Mobility question

I'm a slow walker (knee & back issues), but we're already dealing with DD in a wheelchair, so no scooter/chair for me. If I'm pushing her, it actually helps me to go a little faster. I looked into a rollator, but eventually I did end up buying a quad cane for my upcoming cruise, partially for walking, but also possibly for assistance in standing from something like a lounger where I won't be able to get good leverage to stand up.

Is your dad willing to use a wheelchair / transport chair/rollator? If he doesn't want to buy one, they can be rented (chairs anyway, don't know about rollators). With a rollator, he can still go up & down stairs if someone else can carry the rollator for him

Great information. I’ve made the suggestion about a scooter and he pretty much told me i’m nuts.

I mentioned that he has no idea how big this ship is (he’s never been on a cruise, so big is always relative).

He walks a mile every day, so getting him to agree to a wheelchair is probably not going to happen.

He’s old and isn’t ready to admit it, at least not to anyone but himself.

His take is that if he needs to, he’ll stop and sit on a bench.

His larger challenge is standing for too long. His knees start to bother him.

Hoping that i’m wrong, but I suspect that at some point he’ll admit that he needs some help getting around.

You don’t need a handicap stateroom. If the scooter takes up too much space I have seen many of them in the hallway as long as they are not blocking anything. Stateroom attendants will also tell you the best place to keep it.

Doesn't matter if it's not blocking anything, All scooters MUST stored in the cabin . Regardless if a cabin attendant tells you it OK leaving scooter, wheelchairs, stollers. etc in the hallways its a violation of SOLAS ( Safety of Life at Sea ) Regulations as well the cruise line. When I see this I don't hesitate to contact Security to have it taken away.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Here's an idea. Check travelscootrentals.com. These little scooters break down into a compact package' date=' and when fully assembled they fit neatly in a cabin. Rent one and have it delivered to YOUR cabin. That way if the size of the ship does turn out to be a real issue for your dad, you'll have an option to fall back on.[/quote']

Travelscootrentals.com cannot deliver to the cabin as its not an approved vendor of RCCL. RCCL only allows http://www.scootaround.com and http://www.specialneedsatsea.com to deliver to and pickup from the ship.

Do you remove seat to get it through the door? Does a standard room have enough space to store the scooter when walking around the room?

The overall width of the scooter must be less than 21" wide for it to fit through a RCCL standard cabin door. The cabin door is 23" door frame to door frame . 2" has to be deducted as the door does not open flush to the wall leaving a threshold clearance of 21"

Suites have space. It can be tricky in inside, oceanview and balconies but is doable as long as the individual doesn't have to use a walker or rollator while in the room.

Oasis Class ships are a problem fitting a scooter into a standard cabin. Because of the alterating cabin configuration if the bed is closest to the cabin door than the scooter cant get past the bed to be stored. It has to be left in hallway blocking the cabin door and entrance to bathroom... not doable

Edited by xxoocruiser

Great information. I’ve made the suggestion about a scooter and he pretty much told me i’m nuts.

I mentioned that he has no idea how big this ship is (he’s never been on a cruise, so big is always relative).

He walks a mile every day, so getting him to agree to a wheelchair is probably not going to happen.

He’s old and isn’t ready to admit it, at least not to anyone but himself.

His take is that if he needs to, he’ll stop and sit on a bench.

Hoping that i’m wrong, but I suspect that at some point he’ll admit that he needs some help getting around.

Here is a possible solution for standing too long. I bought a Walk-Stool that collapsed. It came in a case and could be carried over my shoulder for when I had to stand too long. I had sprained a ligament in my knee pulling my grandkids up a hill on a sled and it was not 100% by the time of the cruise. It was not heavy to carry, opened and collapsed easily and I was able to order it to be taller because I am tall. I used it several times on the cruise and was happy to have it. The brand I bought was Walk-Stool and I got in on Amazon. There are other brands. Read the reviews for the ones that the seat tears or they collapse in use and buy a good one, instead.

As someone who has been on Anthem, Allure and Oasis it will be a challenge for him. I use a scooter as I have had spinal surgery and can no longer walk far without resting. Since this is his first time, I would get it just in case. He will need to practice using it though. The ships are BIGGER than people think. As to the elevator issue just be forceful. My wife blocks people from getting in front of me as some don’t care. Most are considerate, small kids and teenagers not so much. But I digress. It will fit in the room, the stateroom attendant will fix bed placement. It will be better to have and not use than for him to be tired and not be able to get around.

A walking stick will really help as you can transfer your weight onto it and take the pressure of the knees. Trouble is that it is difficult to persuade people to use a walking stick if they are not used to it.

I have a similar problem. Can't stand for too long because of strain on lower back. Leaning on walls and using a walking stick to transfer my weight is how I manage.

Not sure why the discussion is on scooters, the OP ruled them out.

Right. I'd budget at least 15 minutes to get from one end of the ship to the other.
For most people, I think Bob’s assessment is fair. So much depends on other factors, such as how many other people are out and about, pushing the slower ones aside. Someone who can walk the stairs should get from on end to the other in those 15 minutes.

In my experience the bigger issue for passengers with challenged mobility is not getting from one end to another, it’s getting to locations on different decks. Elevators are often packed and the entry / exit areas are full of pushy people who will brush aside a slow walker using a cane without a second thought. During slow times it shouldn’t be a problem, but at peak elevator use there could be a lengthy wait for some elevator space.

Not sure why the discussion is on scooters, the OP ruled them out.

