Labadee Merchants

Perhaps they should experiment with a less aggressive approach. It's great that they're able to set up their shops there, and I would LOVE to slowly browse through their shops, but their tactics keep me away. They would sell more that way, I'm sure. Think about what those type of aggressive tactics would mean in your own country, at your local department store, home center or mall (picturing the salesperson at Home Depot carving my name into a lawn mower) - you probably wouldn't go into a store that employed those type of tactics.

Also - our local mall, which is rather upscale, has the vendors in the center area of the mall with carts who sell lotions and bamboo pillows and other misc stuff. They used to be VERY aggressive in approaching you and not taking "no, thank you" as an answer. Enough people complained and now they are not allowed to approach you - they can stand at their cart and offer you a soft sell as you walk by but if you indicate that you're not interested, the sales pitch stops there. They can't follow you or call out to you like they used to. So complaining does work. I don't think it would work in this instance unless an entire cruise ship's worth of passengers complained - and I doubt that would happen. Plus, there are enough places on Labadee to go and not be bothered.

I remember my first visit to Labadee, my daughter was 7 and we strolled through the market (the old market) before all the huts were built, a vendor asked my daughter her name and within 2 minutes he had carved it into a wooden box and demanded payment for it, he was quite pushy and my daughter started getting scared, we just walked right out of there and never went back to the market again...….we have visited Labadee around 10 times now but just avoid the market all together...….Love Labadee

Thank you

Perhaps they should experiment with a less aggressive approach. It's great that they're able to set up their shops there, and I would LOVE to slowly browse through their shops, but their tactics keep me away. They would sell more that way, I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

That is an issue not just at the Caribbean but almost in any market/mall , I saw it in Asia , I saw it in Europe (yes the very cultured Europe) and in the US (At the malls were people try to sell you some new magic cream or other stuff or the time share sales people in Orlando or Vegas).

Apparently they try to sell like that since it is working , due to people that like to burgeon like that or to people that buy at the end since they feel not comfortable to refuse .

It will continue like that as long as people will continue to cooperate with this system .

What I try to do as many other describe here is to say no thank you , first polite and if it is not helping more firmly.

If I really want to buy something I will try to locate the most quite /no aggressive seller , buy what I want (yes sometime negotiating) and let him/her know I came to the boot/store since they did not try to force me in .

Hi, we will be in Labadee in a few weeks. I am looking at the map, Town Square, Artisan's Village - number 20 on the map, is this the market area to avoid if we don't want to encounter these pushy vendors?

We would like to buy a couple of souvenirs without being hounded, is it any better at Artisan's Market/Showcase - 21/22 on the map?

Also someone on this thread mentioned a similar experience on the Kayak excursion, my 2 teen girls are doing this and didn't even think they would need/want to bring cash with them. Any advice for them appreciated!

Thanks

Perhaps they should experiment with a less aggressive approach. It's great that they're able to set up their shops there, and I would LOVE to slowly browse through their shops, but their tactics keep me away. They would sell more that way, I'm sure. Think about what those type of aggressive tactics would mean in your own country, at your local department store, home center or mall (picturing the salesperson at Home Depot carving my name into a lawn mower) - you probably wouldn't go into a store that employed those type of tactics.
While you may rather have that, they probably wouldn't be pushy if it didn't work. You may not be comfortable, but that is normal in allot of places around the world and is perfectly normal behavior.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Hi, we will be in Labadee in a few weeks. I am looking at the map, Town Square, Artisan's Village - number 20 on the map, is this the market area to avoid if we don't want to encounter these pushy vendors?

We would like to buy a couple of souvenirs without being hounded, is it any better at Artisan's Market/Showcase - 21/22 on the map?

Also someone on this thread mentioned a similar experience on the Kayak excursion, my 2 teen girls are doing this and didn't even think they would need/want to bring cash with them. Any advice for them appreciated!

Thanks

You can go into the tall building that has souvenirs. It is where you turn right to take the road to Columbus Beach. You can look around and buy in there and no one will bother you.

We only shop in that building. And we usually buy something because we want to spend money-in poor countries but we absolutely cannot stand the behavior of the vendors on the hillsides. I’ve been to other areas of Jamaica (and all over the Caribbean) but I’ve never seen that over the top aggression in other parts of Jamaica. Way past just being pushy to get your attention.

