Just Off Sapphire Princess - Random Information

Rubynic

Just off the Sapphire Princess today after a week long cruise to France & Spain out of Southampton. I have been on several cruises - mainly Princess - and have learned lots from Cruise critic so I thought I would share a few of my thoughts & observations. I travelled with my friend & neither of us are fussy & over critical- we just love being on board, being spoiled for a week & enjoying the entertainment.

- This was the first cruise out of Southampton after the transit from Singapore. There were 2,799 passengers on board - approx 2,400 from the UK, 200 US & a mix of other nationalities.

- The ship was in good condition with new carpets & fabrics evident throughout. There is 1 less passenger deck than Emerald/Ruby/Crown but seems to be the same amount of passenger spaces so it never really felt crowded - only on the final sea day when the weather was not too good so the majority of passengers were inside.

- I exchanged my Elite Minibar set up for 2 coffee cards - they have no expiry date & the ship name & voyage was not written on them.

- As the majority of the passengers were from the UK & tend to eat later it was easy to get a table in the Anytime dining room at 5.30/6 pm. Sapphire has 4 smaller dining rooms in the middle of the ship instead of the 2 larger ones. There seemed to be plenty of tables for 2 & we never had a problem getting one. There were some queues later on but never very long.

- The production shows included Born to be Wild & Do You Wanna Dance. The singers & dancers were all excellent. There was also a guest Headline vocalist - Gareth Gates. Known to UK passengers but probably not to others. This show was very popular & we did not get to see it. Usually you could get a seat up to 10/15 mins before the show started but this one filled up much quicker.

- We signed up for the Escape Room but due to technical difficulties with the software this had to be cancelled.

- The Cruise Director (Paul Chandler-Burns) and his team were very entertaining & friendly - lots of events organised. Some were not very well attended but maybe this is due to many new Princess cruisers who were unaware of them (Duke Christopher is taking over on the next cruise for the next couple of months)

- Service throughout the ship was good & mainly quick.

- Meals in the dining room were good with some British dishes added to the Princess standards. And all hot when they should be.

- The Princess beds were very comfortable - perfect for a good nights sleep after a busy day onboard or ashore.

I think that’s most things covered - if you have any questions let me know & I’ll try & answer - passes the time till my next cruise 🛳😊

Fully concur with everything you said. We had a really good week also. Unfortunately there was a request yesterday for blood donors on-board for a critically ill person. This person was later evacuated from the ship by helicopter to Plymouth. Hoping that everything goes well for them?

Just off the Sapphire Princess today after a week long cruise to France & Spain out of Southampton. I have been on several cruises - mainly Princess - and have learned lots from Cruise critic so I thought I would share a few of my thoughts & observations. I travelled with my friend & neither of us are fussy & over critical- we just love being on board, being spoiled for a week & enjoying the entertainment.

- This was the first cruise out of Southampton after the transit from Singapore. There were 2,799 passengers on board - approx 2,400 from the UK, 200 US & a mix of other nationalities.

- The ship was in good condition with new carpets & fabrics evident throughout. There is 1 less passenger deck than Emerald/Ruby/Crown but seems to be the same amount of passenger spaces so it never really felt crowded - only on the final sea day when the weather was not too good so the majority of passengers were inside.

- I exchanged my Elite Minibar set up for 2 coffee cards - they have no expiry date & the ship name & voyage was not written on them.

- As the majority of the passengers were from the UK & tend to eat later it was easy to get a table in the Anytime dining room at 5.30/6 pm. Sapphire has 4 smaller dining rooms in the middle of the ship instead of the 2 larger ones. There seemed to be plenty of tables for 2 & we never had a problem getting one. There were some queues later on but never very long.

- The production shows included Born to be Wild & Do You Wanna Dance. The singers & dancers were all excellent. There was also a guest Headline vocalist - Gareth Gates. Known to UK passengers but probably not to others. This show was very popular & we did not get to see it. Usually you could get a seat up to 10/15 mins before the show started but this one filled up much quicker.

- We signed up for the Escape Room but due to technical difficulties with the software this had to be cancelled.

- The Cruise Director (Paul Chandler-Burns) and his team were very entertaining & friendly - lots of events organised. Some were not very well attended but maybe this is due to many new Princess cruisers who were unaware of them (Duke Christopher is taking over on the next cruise for the next couple of months)

- Service throughout the ship was good & mainly quick.

- Meals in the dining room were good with some British dishes added to the Princess standards. And all hot when they should be.

- The Princess beds were very comfortable - perfect for a good nights sleep after a busy day onboard or ashore.