For most people, I think Bob’s assessment is fair. So much depends on other factors, such as how many other people are out and about, pushing the slower ones aside. Someone who can walk the stairs should get from on end to the other in those 15 minutes.

In my experience the bigger issue for passengers with challenged mobility is not getting from one end to another, it’s getting to locations on different decks. Elevators are often packed and the entry / exit areas are full of pushy people who will brush aside a slow walker using a cane without a second thought. During slow times it shouldn’t be a problem, but at peak elevator use there could be a lengthy wait for some elevator space.

IMPO Bob's assessment is unrealistic for anyone with mobility issues. I'm speaking from first hand experience. With that said there's a very important issue that has been overlooked by the OP which applies to all the walking required from the ship to exit/enter the port areas being that the Allure has to dock at very long piers. RCCL does not provide wheelchair assistance in port . RCCL only provides wheelchair assistance on embarkation day and disembarkation day. Therefore how does the OP intend to address that situation ?

If they intend to take any excursions than perhaps a wheelchair or Transport Chair should be considered. It could than be folded and placed on the excursion bus or in the trunk of a taxi. It could also be used on board the ship if walking becomes an issue.

IMPO Bob's assessment is unrealistic for anyone with mobility issues. I'm speaking from first hand experience. With that said there's a very important issue that has been overlooked by the OP which applies to all the walking required from the ship to exit/enter the port areas being that the Allure has to dock at very long piers. RCCL does not provide wheelchair assistance in port . RCCL only provides wheelchair assistance on embarkation day and disembarkation day. Therefore how does the OP intend to address that situation ?

If they intend to take any excursions than perhaps a wheelchair or Transport Chair should be considered. It could than be folded and placed on the excursion bus or in the trunk of a taxi. It could also be used on board the ship if walking becomes an issue.

The way I read it, the response of "15 minutes" was not intended for "anyone with mobility issues", but was a response to the OP, who wrote
He refuses to get a scooter, and they have to be reserved in advance from what I can tell

./.

He gets around and can go up and down stairs, albeit slowly.

If other responses in this thread discussion are more generic and intended for "all people with mobility issues" or to questions not asked by the OP, then yes, some will need more time and possibly assistance.

Good point. At least on board you can stop and even sit, if necessary. Those long piers, especially in the heat and humidity, can be brutal. Really appreciate those wheelchairs provided in Labadee from ship to end of pier. Something worth thinking about. Some piers do have assistance, but many do not.

Do you remove seat to get it through the door? Does a standard room have enough space to store the scooter when walking around the room?

You don’t have to remove anything from the scooter. It will fit through the door. It is important that you do it manually and not with the power. You just lift it up a bit to get it over the lip of the doorway and repeat with the rear tires. We’ve never had a problem in finding space for it. It is easier when the bed(s) is/are positioned closer to the balcony.

And yes, it does take up a bit of room but it’s my responsibility to do my part to keep the ship safe from obstructions in the hallways.

Here's my mom's scooter on the Majesty. See post #31

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2558412&highlight=just+boarded+majesty&page=2

If the scooter is 21" or less it will fit in a regular cabin. Like someone mentioned the Oasis class ships are difficult and the bed should not be by the bathroom. It's also easier if the cabin door has the ability to be propped open. Majesty has a strong magnet to keep the door open. Many ships someone must hold the door open for the person in the scooter.

Did you know that "old" and "slow" people already know they are "old" and "slow"? Sometimes people forget that people that are older, slower, or disabled are very much aware of their limitations, and live with it every day. They will enjoy their trips at their pace and be perfectly content. I'm part of the fast/slow crowd. I'm fast, wife is disabled. We adapt, but of course adapt to the slowest person. WE NEVER USE A SCOOTER ON A SHIP BECAUSE IT IS A BIG PAIN IN THE NECK TO USE!. However, we use a scooter in port, and go Internationally with it. We plan and adapt.

Well said! The Allure is huge and we have traveled with someone who did not use a scooter, but used a cane. She walked slow, did not use stairs, and rested on a bench as needed when getting around the ship. We adapted just fine and thought nothing of it. People with mobility issues don't necessarily expect you to keep a slow pace with them. You can always tell your Dad where to meet you and I'm sure he'll have no problem getting there at his own pace. Your Dad will do just fine on the Allure without a scooter because those scooters are a pain when trying to get an elevator or navigating in a crowd.

Edited to add that our friend only left the ship in St. Kitts. That port had a golf cart shuttle that she used to get to the end of the pier. Those piers are very long, and in the hot weather, it would have been too much for her. Your Dad may want to stay on the ship while the rest of the family goes on excursions. He might enjoy the quiet nature of the ship on those days.

Edited by kalliekae

We plan on renting a wheelchair for my dad. I don't think he will have too much trouble getting around the ship, but I worry a walk from the dining room to the theater may be too much. Also, getting off in port, he may not be able to do the long distance. I would rather be prepared. He can't do a scooter because he is legally blind. He can see a little bit but he hasn't been allowed to drive in 20 years.

We plan on renting a wheelchair for my dad. I don't think he will have too much trouble getting around the ship, but I worry a walk from the dining room to the theater may be too much. Also, getting off in port, he may not be able to do the long distance. I would rather be prepared. He can't do a scooter because he is legally blind. He can see a little bit but he hasn't been allowed to drive in 20 years.
Why not go to a mobility shop and buy one that you can push?

We did that for MIL and it was the best thing and meant we could push her everywhere on and off the ship.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Why not go to a mobility shop and buy one that you can push?

We did that for MIL and it was the best thing and meant we could push her everywhere on and off the ship.

I

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I’d like to push my mil off a ship.