Booked way early, paid a lot, surely there will be sale?

NoWhiners

Hi all

We just booked a Caribbean cruise on CB for Feb 2020. We paid a lot but we got a cabin we think might be good. Aft on Caribe deck 10, C753.

I am hoping S&S or maybe a 3 for free is offered for this cruise at some point. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of pricing in the Caribbean? Am I being too optimistic? I'm a little worried that this is prime Caribbean sailing time.

Thanks for any insight

ML

Caribbean Princess in April 2018 was doing upsells, last minute deals, etc. Yes, you got a good cabin. Your cruise is almost 2 years away. Princess will have all sorts of different sale offers between now and then; the question is which ones will include your cruise dates. IF there is a cabin in your category available for booking, you can refare your cruise to get the better price, whatever perks are offered, or whatever. Unless you are in one of those categories where there are only a few cabins, there should be no problem with getting some sort of a deal.

Just keep your eyes open and check whether your cruise dates are applicable each time a sale is announced. I trust your deposit is refundable.

I don't know what will happen with your OBC from the TA if you change to a different price structure. You will lose the OBC from Princess and move to whatever the current offer is.

There are times I can't figure out OBC at all. We got some from Princess in our April cruise because the TA belongs to an umbrella group that was supposedly offering it. I'm not sure who actually provided the OBC. The TA knew nothing about it, but Princess had the agency coded in a way that got it applied. This OBC was not available on our fall cruise, TA checked.

Edited by moki'smommy

Good notes, I hope it works out. I'm thinking almost 2 years will give us some opportunities, but we don't want to give up the cabin :D (DH has decided he likes aft cabins and we should book early to get them--who am I to argue ;) )

Thanks for the part about 'if cabins in our category are available' explanation. I don't think I understood that until just now. Might explain why we had to change cabins on our last cruise during S&S promotion.

We used FCD, so all set on the deposit end. And we got $500 OBC credit from our TA, plus $200 from Princess, I don't know why!

Fingers crossed.

Thanks

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
added note

Never to early for that wonderful cabin..we've had it several times on sister ships, I have one of the most beautiful sunrise photos taken frm the Balcony's corner...probably my first 15 cruisers with Princess were in Aft/Stern cabins. I was an Aft'er for so long...You might get a price reduction or add on some perks..hold on to it, that and E731 still my 2 favorite cabins on that class ship, Enjoy!

Reason why we changed was my DH ...finally told me he preferred being more forward as he did not like walking so far to the Gym. Does that make sense...????

Enjoy!

Never to early for that wonderful cabin..we've had it several times on sister ships, I have one of the most beautiful sunrise photos taken frm the Balcony's corner...probably my first 15 cruisers with Princess were in Aft/Stern cabins. I was an Aft'er for so long...You might get a price reduction or add on some perks..hold on to it, that and E731 still my 2 favorite cabins on that class ship, Enjoy!

Reason why we changed was my DH ...finally told me he preferred being more forward as he did not like walking so far to the Gym. Does that make sense...????

Enjoy!

Thanks for confirming the cabin choice. it seemed like a good one but I couldn't find a lot of info until after I booked. Of course, we'd like a price reduction and perks but we don't have to be greedy :D

And I do understand the long walk to the gym. We had a long walk on the Royal last month, but I counted the walk as part of my exercise, so it was OK.

Time is on your side and I hope you are lucky. Plus I hope you are not traveling the Presidents Day holiday week because that is one of the most popular weeks in the winter. Ships tend to fill with vacationing families (winter break in New England and other parts of the US) and, should you need a hotel room over that specific weekend, hotel prices will be high and hotels often sell out (so book as soon as you can; usually a year in advance).

Time is on your side and I hope you are lucky. Plus I hope you are not traveling the Presidents Day holiday week because that is one of the most popular weeks in the winter. Ships tend to fill with vacationing families (winter break in New England and other parts of the US) and, should you need a hotel room over that specific weekend, hotel prices will be high and hotels often sell out (so book as soon as you can; usually a year in advance).

Hmm, excellent point. That is the weekend we will need a room. I will book a room early.

Thanks for noting that, it never even occurred to me. Our cruise is 14 days, with no return to FLL in the middle, so maybe not a lot of families, but the hotels will be full for 7-day cruises.

I will make a note to book a room early. Any advice/hints on where we could find a decent rate not too far from port? Hyatt Place thru valuetrips? But those dates might be blacked out?

