Alaska - Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer vs. Staying on Bliss

Hi CC Community,

My wife and I + two boys (11 and 9) are taking our second cruise this August on NCL. This time to Alaska on the Bliss (can't wait).

I have a lot planned this trip already and was wondering if the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion was really that much better than staying on the ship that day? To give some context, here is what we have planned already:

Ketchikan: Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast (boat tour and yummy fresh crab)

Juneau AM: Helicopter Tour and Land on glacier walkabout (booked through Viator)

Juneau PM: This is the afternoon that the Tracy Arm excursion is offered. Should I add this or stay on the Bliss?

Skagway: Not decided yet. Leaning toward Chilkoot Trail Hike and River Float. Also interested in the train that day. I like the idea of being IN nature vs looking AT nature.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all have.

Kevin

Hi CC Community,

My wife and I + two boys (11 and 9) are taking our second cruise this August on NCL. This time to Alaska on the Bliss (can't wait).

I have a lot planned this trip already and was wondering if the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion was really that much better than staying on the ship that day? To give some context, here is what we have planned already:

Ketchikan: Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast (boat tour and yummy fresh crab)

Juneau AM: Helicopter Tour and Land on glacier walkabout (booked through Viator)

Juneau PM: This is the afternoon that the Tracy Arm excursion is offered. Should I add this or stay on the Bliss?

Skagway: Not decided yet. Leaning toward Chilkoot Trail Hike and River Float. Also interested in the train that day. I like the idea of being IN nature vs looking AT nature.

Kevin

One of the people on the current cruise just posted about the Tracy arm excursion. Looks like they loved it. Check the trip reports being posted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of the people on the current cruise just posted about the Tracy arm excursion. Looks like they loved it. Check the trip reports being posted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check the trip reports *** - I believe that the BLISS went to the Endicott - Dawes Glacier.

I guess there was a lot of ice flow at both locations but lessor so Dawes.

*** a couple of threads about the BLISS maiden Alaskan voyage have been posted with great pictures

and more discussion.

Hi CC Community,

Kevin

For Skagway do the Trail Hike & River Float - hiking on shale, in a temperate rain forest is a challenge (unique to this part of the world, I thnk)! I found the White Pass train ride LONG.

The add on boat tour of either Endicott or Tracy Arm, is grossly superior compared to the cruise ship transit. BUT, it depends on you??? You have much more opportunity for good wildlife viewing and getting closer to a glacier. For some, staying on the ship is the choice.

Frankly in Ketchikan, I never book the Crab Fest ahead, it is available direct with being able to be more flexible.

Hi CC Community,

Kevin

You mentioned that you like the idea of being IN nature vs looking AT nature, so I would recommend taking the Tracy Arm excursion. You will really feel like you are in Alaska. With some luck, your Captain will maneuver the boat for closer wildlife sightings. The 'experience' is measurably better than being on the ship, IMO.

No doubt expensive at $179 pp however the pictures just posted on Euroran report from yesterday are top notch! They had calving right in front of them, a bear, whale, seals and made fresh margaritas from ice used from the icebergs. Definitely worth it in my opinion but we booked as a couple rather then a couple and kids. Whatever you decide, enjoy all that you have planned!

Hi CC Community,

Kevin

oh by all means do the train. I have done it twice and you will learn a lot as they narrate on the way up. Very worthwhile.

Tracy Arm is amazing! It is like stepping back in time with the high cliff walls and the bergs in the water. We have seen bears and wolves on the shores when we have been with the smaller boat cruises. Seals with pups on the ice and even an orca in the fjord. Just spectacular.

Fabulous advice and recommendations from each of you. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I have decided to add the excursion. The pictures from the smaller boat are incredible. Looks like you are right there and surrounded by the amazing Alaska landscape.

Hi CC Community,

Kevin

You won't regret it. We were on the NCL JEWEL last week and did the Tracy Arm excursion that went to Dawes. It was the best excursion. The captain of the excursion circled this huge iceberg and went very close to it that we were able to touch it. It was amazing! We also saw lots of whales. The waterfalls etc were beautiful.

Purchase it before you go. Saw that the price on the ship was $249

No doubt expensive at $179 pp however the pictures just posted on Euroran report from yesterday are top notch! They had calving right in front of them, a bear, whale, seals and made fresh margaritas from ice used from the icebergs. Definitely worth it in my opinion but we booked as a couple rather then a couple and kids. Whatever you decide, enjoy all that you have planned!

birdtravels trip report, not me - my pix will show up after September 1!

I'm also double-booked, am I'm doing whale watch/Mendenhall photo safari. I get back to Bliss 12:30, Tracy Arm starts 1:15. I asked NCL shorex about the 45 minute window (which was 15 initially, they moved back my start time for whale watch!!) and they said 45 mins is enough, and if I miss Tracy Arm they'll refund me since I'm on all-NCL excursions. One plug for doing these through cruiseline if you are planning to do both with short time interval between, unless using same tour operator for both.