Just off Eurodam - first time on HAL

vedettes1

We did the 4-day out of Seattle, stayed on for the Alaska cruise last week. We have sailed 4 times on Celebrity, but never on HAL. We are in the heart of HAL's demographic, have not cruised much but are very well travelled. Here is a quick report.

At first, it seemed that Eurodam was a little dark and cramped compared to X ships, but we got over it quickly and ended up loving the ship. One huge (for me) advantage was the promenades on 3 and 10 where you could walk continuously without having to go inside (not the case on X). Service on HAL certainly as good and friendly as X.

We hope for a lot in the cuisine dept and were not deceived. In 11 nights, we ate at MDR (3), buffet (3), Tamarind (3), Canaletto and Sel de Mer (1 each). The only disappointment was Canaletto, where all the dishes were good but all lacked a little something in the finishing, rendering them somewhat one-note and dull, flavor-wise.

We drank very little alcohol, but were very pleasantly surprised by the very reasonable prices for tonic water and the coffee drinks on 11.

There is one major problem in the MDR. It is on two levels and if you are on Anytime dining you are put on the lower level (Deck 2). If you are near the stern, the vibration and accompanying noise are absolutely horrendous. In future, If I could not get a table on the side, I would walk out and go to the buffet.

Speaking of the buffet (Lido Café), crowding was a problem, but food generally good. I particularly appreciated the rotating Asian menus at lunch. The Indonesian and Malaysian days were far better than the Thai, Vietnamese and Indian ones, which somehow seems appropriate given Dutch sailing and colonial history,

Eurodam had a couple of features that seemed curious at first: classical music in the "Lincoln Center Stage" and a live "America's Test Kitchen. But both were very well presented and very well attended.

All in all, we had a wonderful cruise, made better by sunshine 10 days out of 11! Any doubts we had about HAL compared to X (especially in the food department) have vanished and we would take HAL again with pleasure.

BTW, we booked the Alaska week exactly one month before departure and got a balcony cabin for under $1100. It is now shown at $1700 for the same week next year. I don't have any idea what that implies for future booking strategy.

We were on the Eurodam May 12-19, our sixth cruise on HAL. The Eurodam passenger capacity is about 200-300 more than the Westerdam with a space ratio of 34 vs 35 for the Westerdam. We noticed the overcrowding throughout the ship but especially in the Lido Market area.

Updated Crow's Nest - You still see puzzles out and various nook locations of books but related to destination and travel. Overall we still enjoy this area. Pinnacle Grill service was not up to our usual experience and one dinner complained about waiting at least 15 minutes before a waiter arrived. While service in the Lido has improved since our first HAL cruise, it still is not up to the level we consistently find at the Horizon Court on Princess. Food quality overall we find better on HAL but more dining venues and choices on Princess.

Most new cruisers we spoke to, except one who was very disappointed in entertainment choices and quantity, were very happy overall and eager to sail with HAL again.

Edited by qsuzi

We were on the Eurodam May 12-19, our sixth cruise on HAL. The Eurodam passenger capacity is about 200-300 more than the Westerdam with a space ratio of 34 vs 35 for the Westerdam. We noticed the overcrowding throughout the ship but especially in the Lido Market area.

I think the feeling of crowding is all down to how full the cruise is. When I sailed on the Zuiderdam in October 2016 and it never felt crowded. When I sailed on the same ship in December 2017/January 2018 it always felt crowded. The 2016 sailing was not full to capacity, while the 2017/18 cruise was as close to capacity as any cruise I have ever been on.

It's my opinion that the facilities on board are designed for a ship sailing at less than capacity and when you get close to one butt per bed capacity, things get tight and crowded.

And it's not that the 2017/18 cruise was a holiday cruise, we have taken other cruises on similar itineraries that were not as full to capacity. I know HAL wants to get as much revenue as possible from heads-in-beds, but as a passenger (and stockholder) I prefer sailing on less than capacity cruises. I'm certainly more willing to spend more in the bars/lounges when I can find a place to sit and a table on which to put my drink!

