Setting up a cruise for a group

We are in the VERY early stages of setting up a fairly large group cruise (25-50 couples). We've talked to some Travel Agents and cruise lines.

I do not see a board that deals with Group travel. Does anyone have any suggested threads or boards that may be able to give me some good info? Over the years I've found so much good info here, I'm sure there are folks who've had some experiences to share.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to a Cruise Critic article. It's a good starting point. Personally I would use a travel agent. They should offer a good incentive in price or OBC for this large group. At the very least I would use a Royal Caribbean cruise planner. At one time they offered a free room for every 8 rooms booked. I don't know if that still holds true.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=272

Definitely use a TA that can allow each couple to book what they want. Not everyone will want the same experience...so let a travel agent handle everyone's requests (and possible complaints!)

I agree with other posters- if you try to make all the arrangements yourself, you are setting yourself up for a lot of work and possibly a lot of complaints, not to mention the financial hassle of either covering everyone's cost and then getting reimbursed, or obtaining everyone's individual credit card info etc. Get a TA, and let everyone make their own arrangements with the TA. That person can sort out each person's cabin preference, handle their payments, and handle all of their individual questions.

100% get a TA and get a good one. I just dealt with a group of 40 a few months ago and it took a ton of time just dealing with dining.

Groups are very tough to make happy—-you won’t. Let a TA take care of it all so you can enjoy your own preparations and you’ll get some obc.

You get a free berth (one persons cost, does not include taxes or fees) for every 8 double occupancy cabins booked. You should also get $75 obc from royal and then whatever your TA gives you.

Good luck

Here is a link to a Cruise Critic article. It's a good starting point. Personally I would use a travel agent. They should offer a good incentive in price or OBC for this large group. At the very least I would use a Royal Caribbean cruise planner. At one time they offered a free room for every 8 rooms booked. I don't know if that still holds true.

thanks for the article link - very helpful

Friends of ours set up a group cruise with family & friends for their 50th and each of us worked with the couples TA. It was first asked what Category rooms everyone wanted which went to the TA and from there she blocked X # of rooms for each Category selected & requested room #'s. We paid through the TA so our friends didn't have to worry about the arrangements.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/group-travel

Definitely let a TA or the cruise line handle bookings.

If the group activities are planned, e.g. dining, shows, excursions, etc., have a single organizer to interface with the TA and cruise line. She/he will also have to communicate with the rest of the group.

Excellent article.

It’s one free berth, not room, for every 8 rooms. Of the same class. There are not a lot of other real goodies but that one alone is huge. Also for best rate have the TA reserve a block of rooms, individuals won’t be able to pick the rooms, they will be assigned. Use a TA who has a lot of experience with cruises especially groups or an RC cruise planner.

You will be doing a lot of communication with the group so be prepared and know how much you want to handle yourself and when to send them to the TA . Likewise when on the ship know when to send them to Guest Services. I assume they all know how to use the internet so be ready with some good websites where they can get started on answering their own questions and encourage them to talk to each other.

Good luck. Group cruises are a blast although slightly more tiring for the organized than travelling with 1 or 2 other couples.

Edited by goodgriefer