Packing Guide for Alaska

alainamarie

I wouldn't have thought to bring a diffuser either...just be aware that many essential oils are flammable...and flammable liquids aren't allowed on board. Some essential oils are very expensive so just be ware...I wouldn't want to risk losing some of what I've invested in essential oils due to flammability classification.

I wouldn't have thought to bring a diffuser either...just be aware that many essential oils are flammable...and flammable liquids aren't allowed on board. Some essential oils are very expensive so just be ware...I wouldn't want to risk losing some of what I've invested in essential oils due to flammability classification.

Thank you! I’m only bringing a couple of oils with me and neither are flammable. I was surprised at the number of oils that are!

Thank you for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve had a few questions about packing cubes - what are they, how do you use them.

I’m starting to pack for my cruise next weekend and as I filled up the cubes, I took a couple of photos to help demonstrate.

75784518eafa63fcca644da1cb431829.jpg

0d3c848669f41def617738b9ae24941a.jpg

This is a smaller cube that I placed my 4 folded sweaters. It’s easy to unpack your cubes if you pack like things with like things.

Yes, I unpack everything from my suitcase and bring a garbage bag for dirty clothes.

But..how do you carry those 6-7 bags?

They all fit into my suitcase. The packing cubes just keep the clothing together. I have one cube for sweaters, then bottoms, tops, and dresses. Just helps to keep things organized. I don’t always use them.

Don't forget - put some of your packing cubes in your travel companion's checked bag (and vice versa).

Make sure that the packing cube you put in the other person's bag, contains a complete outfit. Just a little insurance in case a bag doesn't make it.

07cf163c0be7987d45c312eec4559012.jpg

I am on this cruise on the Jewel with you. This is my carryon all packed and ready to go. In the bottom roll, I have 9 shirts, 5 pairs of pants, cuddleduds for extra layer/ warmth, gloves. In the pouch, I have my chargers. In the red bag is my coat and I have another baggie with toiletries. I am unsure whether to not bring a coat and buy one instead in Ketchikan which I plan on doing anyway. I have never used packing cubes. Would they take up less space than I have here?

The container has a baggie with my underwear. I put the baggie in the food container which I use to store any food I bring back from the dining room. I have blood sugar issues so I need to have food near me always. Then I put fragile items that I buy wrapped in bubble wrap in the container as extra protection for the trip home. The leftover room is for souvenirs. I buy a T-shirt wherever I go and use that as a cover up or to sleep in if I buy more than one

If you pack fine without cubes, there isn't a reason to use them. I'm super obsessive about many things, but I can't use packing cubes satisfactorily. I have one small one I use to isolate lingerie and that's it. I love bags - I have a ton of small nylon bags I use for various items (usually the small bags that come with my lesportsac totes) - makeup, jewelry, cables.....

Beat place to order packing cubes? Thanks.

The Container Store is currently running their annual travel sale. They have the packing cubes, envelopes, etc. I also found a great travel purse there last year.

Enjoy Alaska!

Patti

https://www.containerstore.com/s/travel/totes-bags/baggallini-pacific-blue-city-tote/12d?productId=11005552

This is the purse/tote I bought last summer. It's nylon and easy to clean. The outside pocket unzips at the bottom so that you can slip it over the bars of your rolling luggage as you navigate the airport. It's large enough for a bottle of water, a Kindle, camera, etc. The inside zippered pouch was just right for my passport.

It's well made and should last through many more travels.

Patti

If you pack fine without cubes, there isn't a reason to use them. I'm super obsessive about many things, but I can't use packing cubes satisfactorily. I have one small one I use to isolate lingerie and that's it. I love bags - I have a ton of small nylon bags I use for various items (usually the small bags that come with my lesportsac totes) - makeup, jewelry, cables.....

I totally agree with you. I rarely use them but find it helpful to separate layers. I don’t have a lot of “other” bags, so everything fit fine so far. :)

07cf163c0be7987d45c312eec4559012.jpg

I am on this cruise on the Jewel with you. This is my carryon all packed and ready to go. In the bottom roll, I have 9 shirts, 5 pairs of pants, cuddleduds for extra layer/ warmth, gloves. In the pouch, I have my chargers. In the red bag is my coat and I have another baggie with toiletries. I am unsure whether to not bring a coat and buy one instead in Ketchikan which I plan on doing anyway. I have never used packing cubes. Would they take up less space than I have here?

It just depends on how much you’re putting in each. It worked well for me, but you’re packing into a smaller bag than me (congrats on that by the way! I’m envious!!). I’ll post of a photo of my suitcase. I’m bringing a separate bag for our toiletries and my husband’s fishing gear. He uses a Patagonia bag that I find ridiculous for a long trip. It’s not even a suitcase! So I’m bringing the extra smaller bag for our extras.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/travel/totes-bags/baggallini-pacific-blue-city-tote/12d?productId=11005552

This is the purse/tote I bought last summer. It's nylon and easy to clean. The outside pocket unzips at the bottom so that you can slip it over the bars of your rolling luggage as you navigate the airport. It's large enough for a bottle of water, a Kindle, camera, etc. The inside zippered pouch was just right for my passport.

It's well made and should last through many more travels.

Patti

I’ve heard wonderful things about the baggalini! I just don’t need a new bag right now. I also love the container store!

Thanks for reading :)

Thank you for the helpful tips. I am also from the Seattle area so luggage space will not be an issue when we sail to Alaska this Sept. I will also be on a Caribbean cruise next March and I will have your tips on hand.

Thank you for the helpful tips. I am also from the Seattle area so luggage space will not be an issue when we sail to Alaska this Sept. I will also be on a Caribbean cruise next March and I will have your tips on hand.

Thank you for reading! Living in Seattle provides the luxury of packing a few more items that you wouldn’t typically pack if you needed to be mindful with Airlines. I’ll be doing a full photo review of my cruise on the jewel next week, hopefully that will help, too!

Alaina