No more Coffee Cards

LARGIN

It appears that there are some people who sail Princess who don't mind being screwed over & accept it willingly.

We've all obtained our cards under the premise of being used in the future and this move only shows how Princess really feels about their loyal customers.

It's sad.:(

Horse Hockey.

I may not have made such a post, but we found Seattle's Best brewed coffee served at no additional charge on RCCL and found it to be superior to any of the Nescafe syrup (or concentrate if you will) coffee served on Princess.

If you want really good coffee, try Hurtigruten. Norwegians have the best coffee in the world and its always fresh.

I have checked the cruise critic threads for CCL, RCCL, etc. and find many posts about hopw bad the free regular coffee is on their ships.

I have yet to come across a post about any of Princess' competitors that says their ship had great free regular coffee.

had to love the Italian Lavazza brand free coffee on Celebrity

I have checked the cruise critic threads for CCL, RCCL, etc. and find many posts about hopw bad the free regular coffee is on their ships.

I have yet to come across a post about any of Princess' competitors that says their ship had great free regular coffee.

RCL has Seattles Best with no surcharge which is far superior to anything Princess serves. I'm looking to Azamara for future cruises because they are more inclusive, smaller ships, and provide some excursions and other benefits at a very fair price compared to Princess.

Was reading on another thread that many of the agents work from home. This was no surprise since I often hear children in the background or other household sounds. It does account for varying answers for different agents. I imagine they get a few updates by computer daily to policies some read, some unread. If a major change I never take it as fact unless confirmed or denied by 3 agents. A month ago on a 14 day cruise coffee cards could be bought on board as normal. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This makes my two calls yesterday on this topic make sense. Both times the agent didn't know anything about the change and said that they would have to call to find out. I suggested that I would forward them the email ingot from princess explaining the program and they each said that they couldn't receive emails. I then asked what would happen since I'd purchased 2 cards in one transaction months ago, but one was for my husband. Bottom line (after waiting on lengthy hold each time for them to call and find out) was that they said they couldn't assign one card to my husband on line, I would have to wait in the service line onboard and handle it there, or cancel the order and repurchase as separate transactions online myself. Whole thing seems like a confusing pain in the neck and diminished value since you now have to drink 15 cups of speciality coffees in 7 days, or a LOT of brewed coffee, to make the $36 cost effective. Not super impressed with this move as a new to Princess passenger.

Did you not find the coffee better on your Celebrity cruise? I have to buy a latte every day on Princess. I quite enjoy the free Celebrity coffee in the buffet. I may buy one coffee a cruise on Celebrity.

We are new to Princess and do love our coffee... hoping someone can provide some pricing info so we can decide what we want to do about this. I'm sure there are some variations, but can anyone give me an idea of what the price fr a cappuccino or latte is if you don't have the card, and the cost of a cup of brewed coffee if you don't have the card? Also, does the card redemption work for large or small coffee if there are different size options? Appreciate the help & guidance from all of the veteran Princess cruisers!

We are new to Princess and do love our coffee... hoping someone can provide some pricing info so we can decide what we want to do about this. I'm sure there are some variations, but can anyone give me an idea of what the price fr a cappuccino or latte is if you don't have the card, and the cost of a cup of brewed coffee if you don't have the card? Also, does the card redemption work for large or small coffee if there are different size options? Appreciate the help & guidance from all of the veteran Princess cruisers!

Hopefully you can view these recently posted photos of those prices.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h19FheGlcD0jQuQ-OS7DTboAXaQ5bEvb/view

The $31 coffee card price adds a 15% gratuity like all drink purchases for a total of $35.65. Cappuccino or latte are $2.50 (small) or $3.50 (large) plus 15% gratuity and with the coffee card & new coffee program you can get either size & brewed coffee is $1.25 or $1.75.

Hopefully you can view these recently posted photos of those prices.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h19FheGlcD0jQuQ-OS7DTboAXaQ5bEvb/view

The $31 coffee card price adds a 15% gratuity like all drink purchases for a total of $35.65. Cappuccino or latte are $2.50 (small) or $3.50 (large) plus 15% gratuity and with the coffee card & new coffee program you can get either size & brewed coffee is $1.25 or $1.75.

Thanks, that's a big help! So, gratuity being the same either way, and if I can use my "card" for either size, $31 ÷ $3.50 = 8.8. If I get 9 speciality during the week I break even. Every additional speciality drink and brewed coffee puts me ahead. Not crazy about the new rules, but this still makes sense for me... as long as we can get large drinks we'll keep our pre-purchased cards.

Thanks, that's a big help! So, gratuity being the same either way, and if I can use my "card" for either size, $31 ÷ $3.50 = 8.8. If I get 9 speciality during the week I break even. Every additional speciality drink and brewed coffee puts me ahead. Not crazy about the new rules, but this still makes sense for me... as long as we can get large drinks we'll keep our pre-purchased cards.

Unless something changes you’ve got the new coffee package procedure correctly. The new rules state that the number of specialty coffees in the new version (attached to cruise card & expire at end of cruise) will “vary by itinerary”. I haven’t seen a lower number for my 7-day cruises next spring but it’ll probably take some time to update all future cruises with a lower number of coffees for shorter cruises.

