Gty cabin, "free" upgrade

AshleyJax

OP booked the lowest category on the ship. With that in mind OP could end up in ANY cabin on the ship, including the most expensive suite. This is what happens when you book that type of guarantee.

We will be on the Escape. When booking, I specifically asked does this guarantee mean that we will be on the 8th or 9th deck and their response was, "You are guaranteed to be in an inside cabin on the 8th or 9th deck, or potentially higher depending on availability." I realize that I misunderstood their response, but their response was not clear either. My question was explicitly asking about decks, not categories. So to assume that their response was referring to decks, not categories, is not a crazy conclusion. If their response was "or a higher category," I would have inquired further to gain better clarity.
Fyi I believe the other main cruise lines GTY operate similar. You're guaranteed that category or higher - nothing to do with deck or aft/mid/fwd position.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fyi I believe the other main cruise lines GTY operate similar. You're guaranteed that category or higher - nothing to do with deck or aft/mid/fwd position.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I generally cruise with Carnival, and have never heard of GTY rooms before I booked this cruise.

OP booked the lowest category on the ship. With that in mind OP could end up in ANY cabin on the ship, including the most expensive suite. This is what happens when you book that type of guarantee.

Correct. I have no idea why some think it is a high category inside.

No need to worry until there is something to worry about :)

We have done GTY before and enjoyed the savings and the excitement of being somewhere on the ship we may not have chosen.

Our family always finds something positive about the room. Most recently we were assigned deck 2!! Omg so LOW I thought!! I hated the idea until our first port day and we were on and off the ship in flash because the gangway was on deck 2. SO nice to come back hot and sweaty and be in your room without the elevator chaos

And I see I. You last post you realized... it’s always a great cabin because it is on a cruise ship

Deck 2?? Which ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To be clear, I am under no impression that I booked a "high category." I am fully aware that I saved money by booking a GTY room. I am completely fine with an inside cabin (I actually prefer them as I enjoy the total darkness), I just prefer the higher levels. When booking, I was under the impression that by booking a GTY room I was giving up the ability to select where on the deck I would end up (again completely okay with giving up that choice). What I misunderstood was how their categories worked and I could end up on a lower deck. First time booking on a cruise line other than Carnival. My question as been answered, family inside categories are considered an upgrade I guess and there is nothing to fix. I do wish the person I spoke with actually answered the question I asked (regarding DECKS, not CATEGORIES). Will any of this make or break our vacation, nope, we will still have a great time even with being in our cheapy cheap room.

I generally cruise with Carnival, and have never heard of GTY rooms before I booked this cruise.

CCL does have them, but with all the crazy rates that CCL has (non refundable, etc.) they can be hard to find. Usually with CCL the cheapest rate is that one that doesn't allow refunds of deposits.

Deck 2?? Which ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have sailed on deck 2 a number of times on Sea Dream. of course the cabins are all on decks 2, 3, and 4 so it is nto really a fair compairson. :)

To be clear, I am under no impression that I booked a "high category." I am fully aware that I saved money by booking a GTY room. I am completely fine with an inside cabin (I actually prefer them as I enjoy the total darkness), I just prefer the higher levels. When booking, I was under the impression that by booking a GTY room I was giving up the ability to select where on the deck I would end up (again completely okay with giving up that choice). What I misunderstood was how their categories worked and I could end up on a lower deck. First time booking on a cruise line other than Carnival. My question as been answered, family inside categories are considered an upgrade I guess and there is nothing to fix. I do wish the person I spoke with actually answered the question I asked (regarding DECKS, not CATEGORIES). Will any of this make or break our vacation, nope, we will still have a great time even with being in our cheapy cheap room.

Not sure what you have against floor 5, but I wanted to share one really big plus we discovered on our last cruise in a room on deck 5... you don’t have to wait for an elevator when you get back from port. (Assuming all are able to walk a flight of stairs).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Deck 5 makes it really easy to get off for excursions if it's port intensive.

That being said, only once in about 10 cruises have I ended up below 8 on a guarantee,,,and yup, it was my first cruise. I will say, way less seasickness there, and you just have to plan a bit. On a higher deck, you might go for breakfast and come back to change for the pool. On a lower deck, you might get organized and do all that stuff before you go to breakfast. Whatever you do, you got lots of time, you're on vaycay. You'll love NCL I am sure.

As some have asked for an update here ya go:

We decided to fully embrace the randomness of our booking type and put in a low bid for a balcony upgrade (just to add more unpredictability to the pot). Our bid was accepted and we ended up with a family balcony on the *drumroll*..........9th floor!

We decided to fully embrace the randomness of our booking type and put in a low bid for a balcony upgrade (just to add more unpredictability to the pot). Our bid was accepted and we ended up with a family balcony on the *drumroll*..........9th floor!

Fantastic! Sounds like it’s all worked out perfectly [emoji4]

I was wondering when you received the invite to bid on an upgrade? I’m booked in a Gty inside room this October and would love an opportunity to bid, but I wasn’t sure they’d offer it to my category.

Nice!! Congratulations!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Fantastic! Sounds like it’s all worked out perfectly [emoji4]

I was wondering when you received the invite to bid on an upgrade? I’m booked in a Gty inside room this October and would love an opportunity to bid, but I wasn’t sure they’d offer it to my category.

This was kind of a last minute trip for us, we booked two months out and were offered bids the next day. We were debating if we wanted to bid, and only recently decided to put in a bid.

Do you mind sharing what you bid? I have a cruise in January and I'm debating gambling on an upgrade. We're in an ocean view and would love to step up to a balcony.

Do you mind sharing what you bid? I have a cruise in January and I'm debating gambling on an upgrade. We're in an ocean view and would love to step up to a balcony.

We bid $100pp, which was in the "poor" range. I think there are a lot of variables that come into play. We are excited for the upgrade, but would have been fine with the inside room (even on the 5th floor ;p) so were comfortable bidding in the low range.

We bid $100pp, which was in the "poor" range. I think there are a lot of variables that come into play. We are excited for the upgrade, but would have been fine with the inside room (even on the 5th floor ;p) so were comfortable bidding in the low range.

That's awesome! Right now, my January cruise is around $400/person difference between ocean view and balcony so if we could get an upgrade for around $200... That sounds a lot better than $800!