Travel insurance

Jeanneagnes

We're getting ready to book a Viking Ocean Mediterranean Cruise for next summer. Trying to determine if we should purchase the travel insurance thru Viking or if we should look for an independent agent.

Thanks

Cruise Critic has a forum for travel insurance .

It is on its front page. I buy my insurance from there through a insurance store that deals in many policies. With my recent Viking sailing , i only needed to insure my deposit. When I made final payment I insured the rest and even added on a post extension ant. later. My main conccern was medical and evacuation. I found the right policy for me and the agent I talked to was wonderful . I have used them a number of times..

I do not buy insurace from any cruise line.

I use insuremytrip. Have for over 20 cruises probably. I do what Azulann does, I insure my deposit, then at final payment I insure the rest, and can increase the insurance amount if hotels, etc, add up to more. I always call them before I insure my deposit to make sure that the company I've chosen will allow me to do this. They also allow me to transfer the insurance to another cruise....if I decide to cancel the one that I insured, I transfer what I've paid to the new one. Be sure to insure within 2 weeks of initial payment so that your pre existing conditions are covered. The one time I had to cancel because of emergency surgery they reimbursed everything, including the amount AA charged me to put my FF miles back into my account.

Don't by from the cruise company. It won't cover anything you did not purchase through them, especially it will not cover non-refundable expenses that you paid in advance, like flights or hotels or even entrance tickets for museums or other attractions.

Most certainly do not buy insurance until you understand what is covered and what isn't and what you will be able to recover if you have to cancel at the last minute. You can research before you book and have time to read over what each insurance plan covers and doesn't cover.

To cover existing conditions, you must buy within 10-14 days of making your booking.

Consider purchasing an annual travel insurance. This may be the most cost effective product. In addition work out, in your own mind, which elements it is most important to insure. It may be that you have health conditions and would want all such costs, including repatriation to the USA, to be fully covered. Perhaps the cost of flights, cruise, hotels etc is more important to you. Lastly, perhaps your luggage and its contents are something you especially value and would want recompense for.

I would talk to an insurance broker and ensure that you get the best policy for your needs. Purchasing from the travel operator is never the best option. Enjoy your travels knowing that what is important to you is covered.

You can check to see what insurance may included with your credit card.

Our CC covers up to $5,000 (US) per person per trip. Trips over $10K total we purchase additional coverage via insuremytrip.

In addition, we purchase an annual travel medical policy.

I think you also need to verify whether the insurance cost is refunded in the event you cancel. Not sure if that varies depending on if you were to purchase from Viking vs. purchase on your own? Just something to be aware of as a possible non-reimbursed cost.

Consider purchasing an annual travel insurance. This may be the most cost effective product. In addition work out, in your own mind, which elements it is most important to insure. It may be that you have health conditions and would want all such costs, including repatriation to the USA, to be fully covered. Perhaps the cost of flights, cruise, hotels etc is more important to you. Lastly, perhaps your luggage and its contents are something you especially value and would want recompense for.

I would talk to an insurance broker and ensure that you get the best policy for your needs. Purchasing from the travel operator is never the best option. Enjoy your travels knowing that what is important to you is covered.

I have an annual policy..I am most concerned about the helicopter coming on the ship and transporting me to an hospital on land..I use roam right through squaremouth..like an insuremy trip comparison place..

Do not buy your insurance from Viking. Their company is awful with horrible reviews. It took 3 1/2 months to get our money refunded- and a lot of aggravation. Go to insure my trip and speak to an agent . They are very helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great info here. Some things we hadn't considered. Thank you. Viking does not refund if you cancel. In Canada we use ManuLife either though Costco or our agent. When we canceled our Caribbean cruise due to the Hurricanes, they transferred the insurance to our Cuba Panama Canal cruise. Easy peasy. No hassles.

We purchase an annual international medical and med evac policy and then use our Credit Cards for the travel. Sometimes we will split the cost over multiple cards if we are worried about the coverage limits. Only thing missing is the cancel for any reason feature, which in some cases is not a refund but a credit towards a future cruise in a limited time period with other qualifications. We don't don't go crazy with the international med sine the CC insurance also has med and evac. About $200 for 2 for the med and miles and cash back from the cards.

If anyone has the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card - they will cover you up to $10,000 per person - with a $20,000 limit. This is a great card for anyone that travels. While the card goes for $450 - as soon as you book any type of travel they will credit your account for $300. Points are built up fast and as stated above - great travel insurance coverage.