Five people in a grand suite?

This is good news! Is this on the Elation or another ship? Is the double sofa long enough? Did anyone in your stateroom use the upper pullman? I also want to make sure that the double sofa you had is the same as what they currently have. I understand they have undergone a dry dock lately and this room has an upper pullman, with the sofa resting underneath it.

Thanks for your input!

We were on the Sensation twice and the Ecstasy. We only had 4 in a room. Try googling the room number available and you will find Youtube videos of the room or a similar room.

As for Mexico vs the Bahamas - Mexico is nicer. Don't expect the Bahamas to have that same tropical feel. For example, remember that Nassau is actually North of Miami.

Mexico is a huge country whereas the Bahamas are made up of a chain of 700 different larger and smaller islands each with it's own unique flavor. Some with a tropical feel. Others not so much. So it's not a fair comparison.

And Nassau is actually 190 miles southeast of Miami.

www.distancefromto.net/between/Miami/Nassau

I just really didn't want to see Cozumel again. I have booked a cabana on Half Moon Cay

If you have never been to Half Moon Cay you will find it to be one of the nicest and most relaxing places to enjoy a day on a cruise. With great snorkeling, a sugar sand beach, horseback riding, waverunner rentals, island music and a complimentary BBQ lunch I would never give up this stop and an HMC cabana for a day in Cozumel based on the sleeping arrangements in a Grand Suite on a ship.

Mexico is a huge country whereas the Bahamas are made up of a chain of 700 different larger and smaller islands each with it's own unique flavor. Some with a tropical feel. Others not so much. So it's not a fair comparison.

And Nassau is actually 190 miles southeast of Miami.

www.distancefromto.net/between/Miami/Nassau

If you have never been to Half Moon Cay you will find it to be one of the nicest and most relaxing places to enjoy a day on a cruise. With great snorkeling, a sugar sand beach, horseback riding, waverunner rentals, island music and a complimentary BBQ lunch I would never give up this stop and an HMC cabana for a day in Cozumel based on the sleeping arrangements in a Grand Suite on a ship.

This had me swinging back the other way and sealed the deal for the Bahamas. I've been reading up a lot of HMC which is what made us splurge on the cabana. I am totally down for that peaceful, quiet, relaxing beach day. That excursion day is my 40th birthday!

This is what I ended up doing. Something told me to search my email and lo and behold I found a Carnival promotion that wasn't being advertised online. It allowed me to add my MIL to the Grand Suite for a mere $414 more dollars. That includes the upgrade to the Extended balcony suite, too. So, the double sofa, according to the dimensions will be fine for her and my son. Or, worst case, my husband and I will take the double sofa, or my son can crash with us on the king. We've got enough sleeping space, even if we're slightly more cramped than we might've been initially. This is the boat and the port we really wanted so I think this is a win. We're in the largest room type that Elation offers so I don't think I could have done better except to have booked two rooms from the get-go.

My family of four is already booked in a four person grand suite (handicap) cabin U70 on elation.

We are thinking of bringing my MIL with us, therefor causing us to need to change our room to one of the extended balcony suites (U89 to U101).

Our current room description says one upper Pullman, one single sofa bed. The carnival agent said it will be exactly as described.

The new room description says one upper Pullman and a double sofa bed. My worry is that the double sofa isn’t large enough to hold my son (8) and my MIL (who is not petite). My daughter will go on the upper Pullman.

Anyone know about the extended balcony rooms and the bed spacing? Do you think we would have enough space?

We have the U70 room booked for May 21st, I will try to remeber to get some pics and post a review for you.

This had me swinging back the other way and sealed the deal for the Bahamas. I've been reading up a lot of HMC which is what made us splurge on the cabana. I am totally down for that peaceful, quiet, relaxing beach day. That excursion day is my 40th birthday!

This is what I ended up doing. Something told me to search my email and lo and behold I found a Carnival promotion that wasn't being advertised online. It allowed me to add my MIL to the Grand Suite for a mere $414 more dollars. That includes the upgrade to the Extended balcony suite, too. So, the double sofa, according to the dimensions will be fine for her and my son. Or, worst case, my husband and I will take the double sofa, or my son can crash with us on the king. We've got enough sleeping space, even if we're slightly more cramped than we might've been initially. This is the boat and the port we really wanted so I think this is a win. We're in the largest room type that Elation offers so I don't think I could have done better except to have booked two rooms from the get-go.

Yay! Have a great trip. We will all be here waiting for your review afterward. Enjoy your gigantic suite!

Yay! Have a great trip. We will all be here waiting for your review afterward. Enjoy your gigantic suite!

Thank you! I called again today to request a left facing suite (port?). The agent said that the ship comes in port side to HMC and Nassau so we can have views of the island as we come into port. On the embarkation and debarkation we will have views of the sea, which is exactly what we want. So excited and I’ve still got six months!! ;p

Glad you got your cruise figured out:cool:

I called and got the dimensions for the double sofa, which are 80L x 55W. The single sofa is 75L x 32W. For reference, a standard queen is 80L x 60W and twin 75 L x 38W. They steal a little bit of width from you, but not much.

Since it appears to be the same size as the queen, it might be okay. The comfort we will have to adjust for my MIL. Not sure we are willing to give up the King bed.

Since the King bed is two twins pushed together you might feel the "space" in the middle. My in-laws have almost always shared a full sized bed at home and find a King too large (FIL is 6'4), but husband and I are used to a Queen and find a full a little tight when visiting. If I were in your position, I'd take the sofa with husband, put the smallest child in the pull-down, and have MIL and the other child in separated twins - assuming space for the twins to be separated, best if L shaped for floor space.

Glad you got your cruise figured out:cool:

Since the King bed is two twins pushed together you might feel the "space" in the middle. My in-laws have almost always shared a full sized bed at home and find a King too large (FIL is 6'4), but husband and I are used to a Queen and find a full a little tight when visiting. If I were in your position, I'd take the sofa with husband, put the smallest child in the pull-down, and have MIL and the other child in separated twins - assuming space for the twins to be separated, best if L shaped for floor space.

My husband and I are both fairly average height and weight but we have a King at home. We had a King on our last cruise and never felt the dip. We discussed sharing the sofa and are totally fine with that to give everyone else their own bed. We, after all, are the only ones in the room used to playing footsie with one another. Our stateroom will allow for king or twin. Since we don’t plan to do any funny business with anyone else in the room, I’m not sure it would bother me to not have the king, though that is the size we are used to. Thanks for the suggestion. I think that’s how we are leaning.

I wish I could find pics of the new double sofas. They don’t look like the old 70s couches now. The dry dock of Elation resulted in quite a few upgrades.