I think that’s most things covered - if you have any questions let me know & I’ll try & answer - passes the time till my next cruise [emoji924][emoji4]

Can you tell me who was playing in Crooners?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with everything you wrote, in fact I had to double check I hadn’t written it. 😜

except I did skip dinner in the MDR to get in to the theatre to see Gareth Gates, and I really enjoyed his show.

We used a coffee card from a previous cruise and that did not have voyage or date added to it, nor was any comment made about it being the old style. Mostly used for punched coffee only once for a pot of tea, and I would have been happy if they had used a punch but they did not.

My husband and I bought the thermal suite pass and on the 7 day cruise it was $149 per couple $99 for a single.

Having read lots of negative posts regarding the $6.50 drinks menu in the elite lounge, it was a pleasant surprise to me, I enjoyed the drinks I had. Maybe they are more suited to UK female tastes ?

For those interested the on demand TV is still unreliable. However, the positioning of the new large TV’s at the end of the bed is an improvement on the old tV, and with those moved creates a nice area for charging cameras and iPads etc.

I enjoyed the musician in Crooners and his name escapes me, from memory it was 2 four letter names, Nano? Pedo? I did not bring any patters Home so hopefully someone else can advise.

Drinks prices are about the same level as as they have always been. Although I did notice more individual pricing rather than all on the page being the same price.

I drink cocktails/martinis and these ranged from $7.75 to $9.50 plus gratuity in Crooners. The wine by the glass I drank in Vines was $8.

Cans of soft drink $2.95

Milkshakes from swirls still included with the soda and more package.

Hello

Can you give an idea of bar / drink prices ? Thanks

Beers were approx $6/$7 and most cocktails around $8/$9. There is a 15% gratuity added to all bar purchases. We don’t drink wine - I think they start from $30 a bottle. If you have a particular one you like (particularly from the more expensive range) it may be worth considering bringing some on board & paying the $15 (£11) corkage feel so you can drink it in the Dining Rooms. If you like soft drinks & mocktails the package is just over £40 for the week - there is a mocktail menu but the bar staff will make any virgin cocktail for you. Includes hot chocolate as well

I enjoyed the musician in Crooners and his name escapes me, from memory it was 2 four letter names, Nano? Pedo? I did not bring any patters Home so hopefully someone else can advise.

We weren't on the cruise but, from what you are recollecting, I'd guess it was Nano Prado. He sings in English and Italian. He was very popular on our 28 day cruise last year. He took requests and, if he didn't know the song, came back the next night and performed it then. I will never, ever, be able to forget him. He sang a song that I don't really care for at all (Tie A Yellow Ribbon) but the way he sang it due to his accent will always stay with me. I have to wonder how one can Tie a Jello Ribbon 'round the old oak tree... ;p

Yes it was Nano Prado in Crooners, not very interactive with the audience, but an amazing singer.

Thought the ships dancers and singers were probably the worst we have seen on Princess. We left 2 of their shows early.

Everything else agree with the OP.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great reviews. Have a few questions to help you while away your wait until your next cruise:

What is the Elite mini bar?

Is the thermal ticket worth it?

What were some of the daily activities put on? Were they anygood? How did you make sure you found out about all of them?

What is Crooners? Assume it is a bar but can’t find any listof restaurants or bars on this ship – do you know what these are? Swirls –assume an ice cream bar?

Where did you most enjoy eating? Was there anywhere you didnot like?

Soda cans were $2.95 – the canned soda package which says get 6for the price of 5 is $11.50 which doesnot seem to tally with $2.95 each?

Why would someone buy the water package that is sold? Is there not water available on board or in the cabins?

The coffee card - why would you need this? Does it cover coffee type cold frappacino drinks or just hot coffees?

Did you purchase an internet package? Were there any public areas with good internet?

Thanks very much :)

Hello

Can you give an idea of bar / drink prices ? Thanks

i

I just posted pics of all drink menus a couple weeks ago. Click on my screen name and do a search for the post that is entitled Royal Princess 4/9-4/16. Sorry, but I am not in s position right this minute to attach the link.

I have thought of some more questions since my earlier post :)

How did you find out what is going on on board did you use the princess at sea app?

Were there any areas of free wifi on the ship and, if so, where?

Thanks very much.

I have thought of some more questions since my earlier post :)

How did you find out what is going on on board did you use the princess at sea app?

Were there any areas of free wifi on the ship and, if so, where?

Thanks very much.

You find out what's on via the Princess Patter which is delivered to your stateroom the evening before, also online at princess@sea. You can connect to princess@sea for free, but its limited to the ship INTRANET. No free wifi anywhere on ship, unless you're Elite or Platinum Captains Circle level who receive a crrtain number of free minutes depending on length of cruise.

You find out what's on via the Princess Patter which is delivered to your stateroom the evening before, also online at princess@sea. You can connect to princess@sea for free, but its limited to the ship INTRANET. No free wifi anywhere on ship, unless you're Elite or Platinum Captains Circle level who receive a crrtain number of free minutes depending on length of cruise.

Thanks very much. I found this on the following cruise critic article (https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=45 and thought it meant free wifi in some areas - is that not right then?

Internet and Wi-Fi: Wireless hotspots are available in public areas and cabins on all ships. All Princess ships also have internet cafes. High-bandwidth activities like VoIP and streaming video might be restricted onboard ships. Download the free Princess@Sea Messenger app to chat with other passengers at sea. (You'll need to purchase a usage package to use the app while onboard.)princess

Thanks for the great reviews. Have a few questions to help you while away your wait until your next cruise:

What were some of the daily activities put on? Were they anygood? How did you make sure you found out about all of them?

What is Crooners? Assume it is a bar but can’t find any listof restaurants or bars on this ship – do you know what these are? Swirls –assume an ice cream bar?

Soda cans were $2.95 – the canned soda package which says get 6for the price of 5 is $11.50 which doesnot seem to tally with $2.95 each?

Why would someone buy the water package that is sold? Is there not water available on board or in the cabins?

The coffee card - why would you need this? Does it cover coffee type cold frappacino drinks or just hot coffees?

Did you purchase an internet package? Were there any public areas with good internet?

Elite minibar is only for people who have e reached Elite level in the Captains circle.

Crooner's is the piano bar with a pianist performing every night.

Swirls is free ice cream - vanilla, chocolate or vanilla & chocolate.

The water package costs about $8 for 12 500ml bottles, onboard they cost $2 ea. We use them to take ashore on port days. Water machines in buffet, but you're not suppose to refill bottles for hygiene reasons. Water from the sink taps in your bathroom is drinkable but not to everyones taste.

The only free coffee onboard is normally breed coffee in the buffett and restaurants. All other 'Speciality' coffees incur a charge which the coffee card covers for a set number of speciality coffees.

Thanks very much. I found this on the following cruise critic article (https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=45 and thought it meant free wifi in some areas - is that not right then?

Internet and Wi-Fi: Wireless hotspots are available in public areas and cabins on all ships. All Princess ships also have internet cafes. High-bandwidth activities like VoIP and streaming video might be restricted onboard ships. Download the free Princess@Sea Messenger app to chat with other passengers at sea. (You'll need to purchase a usage package to use the app while onboard.)princess

No free wifi, as in emails, facebook, bbc.co.uk etc. Its just for you to access onboard services ie. Onboard account, book shore excursions, princess patter etc.

A perk for elite members of Princess captains circle loyalty scheme.

It is too me, I enjoy an hour or so there each day. It has aromatic steam room, sauna and heated stone beds.

You will receive a copy of the Princess Patter, which lists all daily activities, or you can log into Princess @ sea to view on you phone etc.

Our cruise director was only on for 7 days, new cruise director will have their own programme. But you can expect trivia, arts and crafts, enrichment talks, dance classes etc.

Answered below

Ginger beer was $2.95 a can, as were bottles of J20. It is entirely possible that Coca Cola and sprite remain at $2, but I did not buy these.

Yes, water is available around the ship, the water from the tap in the bathroom, whilst drinkable will not be cold. Personally I do not drink bathroom water, either onboard or at home, but that is my choice.

No such purchase is a “need” you may want to buy it if you enjoy coffee drinks. Yes, it does include cold coffee based drinks.

I did not purchase an internet package, but did have good internet in our stateroom forward on C Deck. If you are asking about free WiFi in public areas that does not exist on the ship.

Hi Fairy 100, not wishing to be rude, but have you looked at the Princess.website? Under on board our ships you can select Sapphire Princess and it has quite comprehensive information on the venues onboard. Plus good deckplans.

Food is subjective, but No I did not have anything I did not like. However, the fact that I am familiar with Princess menus helped me in my choices. I found the food to be good quality and the seasoning on this cruise suited my palette.

May I ask a question, Have you booked a cruise on Sapphire Princess, or any other ship? If yes what encouraged you to do so?

I am always curious and perhaps over cautious, but I do wonder why people don’t ask these sort of questions before booking.