No more Coffee Cards

LARGIN

I don't drink coffee - so I don't have a beef in this.

IMO - how the coffee card was setup was flawed to begin with. Most take 7 night cruises and it was difficult to use all of it on one cruise which then created issues.

On a side note, when I first started cruising with Princess in the late 90's, they didn't charge for speciality coffee drinks and brewed coffee at the Patissere was also available at no charge. I honestly think these should be included free.

That's the first thing I noticed as this has been a pet peeve of mine..I know it is none of my business...but on a few of my sailings 2 years ago roll callers were actually selling them for 25 bucks on the roll calls. And some claimed they had purchased them...I didn't question the validity of their statements ...but the reality is if you purchased a card on a cruise and did not use it, it can return for a full refund, so why would you keep it?

Just be honest! ..Seller " I got a perk card..want to sell it so I can pocket the cash"..okay I'll shut up now:halo::evilsmile::eek: like I said DOMB...

I suppose you "purchased" it in what you paid for the suite or the many cruises to achieve elite status.

Tom--I did check under the suite perks policy. The page I reviewed listed the mini-bar but didn't say anything about the ability to trade it out for anything. The Elite listing on Captain's Circle page only makes reference to the ability to trade the mini bar contents, but doesn't say what they can be traded for.

IMO - how the coffee card was setup was flawed to begin with. Most take 7 night cruises and it was difficult to use all of it on one cruise which then created issues.

On a side note, when I first started cruising with Princess in the late 90's, they didn't charge for speciality coffee drinks and brewed coffee at the Patissere was also available at no charge. I honestly think these should be included free.

Indeed. I look at it this way…If someone who pays for a cruise buys too many coffee cards and decides to sell them on Ebay - how is that hurting Princess? I mean, they were originally paid for, right? So who is losing money?

The idea of the coffee card was to have Princess make money..they were banking on pax no using all punches.

Then many elites pushed for non-alcoholic options for the mini bar, so the CC trade became an option.

I don't drink coffee either..but it certainly was nice when having the AIPB & PBP to xchange mini bar for coffee cards and use the punches on future cruises for tea drinks...DH uses them for espresso, but that is hardly worth a punch.

Edited by land lover

Indeed. I look at it this way…If someone who pays for a cruise buys too many coffee cards and decides to sell them on Ebay - how is that hurting Princess? I mean, they were originally paid for, right? So who is losing money?

But that is not the case, those selling on ebay have received them from exchanging their mini bar, or are selling fraudulent cards.

When the cards were first available, they were selling 2 as a BOGO....that would have been the only reason to buy extra.

And as I mentioned on another post, if you over purchased (meaning is shows on your SBA cards on a cruise), full refunds would be issued as OBC. So no need to sell them.

Edited by land lover

Just another poorly written Princess terms & conditions change in policy.

The new T&C for our upcoming 14-day cruise shows the new policy & is $35.65 for 15 specialty coffees. Based on this T&C statement how many pre-purchased specialty coffees will vary based on itinerary:

pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase“.

For a Spring 2019 7-day cruise it’s also $35.65 for 15 specialty coffees so their T&C statement contradicts what’s available in my Cruise Personalizer. If based on itinerary then a shorter cruise would have fewer specialty coffees at a lower price.

Our cruise in 2 weeks shows the new T&C and it won’t be long until I know more about the implementation of this new policy.

This really Pixxes me off! We just paid nearly 8 thousand dollars to cruise on Princess again (16th time) and they act like "Brewed Coffee" is caviar and truffles and must be regulated and paid extra for. What next, a butter surcharge?

Edited by MTJSR

Princess is notoriously slow in changing FAQ information & have seen it lag behind by a month or more resulting in confusion due to contradictory statements.

For an April cruise BIL ordered a coffee card for the cruise on line..he tells my sister info states on line punches good for future cruises.... So sister makes a comment to me about an expiration on the card and how BIL didn't know what he was talking about. I have yet to tell either of them, he was right as Princess never updated any coffee card info for on-line purchases, when random expiration dates were showing up on cards late last year.

This really Pixxes me off! We just paid nearly 8 thousand dollars to cruise on Princess again (16th time) and they act like "Brewed Coffee" is caviar and truffles and must be regulated and paid extra for. What next, a butter surcharge?

THANK YOU!!! (y)

Like you, we paid a great deal of money (at least for us) to take our first cruise on Princess. For us - it is "supposed" to be one of my DW all time bucket list events. We have traveled the world (repeatedly) and have never experienced paying for brewed coffee - which is why it comes as a complete surprise to us. It's not a "deal breaker" by any means - but we will think long and hard about ever cruising again.

I mean, My God - even Motel 6 offers free fresh brewed coffee each morning….. :D

And this is different than what is printed in the FAQ page for either suites or elites. It would be really nice if Princess could be more consistent.

They are nothing but consistent with being inconsistent!!! LOL

Disappointing!

