, porters and security checkpoints. The staggered check-in times are intended to spread the passenger load across the check-in windows in quantities that the port infrastructure and check-in process can actually handle, vs. 75% of the ship showing up at 11:00 am, creating wait times and customer experiences that non-priority passengers will ultimately complain about.

Please pick the window for the time you actually expect to arrive. Picking the latest available time to leave earlier slots open for non-priority cruisers only exacerbates that problem that Carnival is trying to fix with staggered boarding and in turn worsens the boarding process for everyone.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app

Probably for the same reason you can be fully checked in online and still get a message reminding you to check in sometime in the week before your cruise. Like SadieN said, think of it as a computer glitch. It's part of the checks and balances and clearly one set of info is not lining up with another in their system.

Lately, we have been on 3 cruises since Jan. and are going again this week, I am given a time slot of 12:30 or later and not given a choice. I just select it, but we arrive at the port about 11am anyway because we are Platinums. So, I just select the time given and ignore it. I wonder how many passengers who aren't Platinums or Diamonds select a time and just ignore it anyway and arrive earlier? We have noticed in the Port of Tampa, when we arrive at 11am, there are a lot of people waiting to check in and the Lido buffet is packed by the time we get there about 11:30am.

We're platinum and cruised Carnival in November and did not have to choose a check-in time. Arrived at Miami early afternoon (after most crowds and the ship was already boarding) and went into the Priority line. There were lines that said "earlier than check in time" and "later than check-in time" or similar wording.

So what happens if we show up earlier in NYC than the time we chose -- it won't be by more than 30 minutes at the most. Can't choose an earlier time but can choose many times later which I thought was odd -- so many are open. I guess we'll just look for the Priority line and hopefully the Plat/Dia lounge won't be overflowing as it was last time we cruised from nYC!!