Internet package help

noangel1981

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide which internet package to get. I need to be able to get email from a website, download books to my kindle paper-white and use an app on my phone that forecasts the Northern lights(10 day rt cruise to Alaska).Here are the options in my cruise planner:

Internet Access - Purchase Pre-Cruise And Save!

Quantity

Item-6405 FormPrincessCONNECT — Premium Package

$139.99

0 1234

From e-mail to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access!

Original price: $179.99 USD

All Internet usage subject to Princess Cruises' standard policies, which may limit browsing of sites due to network security and bandwidth usage. Applications that use high bandwidth may be blocked and offerings subject to change.

Add to Cart

Item-6404 FormPrincessCONNECT — Surf Package

$99.99

0 1234

Surf your favorite sites from e-mail, news, sports and more, enjoying unlimited access.*

Original price: $129.99 USD

*May not allow for audio/video calling and streaming.

Add to Cart

Item-6403 FormPrincessCONNECT — Social Package

$69.99

0 1234

Unlimited access to the most popular social websites and applications.*

Original price: $84.99 USD

*May not allow for audio/video calling and streaming.

Add to Cart

Thanks for the help.

I don't understand the need to download books. I just put a bunch of books on my devices before cruising. Actually, I almost always have a bunch of books on my devices. I certainly wouldn't want to spend my time downloading them over the two-cans-on-a-string version of Internet access on a Princess ship.

I used the Social Package in April and it gave access to mail and Facebook and most of my accounts.

Was your mail

a) web based such as Gmail or Yahoo

or

b) using an application such as Outlook

Why would you need to connect your Kindle to download books? I load mine up and delete as I read. I get books from my library in the days before departing. Right now, I have over 700 books on my Paperwhite and it is about 3/4 full.

It appears you may be sailing on the Grand; is that right??

If so, just got off the Grand and one of the staff indicated the internet wouldn't be sufficient for streaming movies or anything like that ... not yet, anyway. We didn't go for the premium package and we were ok with checking emails and even facebook and cruise critic from our cabin. I could not connect to the internet at all on the upper decks the ship, namely, near the Sanctuary and above the pool areas. I would download my books prior to the trip ... you should be fine checking a that aurora borealis website with the basic package and if you have trouble, just go down near the internet cafe for a better connection. Our cabin was on deck 6 and didn't have any trouble there.

I have used their internet services up in Alaska before and there are places that you just won't get any connection at all ...namely in the more remote areas such as when traveling out to view the glacier. Just make sure you look up what you need to do when near one of the ports of call and you should be ok.

Was your mail

or

does that make a huge difference?? - I use Outlook aka Hotmail..and couldn't access it on the Regal even with Medallionnet...

"server busy"

wife had 0 problems doing whatever it is she does, including fakebook and facetime..

Was your mail

or

does that make a huge difference??

It might with the basic "social" package. That is why I was asking. With web based you are downloading just one e-mail at a time. With a program like Outlook you will download all the mail that is awaiting you and I was wondering if that would work with the social package.

Not entirely relevant here, but when you are paying by the minute, and using Outlook, go into webmail first and delete the spam and stuff you do not want, down load the rest to outlook, then log off. Do your emails and replies off line, including SEND. When finished off line logon, the emails will be sent, then log off. If you download all your junk and compose stuff online, you will chew up internet minutes needlessly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am actually amazed at how fast books download to my Kindle App on my tablet, even on cruise ships.

That said, I usually try to have sufficient reading material already available when I board but have managed to run out.

Honestly' date=' this is cheap compare to the "per minute" packages Princess offers.

Because you want to download books, I'd go with the premium package. You could probably do it at the middle tier, but it would take longer.[/quote']

Even better... Plan ahead and download enough for the cruise at home-connection speed.