Passenger Change

In the process of making my final cabin selections for everyone going in my group. My brother currently has a girlfriend that he wants to bring. They have been steady for a while but since the cruise I am booking is a year away there is always the slight possibility they will break up before then. My travel agent is telling me there is no way to change out a passenger after the deposit is made but I always thought you could change 1 of the passengers. Does anyone know about this?

Last year a bunch of us did the Freedom TA. I went solo because my daughter couldn't go but my friend's roommate canceled 48 hour before we were supposed to leave. My friend was able to find someone to share her cabin, even though it was very last minute. Since the original roommate was only entitled to a refund of taxes and gratuities the new person got a 14 night cruise for only the amount of the refund. By the end of the cruise my friend wished that she had gone solo in her cabin.

Does it matter if the deposit is refundable or non-refundable? If it’s non-refundable does the new person have to pay their own $250 deposit while the original person loses $100 and gets a $150 future cruise credit? Just curious.

The name changes, the cruise line does not charge anything. Any money transfer has to handled by the two passengers between themselves.