Well in two days I head to Alaska for my 4th trip there in 9 years. 1st trip I'd just gotten a D3s and it was a game changer. By my 3rd trip I took the D3s and a D810 which was a great match up. Got some great BIF & whale photos with that combo. I also was using a 400 2.8 with the D3s. Well time moves on and I'm not going to lug that beast around this trip. Picked up a D500 and am using it with a 300mm f4 Nikkor. It really packs a punch. I swear it's better than my D3s with the 400 and 1/4 the weight. I'm also taking my D810 with an assortment of lenses.

So 1st time no tripod, no tripod head, no 400, no D3s, no pano head. I don't know if I feel naked or just lighter? Well wish me good light, fair weather and calm seas.

I've never gotten a bear in the wild yet, maybe this trip.

framer

Enjoy the cruise, hopefully the great weather we are currently experiencing on the West Coast will continue.

Travel safe!

Eat well!

Take many photos!

Enjoy greatly!

Dave

Travel safe!

Eat well!

Take many photos!

Enjoy greatly!

Dave

Yes, Eat well, gain 10lbs, 3PM cookie time...

framer

Well in two days I head to Alaska for my 4th trip there in 9 years. 1st trip I'd just gotten a D3s and it was a game changer. By my 3rd trip I took the D3s and a D810 which was a great match up. Got some great BIF & whale photos with that combo. I also was using a 400 2.8 with the D3s. Well time moves on and I'm not going to lug that beast around this trip. Picked up a D500 and am using it with a 300mm f4 Nikkor. It really packs a punch. I swear it's better than my D3s with the 400 and 1/4 the weight. I'm also taking my D810 with an assortment of lenses.

So 1st time no tripod, no tripod head, no 400, no D3s, no pano head. I don't know if I feel naked or just lighter? Well wish me good light, fair weather and calm seas.

I've never gotten a bear in the wild yet, maybe this trip.

framer

6594ca0b0186ee6afaeb4157696b48f9.jpg8c02e13bbb68cb4f6031029b4b87487e.jpg In the Last three weeks we have had 2 different bears in our yard that our wildlife camera has captured. I was so excited to see them in Alaska, but not too excited to have them in our yard

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I want cute bear photos not homeless looking ones...

framer

Bon voyage! Leave some pictures for me, as I'll be heading up there in 4 weeks! Wishing you good weather and good eating!

Have a wonderful time!! Been up there several times myself, jest can't seem to get enough of Alaska.

Sitting at Sea-Tec boarded...

1st photo, took a seaplane in Ketchican to a special place in the mountains.

cc4.jpg

cc3.jpg

Just about to land about 1 foot above the water.

cc1.jpg

Taxiing to shore.

cc2.jpg

More later

framer

These taken with a D810 w/nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 I could only take one camera one lens.

Beautiful pictures! It must be difficult to determine where to land when the water gives a perfect reflection of the land!

The D500 is seriously by leaps and bounds the best DSLR I have ever owned...

Going to Denali? This could happen?

DSC_3167_edited-1-X3.jpg

No bears again... I guess I have to go back a 5th time. Weather was not great, lots of rain, wind and cold. Got one nice day.

framer

No bears again... I guess I have to go back a 5th time. Weather was not great, lots of rain, wind and cold. Got one nice day.

framer

Fifth time's the charm. That's when we saw our first bears.

Dave

framer,

Your pictures demonstrate something that I like ... and something that ND filters and long exposures can't replicate. There's a world of difference between a photo where the water looks smooth (due to a ND filter) versus one where the water is smooth (like your photos).

If we go back to Alaska, we'll have to consider taking an excursion like that.

framer,

Your pictures demonstrate something that I like ... and something that ND filters and long exposures can't replicate. There's a world of difference between a photo where the water looks smooth (due to a ND filter) versus one where the water is smooth (like your photos).

If we go back to Alaska, we'll have to consider taking an excursion like that.

The problem is a 4 letter word, LUCK.

I had not planned going flying this trip. When we docked @ 7AM the weather was crystal clear 100 mile visibility, light wind. We were at dock 4 right by Island Wings which I had used in 2010. I gave them a call and they had two seat open. After the flight I asked how luck we were to get the seats. Their reply was they were booked for the season and just that day they had two seats.

You do make your own luck by taking advantage of conditions when you find them. This could not have been planned. It was good that I had nothing else planned for that day.

framer

Here is a hand held pano of GBNP using a cheap 50mm f1.8 AFS on my D810

cc7t..jpgcc7t.jpg

Click on image to see full size @ 72dpi Original is 300 dpi.

framer

A couple more from the flight

cc9.jpg

Ships docked in Ketchican, I was on the top ship, Ruby.

cc10.jpg

framer

Your shots are beautiful! At first I read, "on the TOY ship, Ruby" which is about right in that shot!

Posted (edited)

This one I'm considering to be in my window background images.

Click for full size file, then click to see full size or right click to save to your computer.

This one I'm considering to be in my window background images.

Click for full size file, then click to see full size or right click to save to your computer.

cc20t.jpg

framer

Edited by framer

Click for full size screen image @ 72 dpi 3MB , original is same size but @ 300dpi 1GB.

pano5-72t.jpg

Then click again to expanf to full size.

framer

Click for full size screen image @ 72 dpi 3MB , original is same size but @ 300dpi 1GB.

pano5-72t.jpg

Then click again to expanf to full size.

framer

That full size shot is amazing - fantastic detail.

