Phone use on ship

Ladyaruba

i want to use my phone on the ship but only to take pics.

Not too tech savvy but assume I need it in airplane mode so as not to incur charges?

If your not using your for anything other than taking pictures, you will need to keep it in airplane mode to prevent incoming calls and texts.

If your not using your for anything other than taking pictures, you will need to keep it in airplane mode to prevent incoming calls and texts.

Thanks!

I only plan on using the phone itself when we are off ship.

Anything ne know how Sprint works in Alaska?

A quick search reveals:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2380485&highlight=Sprint

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504512&highlight=Sprint

and many other threads.[/quote

I did do a search first but didn't find the answer that I was looking for so that is why I asked! I am not concerned about wi fi, just the phone service itself. Most everything I read concerned wifi and data.

A quick search reveals:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2380485&highlight=Sprint

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504512&highlight=Sprint

and many other threads.[/quote

I did do a search first but didn't find the answer that I was looking for so that is why I asked! I am not concerned about wi fi, just the phone service itself. Most everything I read concerned wifi and data.

If you have data, you have phone coverage.

Thanks!

I only plan on using the phone itself when we are off ship.

Anything ne know how Sprint works in Alaska?

We have Sprint and used our phones in Alaska last September. Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka - no issues although IIRC, we had to wait until we were in town in Sitka

When does the cruise turn on and off their coverage? I’m on Verizon and I know like when you leave Seattle you’re by land for awhile as well as near some of the ports/inside passage.

Usually when the strength of land based signals are solid, as they near port. I wouldn't expect their tower to be off much before 60 minutes prior to docking.

I have a similar question.

Can we use our phones and data inside the Inside Passage without accruing any roaming charges?

I’m on ATT.

ATT more or less pioneered cell service in much of Alaska and is, I believe, the most reliable service. You will get good service in most ports except Skagway. You can also pick up service off the Gustavus tower outside Glacier Bay, the Hoonah tower in Icy Strait, and the Haines tower in the Lynn Canal. You only get service for about 20 minutes but it's enough for a quick check for calls and emails.

ATT more or less pioneered cell service in much of Alaska and is, I believe, the most reliable service. You will get good service in most ports except Skagway. You can also pick up service off the Gustavus tower outside Glacier Bay, the Hoonah tower in Icy Strait, and the Haines tower in the Lynn Canal. You only get service for about 20 minutes but it's enough for a quick check for calls and emails.

This is good news for us, as we are AT&T.