When you walk to Columbus Beach (our favorite), stay in the middle of the road and talk only to each other. Don’t make eye contact with those shouting at you and you won’t have to worry about saying no to any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been to Jamaica and other such areas with "pushy" vendors and I just ignore them and keep walking. They take the hint.

I'm not going to judge you, but I will say that if you're the type that wears a fanny pack, carries walkie-talkies and walks through those areas with the look of a deer in headlights, you'll be seen as easy prey. I've never understood why some go for the "tacky tourist" look, but for many reasons other than what I've cited, I'd avoid it.

They may be poor but they're not stupid. They know that if you're at Labadee, you're a tourist. Walkie Talkies and Fanny Packs be damned... but go ahread and dress as a non tacky tourist. LOL

I have come across aggressive vendors near the Eiffel Tower in Paris or by the train station in Rome and I have read about the vendors in Falmouth. What makes this different is this is within a boundary that Royal controls. Royal appears to put an emphasis on making sure guests have a good experience and hold bartenders, waitresses and waiters, and room attendants to a high standard. One could make a argument that by default these merchants are some sort of Royal employees (Indirectly of course) as they are working in an area controlled by Royal. Carving names in items and placing bracelets on people and then basically demanding money for them is not a great experience.

We all know Haiti is a poor country but should those vendors also not realize they are in a fortunate position that their fellow countryman are not. They have a opportunity and have direct access to people and passengers with money to spend. They should know what the job prospects are in their own country and realize hey we have people willing to give us real money in the form of dollars and Euros maybe we should not kill the golden goose.

Would it not be refreshing to walk through the market and have one of these vendors instead say something like hey we appreciate you taking the time to look through our stuff and we appreciate you coming to our country and we would be honored if you bought something from us to help support our family. Hmmm I can only imagine that passengers who have dropped big money on a cruise and have ate more food in one meal than they eat in a week would be more than happy to buy a little trinket to help them out.

Edited by md80fan
clarify post add a phrase

You can go into the tall building that has souvenirs. It is where you turn right to take the road to Columbus Beach. You can look around and buy in there and no one will bother you.

We only shop in that building. And we usually buy something because we want to spend money-in poor countries but we absolutely cannot stand the behavior of the vendors on the hillsides. I’ve been to other areas of Jamaica (and all over the Caribbean) but I’ve never seen that over the top aggression in other parts of Jamaica. Way past just being pushy to get your attention.

When you walk to Columbus Beach (our favorite), stay in the middle of the road and talk only to each other. Don’t make eye contact with those shouting at you and you won’t have to worry about saying no to any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, we are planning to go to Columbus Cove.

I too was at Labadee with on 5/23 via the Anthem of the Seas. The wife and I spent some time on Nellie's Beach. Like Sprasa03 mentioned, by Nellie's beach there is a small bar with a little pathway that has a sign that says "Artisan's Market". My wife wanted to see the shops there but we had no previous knowledge of the aggressive vendors. So we took the path and was "greeted" by one of the vendors who claimed to be an artist and was eager to show us is "art". we turned the corner and were bombarded by super aggressive sales men and women (around 20 people) each itching for our cash. while one guy was trying to put a bracelet on my wife which she did not want or ask for, another was trying to write my name on a cup and sell me a useless box. I had to get a bit aggressive and say NO to make the guy stop. while trying to walk out another vendor tried to get us into their area, we said no thanks and tried to get out of there fast. while walking out other vendors were hollering at us to visit their areas. we have dealt with many street vendors in previous ports from previous cruises but it was never this bad. the fact that Royal Carribean allows these types of vendors to sell here is appalling. It left a sour taste in my mouth from what was an amazing vacation. I understand that its a poor country and blah blah blah, but the wife and I would have spent more money if it wasn't for the sales tactics that these vendors use to get your cash.

If you like being bombarded by pushy vendors who guilt trip people into then by all means go into the Artisan's Village. If not AVOID that little trail on Nellie's beach that leads to the Artisan Village. Instead go into the Artisan Market which is set up similar to other gift shops with no pushy vendors and sell the same crap.