Edited by NoWhiners
add a question

Hi,

We booked an aft suite super early for the very same reasons...

husband HAD to have an aft cabin

HAD to be a suite

there are just not that many ships that have full aft suites (not counting the monster over the top suites)…

oh...and they also have to be going somewhere we want to go

and....they have to be sailing MORE than 7 days (but not more than 2 weeks)

and (new "rule") I can't cheat and book two B2B cruises--he doesn't want those either

:rolleyes:

so we are ALSO booked on the Caribbean Princess for February 2020 in an aft suite

on Dolphin D736 I think

not sure if is the same sailing date...but certainly sounds like for similar reasons haha

kinda upset that fares went up so much, but "choosers" can't be "beggars"....not very likely that this category will have spare comparable cabins when the sales come....but at least I know we have a cabin we will really enjoy.... IF we can round up the money to pay for it (keep looking for that money tree to plant in my yard, but the nurseries where I live don't carry them)...

Hmm, excellent point. That is the weekend we will need a room. I will book a room early.

Thanks for noting that, it never even occurred to me. Our cruise is 14 days, with no return to FLL in the middle, so maybe not a lot of families, but the hotels will be full for 7-day cruises.

I will make a note to book a room early. Any advice/hints on where we could find a decent rate not too far from port? Hyatt Place thru valuetrips? But those dates might be blacked out?

We used Homewood Suites FLL. Good breakfast, nice rooms, complimentary shuttle within 3 miles, etc. I love Hyatt Place also, but there were 3 of us and we wanted separate beds...and a bit more room was lovely. They have a paid shuttle to the port, but Uber was cheaper and worked on our schedule.

We used Homewood Suites FLL. Good breakfast' date=' nice rooms, complimentary shuttle within 3 miles, etc. I love Hyatt Place also, but there were 3 of us and we wanted separate beds...and a bit more room was lovely. They have a paid shuttle to the port, but Uber was cheaper and worked on our schedule.[/quote']

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add it to my list.

You should be able to re-book this cruise (and keep the cabin you booked already) with the sip n sail that is usually offered mid June. Just keep monitoring this site and princess for when it starts. Even thou the sale runs most of the summer, there are only so many cabins that they offer for the promotion per sailing. Also, if you use a TA they may be able to add another perk on top of sip n sail.

For dis1277

so you're saying that if we want to keep the SAME cabin we have----like cancel booking and IMMEDIATELY rebook that same cabin, that we might be able to take advantage of a sale??

I think I would be afraid to do that online in case someone was trying to access that cabin right when we gave it up....but if it was possible to do it directly with Princess, then that would be something....

Right now, of course, there is no waiting list BUT if a sale came on later, when things are more booked up, would they actually honor the immediate rebooking to you of a cabin you just gave up, or would they instead give that cabin to the first party on the waiting list??Does ANYONE know the answer to that one???

Our cabin is something like 1200 MORE expensive than the same cabin on the same ship on the same itinerary and time of year in 2019....so a sale would be nice...but the cabin selection trumps the price

You should be able to re-book this cruise (and keep the cabin you booked already) with the sip n sail that is usually offered mid June. Just keep monitoring this site and princess for when it starts. Even thou the sale runs most of the summer, there are only so many cabins that they offer for the promotion per sailing. Also, if you use a TA they may be able to add another perk on top of sip n sail.

Yes, this is what I am hoping for. I will keep an eye out for S&S and keep my fingers crossed. Our TA has already given us $500 OBC, so not bad.

let's all pray for a great sale soon!!

It’s what I always do with Princess, book when I see the cabin I want at a price I can live with, then watch like a hawk for better deals, my record so far...

7 night cruise.

Saved over $1,000 and nearly the same again in OBC.

All up nearly $2,000 better off.

Then when can’t refare anymore never look at the price again.

For dis1277

so you're saying that if we want to keep the SAME cabin we have----like cancel booking and IMMEDIATELY rebook that same cabin, that we might be able to take advantage of a sale??

I think I would be afraid to do that online in case someone was trying to access that cabin right when we gave it up....but if it was possible to do it directly with Princess, then that would be something....

Right now, of course, there is no waiting list BUT if a sale came on later, when things are more booked up, would they actually honor the immediate rebooking to you of a cabin you just gave up, or would they instead give that cabin to the first party on the waiting list??Does ANYONE know the answer to that one???

Our cabin is something like 1200 MORE expensive than the same cabin on the same ship on the same itinerary and time of year in 2019....so a sale would be nice...but the cabin selection trumps the price

Most of the time, they will "refare" the cruise without you ever needing to give up the cabin you are in. But there needs to be a cabin in the same category still available. You will typically retain your same booking reservation number. All that happens is that their computer changes to the new fare and perks. No cancel, no rebook. They just have to be able to "see" the fare on their end.

On the other hand, we had a totally odd situation once. I had a fare on line that was significantly lower than my TA could see or that supposedly Princess could see, despite the fact that I'd sent a screen cap to the TA. She put a hold on the cruise for me, knowing that I was going to want the fare I'd seen. SO...we got on the phone to each other. I pulled the fare I'd found on the computer and she called Princess and canceled the hold. Within seconds of her telling me it was done, the cabin I wanted appeared. I hit the button to put a hold on it and sent her a copy of the hold showing the price and reservation number. She got on the phone to Princess again and paid for the cruise. Yes, it was a little risky, but worked fine. And if I'd lost the cabin, we would have chosen a different cruise.

