Pisa or Lucca?

Jimmycruiser

Go to Lucca, but maybe stop to see the Leaning Tower on the way. There really isn’t much in Pisa apart from the tower. Lucca is lovely. Much more interesting.

Phil

Totallg agree. Go to Lucca one of the best city in Italy: lot to see, many places where to drink or eating. One of my best place in Italy!

Go to Lucca, but maybe stop to see the Leaning Tower on the way. There really isn’t much in Pisa apart from the tower. Lucca is lovely. Much more interesting.

Phil

If only one day I agree with Phil. I enjoyed Pisa but I did the museums and lunch. Lucca was lovely but I got the rain Phil missed.

Lucca is a delightful walled town with winding streets, cute coffee shops with delicious pastries, wonderful shops and a church or two! Much classier than Pisa although that tower is pretty amazing, it is almost all there is to see.

If we ever did that I'd start to worry! :)

Phil

You went with friends one afternoon and I did a ships tour in the rain ..you had the sun thst afternoon. My tour included a villa with wine and light lunch.

Is it possible to visit Luca from Livorno using public transportation? Pisa seems to be very easy to do from Livorno by train. I am also trying to decide between both of them when we stop in Livorno.

Ivi

Yes it is. Train to Pisa and then changing to Lucca. From pisa it is 30 minutes ride and the return ticket (livorno to lucca) is 11.20 euros. The train station in Lucca is just in front porta san Pietro (san Petre gate) to entry the walls.

Edited by portofrome

Yes it is. Train to Pisa and then changing to Lucca. From pisa it is 30 minutes ride and the return ticket (livorno to lucca) is 11.20 euros. The train station in Lucca is just in front porta san Pietro (san Petre gate) to entry the walls.

Thanks for this info! We will do both then.

Ivi

Thanks to all the respondents. Overwhelming vote for Lucca so that’s what we will do and probably skip Pisa.

On the Quest 9/5 with 2 day stop in Liverno. Want to spend first full day in Florence but do not want to chance missing ship on second day so we may just take the ship tour which only goes to Lucca?

Thanks again!

Thanks to all the respondents. Overwhelming vote for Lucca so that’s what we will do and probably skip Pisa.

On the Quest 9/5 with 2 day stop in Liverno. Want to spend first full day in Florence but do not want to chance missing ship on second day so we may just take the ship tour which only goes to Lucca?

Thanks again!

Please let us know how your decision works out.

On our October cruise, the Lucca On Your Own tour has been cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please let us know how your decision works out.

On our October cruise, the Lucca On Your Own tour has been cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was on the voyage planner last week but not there now so we will have to make other arrangements.

Visited Pisa last summer, as a stop on the drive from London to Sorrento. Not much to see outside the Campo Miracoli (where the leaning tower is). Very crowded with long queues, but it is worth seeing. We had a week in Lucca a few years back and it was delightful, a small medieval walled city.

It was on the voyage planner last week but not there now so we will have to make other arrangements.

Definitely Lucca! Last time in Livorno (2 years ago) we booked a private tour to Lucca with bob’s limos and are hoping to get a group together for our July cruise to do it again. We’ve used this company a few times and they have always been reliable. If you can get a group of six together the price is reasonable. Here’s a link to their website:

http://www.romelimousines.com/

Easy to take public transit from Livorno to Lucca. You will need to walk into town and take the bus to the train station. There are direct trains to Lucca. And you can see the Leaning Tower of Pisa from the train!!! Sit on the right side of the train as you head to Lucca.