I hate to make my first post here so negative but it's what stuck out as a bad experience for me in an otherwise excellent vacation. The beaches on Labadee are great and I would have no problem going back to them, just this time Id avoid the Village at all costs.

The folks at the markets were particularly aggressive this year. My 17-year-old son, you could say, got accosted and surrounded while walking past them. He got a little nervous, haggled with them, and bought a few things. He spent $50 of his own money, but it was a good lesson for him to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They may be poor but they're not stupid. They know that if you're at Labadee, you're a tourist. Walkie Talkies and Fanny Packs be damned... but go ahread and dress as a non tacky tourist. LOL

Of course they know everyone is a tourist there, but the lion is always going to pick the slowest gazelle off from the rest of the heard .

Have some compassion, folks. You live in a first-world country where, even if you grew up poor, you received an education. You have options for the workforce, and you have multiple safety nets in place.

These vendors live in a very different world, and they have to take advantage of the few opportunities available to them. If you'd been born into their world instead of ours, what would you not do to sell your goods /feed your children?

If you don't want to buy, walk through at a brisk pace with your hands in your pockets. If you have children, instruct them to do the same. If they speak to you and offer you something, shake your head and keep walking. They aren't going to pursue you; if they get a clear "no" from you, they're going to immediately move to the next person, who might be a buyer.

If you're just walking back to the ship, you're probably talking about less than 10 minutes that you're "in their world". It's not a big deal.

If they changed their sales techniques and be less aggressive towards the tourist they might get more traffic going through there.

I have a feeling that 99% of the people who visit labadee and those on this forum know how mismanaged and poor the country is. This issue has nothing to do with that. I bet most people here who are complaining about the village have no issues with shopping and supporting poor local business.

Not everyone likes aggressive, pushy people who use strategies that make you feel almost as if your obligated to purchase something. Some people might even feel intimidated. The wife and I went in to spend around $100 and support the local business, we ended up spending less $20 and got out asap. I used the extra cash i saved to get some alcohol for my friends on the ship.

If they changed their sales techniques and be less aggressive towards the tourist they might get more traffic going through there.

I have a feeling that 99% of the people who visit labadee and those on this forum know how mismanaged and poor the country is. This issue has nothing to do with that. I bet most people here who are complaining about the village have no issues with shopping and supporting poor local business.

Not everyone likes aggressive, pushy people who use strategies that make you feel almost as if your obligated to purchase something. Some people might even feel intimidated. The wife and I went in to spend around $100 and support the local business, we ended up spending less $20 and got out asap. I used the extra cash i saved to get some alcohol for my friends on the ship.

YEP!! If they were a little less aggressive in their sales tactics, I'd go back to them, I'd stay longer, and I'd buy more. Simple as that. Last time at Labadee, we couldn't leave that area fast enough.

The first (and only) time I’ve been to Labadee was way back in 2000. I was 9, almost 10, and the aggressive vendors literally grabbed on to my arm and started pulling me away from my mom and aunt. There were many tears and no purchases involved because of it.

At St. Lucia, we were on a boat on an excursion to see the two volcanos that dominate that side of the island. On the way back, we stopped for a scheduled beach/swim stop. The boat was moored in the water off the beach. Local merchants were soon all around us in kayaks trying to sell items to people still on the boat. It was quite intimidating to be in the water with kayaks so near to me. I got out of the water and back on the boat.

This is just part of being in the Caribbean. I do avoid the market area on Labadie, though.

I recently got off my very first cruise and loved it as it exceeded my expectations. My only complaint was the merchants in Labadee. Walking through the area was not very pleasant based on how pushy, aggressive, and should I say obnoxious some of the vendors were. I realize every port will have pushy or aggressive people trying to make their money and the cruise lines have no control over that. However, in Labadee Royal has complete control and I am curious why they would allow that to continue.

My question is this what has been your experience or response from Royal if you have complained about the merchant area. I was thinking of sending an email but just curious if other people have made complaints and what the response back from Royal has been. I am interested in any email response or if anybody talked with a guess representative on the ship. I know I cannot be the only person who was disappointed with being hassled to buy something (which I can say I did not buy anything) while walking through the merchant area.