I will never understand why I could see a fare that neither the TA nor Princess could find, even telling them exactly how I'd gotten it (the only think I did was to sign in under my Captain's Circle ID). But we've done the cruise now, so it really doesn't matter. What I've learned is that on a NEW booking, I should always put a hold on what I want, then deal with the fine tuning.

Most of the time' date=' they will "refare" the cruise without you ever needing to give up the cabin you are in. But there needs to be a cabin in the same category still available. You will typically retain your same booking reservation number. All that happens is that their computer changes to the new fare and perks. No cancel, no rebook. They just have to be able to "see" the fare on their end.

On the other hand, we had a totally odd situation once. I had a fare on line that was significantly lower than my TA could see or that supposedly Princess could see, despite the fact that I'd sent a screen cap to the TA. She put a hold on the cruise for me, knowing that I was going to want the fare I'd seen. SO...we got on the phone to each other. I pulled the fare I'd found on the computer and she called Princess and canceled the hold. Within seconds of her telling me it was done, the cabin I wanted appeared. I hit the button to put a hold on it and sent her a copy of the hold showing the price and reservation number. She got on the phone to Princess again and paid for the cruise. Yes, it was a little risky, but worked fine. And if I'd lost the cabin, we would have chosen a different cruise.

I will never understand why I could see a fare that neither the TA nor Princess could find, even telling them exactly how I'd gotten it (the only think I did was to sign in under my Captain's Circle ID). But we've done the cruise now, so it really doesn't matter. What I've learned is that on a NEW booking, I should always put a hold on what I want, then deal with the fine tuning.[/quote']

I’ve always been given a different booking number.

It’s what I always do with Princess, book when I see the cabin I want at a price I can live with, then watch like a hawk for better deals, my record so far...

7 night cruise.

Saved over $1,000 and nearly the same again in OBC.

All up nearly $2,000 better off.

Then when can’t refare anymore never look at the price again.

Hi Mr Gut

Good advice--do the best you can, then let it go!

We have kept the same booking number, but only did this once, to get S&S.

Hi Mr Gut

Good advice--do the best you can, then let it go!

We have kept the same booking number, but only did this once, to get S&S.

G’day mate, the one I mentioned actually had eight booking numbers, but they may do things different here.

G’day mate, the one I mentioned actually had eight booking numbers, but they may do things different here.

G'day (and how about those Swans :D)

8 booking numbers would drive me crazy. I would never feel like I had it right!

That is what I do without a problem so far. Book a cruise and cabin I want. Then when there is the sale I want, I call Princess or the TA and they add the sale and so far I have kept the same cabin. You do have to pay the current fare, but fortunately for me, it has always been the same. I tend to book my cruises at least a year or more in advance.

G'day (and how about those Swans :D)

8 booking numbers would drive me crazy. I would never feel like I had it right!

Never really needed to know my booking number.

Don’t mention the swans, AFL isn’t my main sport, but to the degree it is I’m a Carlton Blues man

In a perfect world, if there was a wait list and a cabin became available, the computer system would immediately assign it to the next person on the wait list.

Unless things have changed recently, that is not the way it works at Princess and a released cabin could be available for hours before somehow the wait list gets serviced. I have seen this on sold out cruises where there are posts on the roll call that a cabin has become available and soon there is a post by someone who said they called and immediately booked it. Sometimes the person doing that was on a wait list that did not assign the cabin and sometimes not on a wait list at all.

However, there is always the risk, even if small, that between the time you release a cabin and then want to book it again, someone else sees it is available and grabs it.

Hyatt Place may well be blacked out and even if it isn't those dates may not appear on the website until next summer. I wouldn't wait that long to book. Next February start looking at other hotel prices and find something you can live which but can be cancelled without a fee. The Florida Departures board (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495) is a good place to start your research.

I also forgot to note that the Sunday of Presidents Day weekend is the annual Fort Lauderdale marathon. While not as popular as Boston, NYC or DC it does bring in runners (and their families) that will be looking for hotel rooms. Not to add too much stress :), just make at least an initial reservation early.

I book as early as I can when they open up itineraries usually to get cabin I want also. Then I watch like a hawk, not only for sales, but for price drops that literally may only last 1/2 of a day!!!! Latest example of this is my March, 2018, Caribbean cruise on the Royal. Initial Booking was in June, 2017 and after 4 refarings/rebookings(why you always have refundable deposits!), saved $1450. On my October, 2018, Canada/NE cruise, I initially booked September, 2017. After 4 refarings/rebookings, I have saved $3750. So yes, book as soon as you know what cruise you want to get the cabin you want and then watch the Princess site like a hawk for any sales or price decreases!! Good luck and have a great cruise.

Pooh