Flight Change

mteastlake

New Cruisers

Hi there, me and my husband will be going on our first cruise on June 10 Norwegian Getaway. After booking our flights, the airlines changed our flight times. Now, our flight will leave out at 7PM Departure time. We now decided to stay on ship the lastest possible time. I know we can go sightseeing in Miami until we go to the airport, but what do we do with our suitcases? We thought about shipping our suitcases home to Ohio, but it looks like ups store is closed on Sundays. Any suggestions please.

Staying onboard late is kinda terrible! It’s only about leaving. And you have to vacate your room. We had this recently so Ubered to airport and picked up a rental car. Spent the day sightseeing and extending our holiday. Lots of great places to eat in Miami! Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the Norwegian website or the NCL board here on cruise critic (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107) to see if they offer a 'luggage valet' program for Miami cruises. That program picks up your luggage the night before disembarkation and the next time you see it is at your home airport. Of course you will still have your carry-on with you. I would also ask your question on the Florida Board (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495). There are lots of locals and experienced cruisers on that Board who will have recommendations.

Rent a vehicle for the minimum twenty four hour rate and checkout the area. You have a place to leave your luggage and spend a few hours to explore the area. Grab a nice lunch, sit on the beach, and then head over to the airport. Return the rental vehicle, checkin at the airport and enjoy your flight home. As for leaving the ship, they usually want you out of the cabin by 8:00AM and off the ship before 10:00AM. They need to get the ship down to a zero count before they can begin to allow new passengers to board the vessel for the next voyage.

You will have to get off the ship by around 9am no matter what, so there's really no point in hanging around for nothing. Budget, Avis and Enterprise all have offices about 2 miles from the Port of Miami and free shuttles at the port to get to them. Luggage goes in the trunk for the day and you drop your car at the Miami Airport at the end of the day. Easy!

Call your airline and tell them their change won't work for you. They will change it if there's another flight, or cancel it with no penalty to you and you can book a better flight. Staying on the ship is NOT fun. You won't have a cabin after 8am or so....call the airline.

As one poster suggested, consider renting a car for the day. You can store your luggage in the trunk and then you have the car to explore the Miami area and later get you out to the airport. Alamo used to offer free shuttle service from the Port to their MIA Rental Car center. Most of the other rental car companies offer shuttles for a small fee. There are also a few closer rental car places in Miami although you might have to use a taxi or Uber for the short haul.

Most of the cruise lines will kick you off the ship by 10am (or earlier) because they must comply with the US CBP rules which require the ship to be "zeroed out" before they can be cleared to begin boarding for the next cruise. Zeroing out mean that every passenger must be off the ship and accounted for....even passengers that might be staying on for the next cruise.

Hank

If the airline has a lot of flights per day, you may be able to check in and check your luggage early.

Then pick up a rental car and go have fun.

If you only have carry on, skip the early check in, and just get a rental car.

New Cruisers

Hi there, me and my husband will be going on our first cruise on June 10 Norwegian Getaway. After booking our flights, the airlines changed our flight times. Now, our flight will leave out at 7PM Departure time. We now decided to stay on ship the lastest possible time. I know we can go sightseeing in Miami until we go to the airport, but what do we do with our suitcases? We thought about shipping our suitcases home to Ohio, but it looks like ups store is closed on Sundays. Any suggestions please.

Get a day room at a hotel. It won't cost any more than a car, and you can enjoy the day, then clean up before you head to the airport a couple of hours before you flight.

Google hotel rooms by the day Miami to find a booking site.