Five people in a grand suite?

My family of four is already booked in a four person grand suite (handicap) cabin U70 on elation.

We are thinking of bringing my MIL with us, therefor causing us to need to change our room to one of the extended balcony suites (U89 to U101).

Our current room description says one upper Pullman, one single sofa bed. The carnival agent said it will be exactly as described.

The new room description says one upper Pullman and a double sofa bed. My worry is that the double sofa isn’t large enough to hold my son (8) and my MIL (who is not petite). My daughter will go on the upper Pullman.

Anyone know about the extended balcony rooms and the bed spacing? Do you think we would have enough space?

Does it say it’s a 5 person cabin or a 4 person cabin?

Occupancy is regulated by Safety At Sea regulations.

The one we are currently booked is 4 person. The one we are considering changing to is 5 person cabin. The main difference, according to the description, is the single sofa versus the double sofa, and the extended balcony.

I’d like to know if double sofa can really fit two people or not.

The one we are currently booked is 4 person. The one we are considering changing to is 5 person cabin. The main difference, according to the description, is the single sofa versus the double sofa, and the extended balcony.

I’d like to know if double sofa can really fit two people or not.

We've had the double sofa in the past and it does fit 2...but, found it to be not very comfortable. I wouldn't think an older adult would like it. It was fine for our then 11 year old boys. Really just depends if the MIL is a picky sleeper...I'm 6 foot 200 and wouldn't want to sleep on it.

Also, are all of the other regular grand suites booked? I think about 10 or so of them allow 5 people. I forgot the part about the extended balcony and it is very nice...but not a deal breaker for us. The normal balcony is pretty darn big.

Our double sofa that I mentioned before was in a grand suite. the room to me was pretty much double a normal room so 5 people and bed spacing is not a problem...just depends where you place the trundle.

What ship is this on? Most ships the suites only hold 4, so Im guessing this is a new cabin type on a ship that has newer cabins.

Have you priced connecting cabins? Im guessing you cant downgrade or something? Hopefully your TA is correct and it is indeed a cabin for 5, but it sounds tight. Depends on the size of the people about sharing a bed.

Agree that the sofa bed is not that great and not really big enough for a full size adult and an average size kid, but if you were in one of the large suites and if your kid is like most, there is plenty of space on the floor to crash camping-style. I assume you absolutely require the handicap room? Because in the aft balcony cabin you will have hardly any floor space with the sofa made into the bed. You will barely be able to get to the bathroom at night past it. Some of the other, non handicap suites do hold the 5th person.

Edited by KmomChicago

What ship is this on? Most ships the suites only hold 4, so Im guessing this is a new cabin type on a ship that has newer cabins.

Have you priced connecting cabins? Im guessing you cant downgrade or something? Hopefully your TA is correct and it is indeed a cabin for 5, but it sounds tight. Depends on the size of the people about sharing a bed.

They're on the Elation so several of the GS hold 5 people. Those rooms are much better for 5...only way I'd want to have 5 in one room.

They're on the Elation so several of the GS hold 5 people. Those rooms are much better for 5...only way I'd want to have 5 in one room.

Edited by jason534
double post - please delete

The only other options left on this cruise is the five person grand suite (which is down the hall, same type of room, but has extended balcony). My current room is considered handicap so maybe that's why it's only 4 person. I have priced getting another cabin (interior) on the same deck, but it's $1200 (the price of two people). They won't let me downgrade my current cabin on the same ship.

Personally, I would change to 2 balconies! Or a balcony and an inside across the hall. Let MIL take the kids in her room - you know, the price of a free vacation! We did that numerous times and it was fantastic to have the separate space, and the 2 bathrooms. It is easy enough to get keys so everyone can enjoy the balcony.

Our experience with a grand suite was when our children we elementary school age and they shared the sofa bed just fine. But as an adult, there would be serious comfort issues. Keep in mind that the sofa bed stay out, and the room is not returned to a sitting area, which for me, meant no enjoyment of the living area in the suite. So much to my stewards dismay, I unmade the bed each day and returned it to a couch. He had to remake it each night and was tipped well for his extra work!

OP you mentioned handicap cabin, I just looked and non of the GS extended balcony's show as handicap. Maybe the deck plan isn't updated since the last dry dock but you may want to double check with whoever is handling your booking.

If at all possible try and get 2 cabins. It's hard for me to imagine my mom sleeping on a pullout couch for a week. Talk about uncomfortable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Well, I've toyed with the idea of changing ships and destinations altogether. Carnival Triumph goes to Cozumel same dates, but then I incur a $200 change fee ($50 pp). The cost difference is $415 plus the fee to total $615, which is a balcony and an interior, which isn't awful. It's just that we've been to Mexico twice, but never to the Bahamas. I don't love the idea of handing over $200 for no reason though.

OP you mentioned handicap cabin, I just looked and non of the GS extended balcony's show as handicap. Maybe the deck plan isn't updated since the last dry dock but you may want to double check with whoever is handling your booking.

My current booked GS cabin is handicapped. The change would take us out of handicap and into the extended balcony suite.

The only differences in the suites are the change from handicap to non-handicap, the balcony, the shower goes to a tub, and the sofa bed is supposedly a double instead of a single sofa.

Agree that the sofa bed is not that great and not really big enough for a full size adult and an average size kid, but if you were in one of the large suites and if your kid is like most, there is plenty of space on the floor to crash camping-style. I assume you absolutely require the handicap room? Because in the aft balcony cabin you will have hardly any floor space with the sofa made into the bed. You will barely be able to get to the bathroom at night past it. Some of the other, non handicap suites do hold the 5th person.

No, we don't need the handicap room, but the agent booked us there as it was the only GS left for four people. They won't let you book the Extended balcony suite with only four people.

I am not sure it's a great idea for her to share the double sofa....if in fact it really is double size. She's not a small woman. She's tall in stature and wide in girth. I'd rather have two pullmans, a single sofa, and the king, but I can't find that option anywhere.

I'd prefer to have two rooms on this same ship, but they won't let me downgrade from the GS even though I would be buying two staterooms instead of just the one.

The only other options left on this cruise is the five person grand suite (which is down the hall, same type of room, but has extended balcony). My current room is considered handicap so maybe that's why it's only 4 person. I have priced getting another cabin (interior) on the same deck, but it's $1200 (the price of two people). They won't let me downgrade my current cabin on the same ship.

Might only be about $50 per person to upgrade to the extended...not terrible if it's the only way you can get MIL on the ship.

Well, I've toyed with the idea of changing ships and destinations altogether. Carnival Triumph goes to Cozumel same dates, but then I incur a $200 change fee ($50 pp). The cost difference is $415 plus the fee to total $615, which is a balcony and an interior, which isn't awful. It's just that we've been to Mexico twice, but never to the Bahamas. I don't love the idea of handing over $200 for no reason though.

I honestly feel this is your best bet if you absolutely want your mother with you from the description of your mother i doubt she will be comfortable sharing a bed with a kid anyways

For us, it would be well worth it to spend the $200 to make the change to the balcony and the interior. Having separate space is so, so necessary IMHO. Over a week, that is less than $10 per day per person to have two bathrooms, two rooms, and separate beds as needed - well worth it.

As for Mexico vs the Bahamas - Mexico is nicer. Don't expect the Bahamas to have that same tropical feel. For example, remember that Nassau is actually North of Miami and in winter, the highs can sometimes be in the 60's and the water too cold to swim for many. Nassau has 200,000+ people crammed on this tiny island and the port is over-crowded. Don't get me wrong - we happily sail there (we are ultimately relaxing on a cruise ship) and have found plenty of things to do from Adastra Gardens and the Fort, to Junkanoo museum, to ship snorkeling/sailing excursions to the Hilton for a beach day to eating at the Fish Fry. It just doesn't have the exotic feel and options of Mexico from good dolphin encounters to mayan ruins in addition to fabulous snorkeling and beaches.

No, we don't need the handicap room, but the agent booked us there as it was the only GS left for four people. They won't let you book the Extended balcony suite with only four people.

I am not sure it's a great idea for her to share the double sofa....if in fact it really is double size. She's not a small woman. She's tall in stature and wide in girth. I'd rather have two pullmans, a single sofa, and the king, but I can't find that option anywhere.

I'd prefer to have two rooms on this same ship, but they won't let me downgrade from the GS even though I would be buying two staterooms instead of just the one.

Probably comes down to if the MIL is a "picky" sleeper or how easy going she is. My MIL probably might complain a little:rolleyes:clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744.

The sofa could be newer since the Elation just had an extensive dry dock last year. Probably a very slim chance, but the room steward might "sneak" you a trundle so she'd have the sofa to herself for a tip.

Personally, I would change to 2 balconies! Or a balcony and an inside across the hall. Let MIL take the kids in her room - you know, the price of a free vacation! We did that numerous times and it was fantastic to have the separate space, and the 2 bathrooms. It is easy enough to get keys so everyone can enjoy the balcony.

Our experience with a grand suite was when our children we elementary school age and they shared the sofa bed just fine. But as an adult, there would be serious comfort issues. Keep in mind that the sofa bed stay out, and the room is not returned to a sitting area, which for me, meant no enjoyment of the living area in the suite. So much to my stewards dismay, I unmade the bed each day and returned it to a couch. He had to remake it each night and was tipped well for his extra work!

If I want to stay on the same boat, I don't have the option of two balconies. They won't let me downgrade from the GS.

If I change ships, I can get whatever I want, but the $200 fee applies, plus the differences in fare. I'd like to stay on the same ship if possible, but I think I am running out of options.

I honestly feel this is your best bet if you absolutely want your mother with you from the description of your mother i doubt she will be comfortable sharing a bed with a kid anyways

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. The drive to New Orleans is a bit less stressful too (versus Jacksonville). I just really didn't want to see Cozumel again. I have booked a cabana on Half Moon Cay that I would have to cancel, but the accommodations on Elation aren't ideal so I may have to bite the bullet.

We have had the grand suite with extended balcony 3 times. My husband and I always take the double and have the king put into 2 twins for my son and daughter. I am on the larger size and my husband and I have no problem fitting on the double sofa. It is a little hard but I like a firm mattress. If you ask, the room steward will put blankets under the bottom sheet to make it a little softer. The balcony is outstanding! We are booked in 2 balcony rooms this cruise and although the extra bathroom will be nice, I am going to miss the extra room and large bathroom that the suite offers.

We have had the grand suite with extended balcony 3 times. My husband and I always take the double and have the king put into 2 twins for my son and daughter. I am on the larger size and my husband and I have no problem fitting on the double sofa. It is a little hard but I like a firm mattress. If you ask, the room steward will put blankets under the bottom sheet to make it a little softer. The balcony is outstanding! We are booked in 2 balcony rooms this cruise and although the extra bathroom will be nice, I am going to miss the extra room and large bathroom that the suite offers.

This is good news! Is this on the Elation or another ship? Is the double sofa long enough? Did anyone in your stateroom use the upper pullman? I also want to make sure that the double sofa you had is the same as what they currently have. I understand they have undergone a dry dock lately and this room has an upper pullman, with the sofa resting underneath it.

Thanks for your input!

I called and got the dimensions for the double sofa, which are 80L x 55W. The single sofa is 75L x 32W. For reference, a standard queen is 80L x 60W and twin 75 L x 38W. They steal a little bit of width from you, but not much.

Since it appears to be the same size as the queen, it might be okay. The comfort we will have to adjust for my MIL. Not sure we are willing to give up the King bed.