No more Coffee Cards

LARGIN

Yeah, same here. We are on the CB in Sept, so that means we go to the IC grab our coffee's and then head to the Lido for breakfast....Not sure where the coffee comes from if you order it there. Anyone know?

There is a bar on Lido by the pool, just forward of horizon court, that opens about 5:30 in the morning. Brewed coffees, espresso beverages, get it on your way into the buffet.

Or give us back the 2 coffee card option.

It's not like they're going to let us use it again, once we get off the ship.

Since I am reading the cards are electronic and only good for one cruise, how in the world would you use 30 “punches” on a 7 day cruise? Now for our 49 day cruise in February that would work. 🤗

Cheers, Denise

Interesting that they have changed the rules on already purchased coffee cards. I bought the card on the understanding that any unused punches were valid indefinitely - this is now not the case.

Classic mis-selling (bait and switch). Don't know about US law but that is defintiely illegal in the EU.

I think this is also illegal for any coffee cards that were purchased while in a California port, and possibly some other states as well. I believe these would be treated under the law like prepaid gift cards which are not allowed to have an expiration date. Even if you decide that a coffee card fits into a loophole that allows for expiration dates, you cannot add them retroactively. Such dates must be in 10 point type on the front of the card before the purchaser pays for it.

I think this is also illegal for any coffee cards that were purchased while in a California port, and possibly some other states as well. I believe these would be treated under the law like prepaid gift cards which are not allowed to have an expiration date. Even if you decide that a coffee card fits into a loophole that allows for expiration dates, you cannot add them retroactively. Such dates must be in 10 point type on the front of the card before the purchaser pays for it.

If you purchased the cards while in port they would add LA tax...which they do not, so not even an issue. They charge all beverage packages later in the evening to avoid the sales tax.

The new system is so much better. If you like coffee and find it an important part of your cruise vacation, $35 is a deal.

I agree, I believe they were planning to implement the change with the *****, but since that has been stalled, this is what we have.

Maybe that was an issue, people bought the card and got brewed coffee only then returned the cards at the end of the cruise.

Would not work, because ship & sail date should be written on the back of the card first use for brewed or specialty.

Edited by land lover

Since I am reading the cards are electronic and only good for one cruise, how in the world would you use 30 “punches” on a 7 day cruise? Now for our 49 day cruise in February that would work. 🤗

Cheers, Denise

Even on a 10 day cruise, that's pushing it, if you even do only one cup a day, now you are kinda forced to do two cups.

We don’t enjoy alcoholic beverages and drink very little soda so the exchange of the elite mini bar for two coffee cards was great for us. Any change that reduces our elite benefits is certainly disappointing. Selfishly, I would appreciate more exchange options that might include specialty dining, the spa, or on-board shopping.

While I understand that Princess wants to control the abuses that have been discussed I cannot imagine that the number of abuses is that significant to warrant these changes. To avoid disrupting those who actually purchase coffee cards, I think it would have been much easier for Princess to have a different style/color of coffee card for the elite benefit that is only valid on the current voyage. Those who purchase coffee cards could then continue to enjoy their unused punches without an expiration date.

Edited by usviking
spelling corrections

After all is said & done Princess is hoping that they'll be many unused punches that are not redeemed. I'll make, sure one way of the other, someone gets to enjoy them even if I have to stand in the coffee line on the last day & announce free coffee to the first 5 people. :cool:

This thread is taking a life like the bottled water fiasco earlier this year. Maybe if enough people inundate Princess with emails of dissatisfaction, they just MIGHT put it back the way it was

Well, IMHO the biggest thing that needs to be put back is that the mini bar is good for 2 coffee cards, whether electronic or paper. The concept of 2 elites or guests in a suite having to choose which ONE gets the perk really isn't fair and doesn't compare with the cost of a mini-bar.

I can live with the concept that perk cards expire at the end of the cruise. I don't like it, but it is tolerable. But if you bought the card, the punches should continue to be valid. Otherwise, they won't sell any coffee cards on short cruises! Princess made a bad decision all around. This could have been much better thought through prior to instituting the changes.

We don’t enjoy alcoholic beverages and drink very little soda so the exchange of the elite mini bar for two coffee cards was great for us. Any change that reduces our elite benefits is certainly disappointing. Selfishly, I would appreciate more exchange options that might include specialty dining, the spa, or on-board shopping.

While I understand that Princess wants to control the abuses that have been discussed I cannot imagine that the number of abuses is that significant to warrant these changes. To avoid disrupting those who actually purchase coffee cards, I think it would have been much easier for Princess to have a different style/color of coffee card for the elite benefit that is only valid on the current voyage. Those who purchase coffee cards could then continue to enjoy their unused punches without an expiration date.

I think this idea should had been implemented, when they started letting "mini bars" exchange for the cards. That way all these extra non-purchased cards would not be floating around.

Now it is to late gng electronic, tracking would be a nightmare..for a mere $35 dollar investment.

This thread is taking a life like the bottled water fiasco earlier this year. Maybe if enough people inundate Princess with emails of dissatisfaction, they just MIGHT put it back the way it was

Like they did when they tried charging for Alfredo's!

I don’t drink coffee but DW likes the fresh brewed coffee and if DD sails with us she likes specialty coffees. In addition to 2 coffee cards, why not make the exchange fair for the non coffee drinkers by allowing us to exchange for 2 bottles of wine up to $31/bottle or 16 1.5l water bottles that have a value of $56. Even better, why not allow a mix and match. That way, I could get a bottle of wine and DW a coffee card, or if DD, who is only platinum, is sailing with I could forgo the wine and give her my benefit. Reducing the benefit to 1 Card makes the benefit fair for non coffee drinkers.

Like they did when they tried charging for Alfredo's!

no way..,,

There was no back peddling on the AIDP.....many of us lost out on that, whether we purchased or promo our only option refund if purchased.

They probably threw" the water" out there to stir the pot, knowing other changes are coming like this...;):D.

Since the ***** is stalled...we will probably see a lot more things on our cards rather than the use of vouchers...

We've cruised a lot of days with Princess in the last year+..and in that time have seen a lot more things go "automated."

I don’t drink coffee but DW likes the fresh brewed coffee and if DD sails with us she likes specialty coffees. In addition to 2 coffee cards, why not make the exchange fair for the non coffee drinkers by allowing us to exchange for 2 bottles of wine up to $31/bottle or 16 1.5l water bottles that have a value of $56. Even better, why not allow a mix and match. That way, I could get a bottle of wine and DW a coffee card, or if DD, who is only platinum, is sailing with I could forgo the wine and give her my benefit. Reducing the benefit to 1 Card makes the benefit fair for non coffee drinkers.

My vote would be get rid of mini bars except in suites. All elites get 3 or 4 drinks(their choice) per day included on their cruise card.

That way everyone is happy..if they do not use them that day they lose them.

If you purchased the cards while in port they would add LA tax...which they do not, so not even an issue. They charge all beverage packages later in the evening to avoid the sales tax.

There is no sales tax when purchasing gift cards in California. I believe you when you say they put the charges through after sailing out of CA ports, but the reason for doing that with coffee cards should not be related to sales tax as they shouldn't be collecting it anyway.

The U.S. code of federal regulations also includes this paragraph in section 205.20:

(3)
Disclosures prior to purchase.
Before a gift certificate, store gift card, or general-use prepaid card is purchased, a
that issues or sells such certificate or card must disclose to the
the information required by paragraphs (d)(2), (e)(3), and (f)(1) of this section. The
and terms and
conditions of expiration that are required to be disclosed prior to purchase may not be changed after purchase

I guess if Princess has never charged anyone for a coffee card while in U.S. waters, or ever let anyone pay for one via the website, then they can say the law doesn't apply and they're allowed to retroactively change the terms of the sale.

There is no sales tax when purchasing gift cards in California. I believe you when you say they put the charges through after sailing out of CA ports, but the reason for doing that with coffee cards should not be related to sales tax as they shouldn't be collecting it anyway.

The U.S. code of federal regulations also includes this paragraph in section 205.20:

(3)
Disclosures prior to purchase.
Before a gift certificate, store gift card, or general-use prepaid card is purchased, a
that issues or sells such certificate or card must disclose to the
the information required by paragraphs (d)(2), (e)(3), and (f)(1) of this section. The
and terms and
conditions of expiration that are required to be disclosed prior to purchase may not be changed after purchase

I guess if Princess has never charged anyone for a coffee card while in U.S. waters, or ever let anyone pay for one via the website, then they can say the law doesn't apply and they're allowed to retroactively change the terms of the sale.

You're correct, I didn't even think about on tak on GCs.....But, If we really want to get technical...they are not gift cards;):D They are just printed paper, no value is reflected on them anywhere.

My vote would be get rid of mini bars except in suites. All elites get 3 or 4 drinks(their choice) per day included on their cruise card.

That way everyone is happy..if they do not use them that day they lose them.

Now that is a FINE idea! I would go for that change in an instant!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was sucked into this thread the other day. I have to say, it is absolutely hilarious.

I have run out of popcorn, though.

I hope you have a couple bottles of your best wine by your side....I definatley should be on a cruise.....and not posting or reading... LARGIN it is all your fault....