Great shots! First Farmer want thank you for all the advice, was a big help and I was able to get some great shots. Just wish our weather the first week, ok there is rain, then then there is RAIN, like standing under a waterfall kind, at this point I found out the difference between "waterproof and water resistant" I had waterproof paints, jacket and shoes, but 'water resistant gloves' they did not dry until I returned home. Second week was great; even had a couple of hours of sun in Ketchikan which I am told is like a drought for them.

I also feel fortunate in that did get 1 bear in the 'wild' and was very luck to get it. We were on the 26 Glacier tour in Whittier and spotted this one on the shore, but as luck would have it did not have my 500mm with me, was breaking my back. So this is with a 200mm and heavy crop from the D850 with heavy cloud cover (ie light rain). Not a great shot but was the only bear in the wild we saw the entire trip. Did see a grizzly that was in 'captivity' for some nice shots. I did get my eagle, whale tail, seals, otter and walrus shots, even a goat on the mountain as we came out of GNP but even with a 500mm and 1.4 tele-converter is only a little bigger than a white dot. I did learn from a Park Ranger that the best viewing of bears is Pack Creek in mid to late June when the salmon start running. (average cost of a day trip is $699-$799 each and limited number of people can go per day, so maybe next time???).

40904546840_de91e14a8b_o.jpg

Lucky you, a real ITW bear photo. Maybe someday I'll see one.

framer

even a goat on the mountain as we came out of GNP but even with a 500mm and 1.4 tele-converter is only a little bigger than a white dot.

Take a close look at that white dot. I thought I'd taken a picture of a mountain goat (since that's what the guide claimed the white dot was), but it turned out to be a Dall sheep. The Dall sheep has horns like a bighorn sheep, while a mountain goat's horns are much shorter. (I was more excited to see a Dall sheep, since I'd seen plenty of mountain goats before.)

Looks like a successful trip!

Nice shots!

Some envy...

Dave

Dave if your last post was about my trip it was IMHO just OK. Whale watching was not great for photos, too many back lit, too far, one decent tail shot but not a good angle, in and out of rain showers all day. Cold and rainy in Skagway. We entered GBNP at 6AM not great light, dark clouds going in. Zero wildlife shots in GBNP, saw a couple of otters. Leaving GBNP weather improved and some scenic shots were OK. It was a much faster trip in and out of the park this trip. Ketchican was the savor for photos this trip. Still I got no usable eagle shot this trip. My best trip was the southbound from Whittier I should have done that one. It's more a real inside passage that the cruise from Seattle. I will also watch for the time the ship enters GBNP and the time they plan on being there.

got to run,

framer

Dave if your last post was about my trip it was IMHO just OK. Whale watching was not great for photos, too many back lit, too far, one decent tail shot but not a good angle, in and out of rain showers all day. Cold and rainy in Skagway. We entered GBNP at 6AM not great light, dark clouds going in. Zero wildlife shots in GBNP, saw a couple of otters. Leaving GBNP weather improved and some scenic shots were OK. It was a much faster trip in and out of the park this trip. Ketchican was the savor for photos this trip. Still I got no usable eagle shot this trip. My best trip was the southbound from Whittier I should have done that one. It's more a real inside passage that the cruise from Seattle. I will also watch for the time the ship enters GBNP and the time they plan on being there.

got to run,

framer

The shots you posted were of what I spoke. Nice. ;)

I assume that even if you didn't get "the" shot, you still had fun using your camera and generally had a good cruise. Success!

I was working and building cabinets for a home project. Envy.

I do hope you had a good trip, even if it was lean on photo opportunities.

Dave

Sorry I didn't get to finish, Yes, cruise was fine and relaxing, zero issues with the ship just mother nature but that's Alaska, Timing is everything.

For the month before we left I was remodeling our master bathroom. I needed a vacation from that project. I still have drawer fronts to make to finish it up. Maybe next week...

framer

Here the best of the whale images, not much to get excited about. Really this is it for 3 hours in the boat.

Click on image then click on full size imge to show full size.

wt1t.jpg

wt2t.jpg

wt3t.jpg

wt4t.jpg

wt5t.jpg

framer

They look great to me, I would be happy. Our day whale hunting was worse, yours look a lot closer than we were. I was able to get about 3 - 4 shots from a great distance of one whale tail, out of which 2 look decent. And a couple of Orca fins. That was it, you get what you can get. But it does give you an excuse to go again;p. You know look at these great shots and then the pitiful ones I got, I need to go again..... :confused::confused:.

Here is a shot you might be interested in I took this on May 24 at 8:42 pm from the Coral headed south of the Ruby headed south.

42772488362_85297f79fe_k.jpg

KYBOB you image is no longer visible. I did see it yesterday. I was on the ruby the following week 26th -2nd, nice shot though.

Here an image of Ma & Pa eagle sitting in a sea buoy.

Click on image then click on full size imge to show full size.

e1.jpg

framer

Skagway bird shots,

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

shutter speed 1/60 - 1/100 to show motion ISO 64 f/11+ 70-200 VRII f2.8

framer

Ketchican Bird

nr-big.jpg

Click on image for full size crop.

framer

Click on image for full size file.

j5.jpg

I liked the misty blow in this whale photo.

framer

Nice! Getting me excited for my trip! Totally forgot about my Alaska trip for a while.

Sort of unexpectedly had to deal with a major purchase/toy. Still dealing with the fallout from that. Had to send a lens in for service and haven't even gotten a chance to really check and see if it's all right yet.