They typically punch once for small drinks, twice for large. Sometimes you'll get a nice barista who punches once for a large drink especially if it's something simple (e.g. a cappucino with nothing added). But "nice barista" and "International Cafe" is an exceedingly rare combination.

I was pretty happy when I saw the remodel of the ice cream place on the Grand - they now have espresso drinks up there as well. Nice to not have to go all the way down to IC before grabbing food at HC if you are inclined to combine the two.

The coffee cards have been a staple for me and DW, but the difference between the new program and the old is not really a big deal. I do prefer the brewed coffee slightly, so I'll probably still get the coffee package, but I have consumed quite a lot of the free coffee and the free iced tea in our four cruises. I'm not particularly picky.

A general note on this thread. It seems like Princess continues to move towards nickeling and diming. I started cruising in 2015 so I never got to experience the heyday. But the reality is that you're there to relax and a cruise is still among the more economical ways to travel overall. It's really not worth worrying about this, especially for those who are taking their first cruise; just go and enjoy yourself.

Edited by 500adverbs
Minor rephrase

I’ve never had 2 punches for a large drink which have always been one punch for my cappuccino or my wife’s frappuccino.

Yeah me neither. It’s always one punch whenever I order. And the terms say ‘1 punch no matter the price’ so someone got their lines crossed for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't forget we PAID up front for TIPS when we purchased these cards, maybe refund percentage of tips back? Money GONE?

You know, that's something I didn't consider.:mad:

I'll be reducing my gratuities by the full amount I'm losing on my coffee cards that expire form now on and letting them know the reason why.

It's to bad the crew has to suffer for a terrible management decision.

They typically punch once for small drinks, twice for large. Sometimes you'll get a nice barista who punches once for a large drink especially if it's something simple (e.g. a cappucino with nothing added). But "nice barista" and "International Cafe" is an exceedingly rare combination.

I was pretty happy when I saw the remodel of the ice cream place on the Grand - they now have espresso drinks up there as well. Nice to not have to go all the way down to IC before grabbing food at HC if you are inclined to combine the two.

The coffee cards have been a staple for me and DW, but the difference between the new program and the old is not really a big deal. I do prefer the brewed coffee slightly, so I'll probably still get the coffee package, but I have consumed quite a lot of the free coffee and the free iced tea in our four cruises. I'm not particularly picky.

A general note on this thread. It seems like Princess continues to move towards nickeling and diming. I started cruising in 2015 so I never got to experience the heyday. But the reality is that you're there to relax and a cruise is still among the more economical ways to travel overall. It's really not worth worrying about this, especially for those who are taking their first cruise; just go and enjoy yourself.

That information is outright incorrect...........With nearly 260 sea days on Princess, we have NEVER been charged 2 punches for any kind of LARGE specialty coffee....their Blended Banoffee (Banana Coffee) is to die for.

A large one with a WHOLE banana (usually it's half a banana) plus extra whipped cream and caramel syrup

has NEVER cost us more than one punch.

I also beg to differ about your comment that a nice barista and International Cafe is an exceedingly rare combination. We have NEVER come across a barista who was not "nice" as you put it. Actually they have always been nice and very accommodating of our requests.

And just to be clear, we are NOT Princess cheerleaders NOR do we cruise exclusively with just Princess.

Edited by 1AL

I'll be reducing my gratuities by the full amount I'm losing on my coffee cards that expire form now on and letting them know the reason why.

I don't think it's fair to take out your displeasure on the crew. What Princess management decides shouldn't affect what your cabin steward and waiters receive.

their Blended Banoffee (Banana Coffee) is to die for.

A large one with a WHOLE banana (usually it's half a banana) plus extra whipped cream and caramel syrup

has NEVER cost us more than one punch.

Do you order this as a cold coffee drink, like a frappe? Sounds delish. I will be asking for a banoffee on my next princess cruise, Alaska June 2019.

I don't think it's fair to take out your displeasure on the crew. What Princess management decides shouldn't affect what your cabin steward and waiters receive.

Sorry, it works both ways. The crew should also be annoyed with the way Princess has cheated the people out of their money.

It's not like the reduction in gratuities will be forever- Just until I recoup some of my money that Princess intends to steal.

If you really want to get even with Princess, why don't you book your next few cruises with RCCL? That hits them on the bottom line.

Did you not find the coffee better on your Celebrity cruise? I have to buy a latte every day on Princess. I quite enjoy the free Celebrity coffee in the buffet. I may buy one coffee a cruise on Celebrity.

One of the FEW things I liked better about Celebrity was the coffee. Hated Cafe al Bacio, the International Cafe "equivalent". Desserts much better on Princess.

Sorry, it works both ways. The crew should also be annoyed with the way Princess has cheated the people out of their money.

It's not like the reduction in gratuities will be forever- Just until I recoup some of my money that Princess intends to steal.

Wow - I would never stoop that low.

You may not want to take your anger at management at those who make the least and work pretty darn hard for their money.