Thanks so much for this post. We will be visiting Labadee next November for the first time. I thought it was very simllar to Coco Cay, completely controlled by Royal with a small market off to the side. I now know what to expect. We have compassion for people who are far less fortunate, and donate generously to many different charities and through our church. Without guilt we will steer clear of the village to avoid being aggressively hassled by vendors in Labadee.

Have some compassion, folks. You live in a first-world country where, even if you grew up poor, you received an education. You have options for the workforce, and you have multiple safety nets in place.

These vendors live in a very different world, and they have to take advantage of the few opportunities available to them. If you'd been born into their world instead of ours, what would you not do to sell your goods /feed your children?

If you don't want to buy, walk through at a brisk pace with your hands in your pockets. If you have children, instruct them to do the same. If they speak to you and offer you something, shake your head and keep walking. They aren't going to pursue you; if they get a clear "no" from you, they're going to immediately move to the next person, who might be a buyer.

If you're just walking back to the ship, you're probably talking about less than 10 minutes that you're "in their world". It's not a big deal.

Compassion is part of what brought us to the Artisan Village in the first place and we definitely are aware of the difference in countries between us and them. All the more reason to visit the village. We wanted to give back. We wanted to appreciate their art.

And we understand why the aggressive sales tactics are used. For certain they are fighting to get your $ before the next stall does. I'm sure the desperation of their situation plays into that. They know we are tourists with cash to burn and they are hungry for it. I don't know the conversion rate but the $40 I spent there in no way negatively hurt my bank account but I'm sure could very positively improve their situation in ways I'm lucky enough not to understand simply because of where I was born.

They point is, they could have gotten even more out of me if they didn't intimidate and overwhelm me. They are shooting themselves in the foot with their hard sale tactics and I wish they could see that. I wish Royal Caribbean would step in and teach them how tourists prefer to be interacted with.

I just want to state, again, that the back stone path from Nellie's beach leads you somewhat behind the actually village. There is no main road there - just rows of stalls. And my clear "no" did not stop them from trying to coerce a purchase out of me and my husband. There was no "next person" to move on to in that area and we didn't know the way to leave. But as we were being passed from stall to stall we saw the road of the main market and hightailed it out of there without looking back.

I have since read that if you stay on the main road of Artisan Village, they cannot pursue you. You can go in and out of the stalls as you please. That was not the case in the secluded area of the village that we ended up in. I'm not saying don't spend in Haiti, but I am saying - don't take that back path. Stay on the main, wide, concrete road that is populated with tourists, trams, and RCI employees.

Can I put my violin away now? :rolleyes:

Compassion is part of what brought us to the Artisan Village in the first place and we definitely are aware of the difference in countries between us and them. All the more reason to visit the village. We wanted to give back. We wanted to appreciate their art.

And we understand why the aggressive sales tactics are used. For certain they are fighting to get your $ before the next stall does. I'm sure the desperation of their situation plays into that. They know we are tourists with cash to burn and they are hungry for it. I don't know the conversion rate but the $40 I spent there in no way negatively hurt my bank account but I'm sure could very positively improve their situation in ways I'm lucky enough not to understand simply because of where I was born.

They point is, they could have gotten even more out of me if they didn't intimidate and overwhelm me. They are shooting themselves in the foot with their hard sale tactics and I wish they could see that. I wish Royal Caribbean would step in and teach them how tourists prefer to be interacted with.

I just want to state, again, that the back stone path from Nellie's beach leads you somewhat behind the actually village. There is no main road there - just rows of stalls. And my clear "no" did not stop them from trying to coerce a purchase out of me and my husband. There was no "next person" to move on to in that area and we didn't know the way to leave. But as we were being passed from stall to stall we saw the road of the main market and hightailed it out of there without looking back.

I have since read that if you stay on the main road of Artisan Village, they cannot pursue you. You can go in and out of the stalls as you please. That was not the case in the secluded area of the village that we ended up in. I'm not saying don't spend in Haiti, but I am saying - don't take that back path. Stay on the main, wide, concrete road that is populated with tourists, trams, and RCI employees.

Excellent post. Third paragraph is spot on. (y)