I think the feeling of crowding is all down to how full the cruise is. When I sailed on the Zuiderdam in October 2016 and it never felt crowded. When I sailed on the same ship in December 2017/January 2018 it always felt crowded. The 2016 sailing was not full to capacity, while the 2017/18 cruise was as close to capacity as any cruise I have ever been on.

It's my opinion that the facilities on board are designed for a ship sailing at less than capacity and when you get close to one butt per bed capacity, things get tight and crowded.

And it's not that the 2017/18 cruise was a holiday cruise, we have taken other cruises on similar itineraries that were not as full to capacity. I know HAL wants to get as much revenue as possible from heads-in-beds, but as a passenger (and stockholder) I prefer sailing on less than capacity cruises. I'm certainly more willing to spend more in the bars/lounges when I can find a place to sit and a table on which to put my drink!

Agree with you on per cabin capacity. This cruise had more children than what we normally see on a HAL Alaska itinerary. During our last 3 HAL cruises we have also noticed a wider age range and overall younger cruisers. It would be interesting to see any HAL data on this.

We sailed on Hal for the first time on the Eurodam last September - I agree with you on the Asian dishes at the Distant Lands station on the Lido. Was totally surprised to see Congee!

We didn't know what to expect as well but we loved the ship, even though the focus was really on Alaska more than any of the onboard amenities. Did enjoy Lincoln Center and the Test Kitchen more than I though we would.....

We did the 4-day out of Seattle, stayed on for the Alaska cruise last week. We have sailed 4 times on Celebrity, but never on HAL. We are in the heart of HAL's demographic, have not cruised much but are very well travelled. Here is a quick report.

At first, it seemed that Eurodam was a little dark and cramped compared to X ships, but we got over it quickly and ended up loving the ship. One huge (for me) advantage was the promenades on 3 and 10 where you could walk continuously without having to go inside (not the case on X). Service on HAL certainly as good and friendly as X.

We hope for a lot in the cuisine dept and were not deceived. In 11 nights, we ate at MDR (3), buffet (3), Tamarind (3), Canaletto and Sel de Mer (1 each). The only disappointment was Canaletto, where all the dishes were good but all lacked a little something in the finishing, rendering them somewhat one-note and dull, flavor-wise.

We drank very little alcohol, but were very pleasantly surprised by the very reasonable prices for tonic water and the coffee drinks on 11.

There is one major problem in the MDR. It is on two levels and if you are on Anytime dining you are put on the lower level (Deck 2). If you are near the stern, the vibration and accompanying noise are absolutely horrendous. In future, If I could not get a table on the side, I would walk out and go to the buffet.

Speaking of the buffet (Lido Café), crowding was a problem, but food generally good. I particularly appreciated the rotating Asian menus at lunch. The Indonesian and Malaysian days were far better than the Thai, Vietnamese and Indian ones, which somehow seems appropriate given Dutch sailing and colonial history,

Eurodam had a couple of features that seemed curious at first: classical music in the "Lincoln Center Stage" and a live "America's Test Kitchen. But both were very well presented and very well attended.

All in all, we had a wonderful cruise, made better by sunshine 10 days out of 11! Any doubts we had about HAL compared to X (especially in the food department) have vanished and we would take HAL again with pleasure.

BTW, we booked the Alaska week exactly one month before departure and got a balcony cabin for under $1100. It is now shown at $1700 for the same week next year. I don't have any idea what that implies for future booking strategy.

Thank you! great to hear. Amazed you were able to get a balcony that close to departure. Our ship (Westerdam) was out of balconies in the fall. We leave June 10!

AlaskaNewbie - We had booked the 4-day way ahead. I was just messing around on the web and discovered the great fare for the Alaska 7-day immediately following. I could not resist! Of course, it was pretty easy for us - retired and living in Seattle. No air or hotel to arrange, just a ride to the pier.

AlaskaNewbie - We had booked the 4-day way ahead. I was just messing around on the web and discovered the great fare for the Alaska 7-day immediately following. I could not resist! Of course, it was pretty easy for us - retired and living in Seattle. No air or hotel to arrange, just a ride to the pier.

That's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums