Expensive Cruise Thread

But I’m not overly impressed, by so called luxury lines.

Good for you.

As I said to another poster above, something you don’t like isn’t a luxury to you, but might be a luxury to someone else.

Is your objection to the so called luxury lines that they don’t offer the entertainment and the wide choice of dining options that large ships have?

I enjoy the all inclusive fare on the luxury ships and the fact that everyone is treated the same no matter what sort of cabin they have. Also for someone like me with a bit of a phobia about crowds, I enjoy the fact that there’s only a small number of passengers.

Do you mean the Weddell Sea ? It's 95% packice so there are no cruises through it. I went through it in an icebreaker in 2010 right across to the Atka Ice Port but that's a trip that sadly will never be on offer again. A couple of expedition ships make attempts to jiggle their way into the entrance of it to poke around a bit near the sound and Paulet Island etc. Quark vessel got stuck there for 8 days in Feb.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:') I must have been half asleep not only did I make a spelling mistake I wrote the wrong sea:eek:. I was meant to say a cruise to the Ross Sea;p. Though your trip through the Weddell Sea sounds fascinating:cool:

That article mentions Abramovich’s yacht Eclipse. We were parked next to it at St Barth on NYE 2016. We were on SeaDream II which isn’t much bigger than Abaramovich’s gleaming yacht.

James Packer’s yacht was also close by.

That was the night when AC/DC came on the sound system after midnight and my wife and I taught a group of wealthy middle aged Americans, Brits and Europeans to play the air guitar in the style of Angus Young strutting around the stage in time to the music.

Being able to go to yachting ports like that is, as you say, one of the great advantages of sailing on the small luxury cruise ships.

While that would have been fun, are you sure the Americans knew what you were doing?;p Did any of them call for a medic?;p

Good for you.

As I said to another poster above, something you don’t like isn’t a luxury to you, but might be a luxury to someone else.

Is your objection to the so called luxury lines that they don’t offer the entertainment and the wide choice of dining options that large ships have?

I enjoy the all inclusive fare on the luxury ships and the fact that everyone is treated the same no matter what sort of cabin they have. Also for someone like me with a bit of a phobia about crowds, I enjoy the fact that there’s only a small number of passengers.

No I don’t like large ships either.

My min complaint is I don’t see value in mos5 luxury ships, guess if I still drank I might see it different, also seldom do organised tours, don’t really want internet, that means work. So can’t justify the costs, if I could sail on a 20,000T 150 pax ship with none of those “extras” for maybe $300-350 a day for a balcony I’d be happy as.

No, if money is no object they say Pacific Princess is on the market. That’d do me to drift around on, as long as someone is paying the costs.

Azamara will buy it, like they bought the Adonia we were booked on for Europe. :evilsmile:

No I don’t like large ships either.

My min complaint is I don’t see value in mos5 luxury ships, guess if I still drank I might see it different, also seldom do organised tours, don’t really want internet, that means work. So can’t justify the costs, if I could sail on a 20,000T 150 pax ship with none of those “extras” for maybe $300-350 a day for a balcony I’d be happy as.

But what if money was no object?

While that would have been fun, are you sure the Americans knew what you were doing?;p Did any of them call for a medic?;p

Tee hee. Actually the Americans were pretty cool, as they knew about AC/DC. In fact these Americans were so cool they even had a sense of irony. :D

Tee hee. Actually the Americans were pretty cool, as they knew about AC/DC. In fact these Americans were so cool they even had a sense of irony. :D

LOL, I thought Americans only got Irony in a Princess or HAL laundry.

:') I must have been half asleep not only did I make a spelling mistake I wrote the wrong sea:eek:. I was meant to say a cruise to the Ross Sea;p. Though your trip through the Weddell Sea sounds fascinating:cool:

LOL I did wonder - as you had mentioned Ross Sea on older threads! Ortelius will be doing USH > NZ, NZ to USH Ross sea trip again in 2020. Start saving.

My other dream "money is no object" trip is to simply buy a permanent apartment on The World and never live on land again.