We found it much simpler to use one coffee card at a time for our espressos. Use up one card for both of us then buy another. The problem with the new system is that it won't be cost effective to buy the package. DH typically drinks two espressos per day, but I only drink one. So to be cost effective for me the cruise would have to be longer than 15 days.

The Australian price for the coffee card was $36 on the Diamond cruise we did in March. The espresso price was $2.75 gratuity included.

Using all 15 punches the espressos cost $2.40 each.

If we only used 14 of the punches they would have effectively cost $2.57 each.

If we only used 13 of the punches they would have effectively cost $2.78 each so at that point we've lost on the deal.

Of course, if you drink lattes or cappuchinos then there is less chance of losing on the deal.

Princess is notoriously slow in changing FAQ information & have seen it lag behind by a month or more resulting in confusion due to contradictory statements.

Princess isn't the only cruise line that suffers from this exact practice. Actually, is pretty common across all of the larger common lines.

If I pay for 15 specialty coffees, why can’t I share them with others? I understand not sharing the brewed coffee, tea, etc., but why not the specialty coffees? Currently, one card gets me and DW one latte each morning to get us moving..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I pay for 15 specialty coffees, why can’t I share them with others? I understand not sharing the brewed coffee, tea, etc., but why not the specialty coffees? Currently, one card gets me and DW one latte each morning to get us moving..

Do you also support sharing alcohol beverages if one person gets the package?

Exactly--I drink tea, my cruising buddy drinks diet coke. If we share 15 punches, we MIGHT use them during a cruise. If they are limited to one person, there is no way. If I have to choose, I'll drink the "normal" tea and we'll skip the coffee card. I don't have a Starbucks tea every day at home...or even every week!

Do you also support sharing alcohol beverages if one person gets the package?

If I’m paying for a limited quantity, I should be able to share. If I buy a water package to have 12 bottles of water delivered to my stateroom, can I not share those either?

I "think" you could use your punches and then give that beverage to whoever you choose if you don't drink it yourself. But the person having the punches on their account has to place the order and can't share by having someone else get the drink, like you could by handing them your card to use. I think it's the "free" brewed coffee that can't be shared.

If I’m paying for a limited quantity, I should be able to share. If I buy a water package to have 12 bottles of water delivered to my stateroom, can I not share those either?

You had better not!! They have a brig on those boats, you know. :D

THANK YOU!!! (y)

Like you, we paid a great deal of money (at least for us) to take our first cruise on Princess. For us - it is "supposed" to be one of my DW all time bucket list events. We have traveled the world (repeatedly) and have never experienced paying for brewed coffee - which is why it comes as a complete surprise to us. It's not a "deal breaker" by any means - but we will think long and hard about ever cruising again.

I mean, My God - even Motel 6 offers free fresh brewed coffee each morning….. :D

They do offer coffee for free..if you hadn't come to Cruise Critic you would never had known "the type".

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.;)

Many people find the coffee on Princess cruises acceptable, I have yet to hear any guest in the MDR complain about the coffee, mainly the concerns have been where is my coffee or I need a refill.

You'll just have to see what you think of the coffee when you board....many who say the coffee is dreadful do get their coffee card from a mini-bar exchange, In the future will they pay for "brewed coffee" ???? or just settle for the free stuff.

2 weeks ago I returned from an Alaskan cruise on Ruby.....2/3s of the Pax were first time cruisers. At the International Cafe there was seldom a line to get coffee or specialty drinks, A sharp contrast to several of my other cruises last year, where everyone was manned with a coffee card and the line could be 25 deep on some mornings.

Edited by land lover

My thoughts exactly. Many of these long time and repeat cruisers take these things like they are some kind of "law" - which I do not understand. If I purchase the "unlimited soda" package (which I did, for myself) and my DW wants to share out of my mug - who gives a damn? I mean seriously! Is it going to bankrupt Princess? Doubtful.

Oh well…live and learn I guess. ;)

That’s comparing apples and oranges. Specialty coffees aren’t unlimited under the plan, sodas are. If I get me and my wife a coffee, that’s less I can get during the rest of the voyage. It’s like letting a person buy a bucket of 5 beers but saying they have to drink them all by themselves (after they’ve all been opened by the bartender).

If someone shares a soda, they’ll just refill, costing the line more money.

Was on Emerald last week and waited until last Thursday to swap my elite minibar. I was waffling about getting coffee cards due to the 12/31/18 expiration showing up on recent cards. Never took the time to inquire if Emerald was using the new dated cards or not so decided to just swap for a bottle of so-so room service wine.

Called room service to see which wines were eligible for the swap as the book in the cabin didn’t list any prices. Instead of answering my question, the lady asked if I had all the pieces of the mini bar and proceeded to verbalize the entire mini bar list. I said I had them all and wanted to know which wines were eligible. She then told me I could swap for...she gave the entire list of what could be done and was specific as to numbers (i.e. eight 1.5 l water, etc.). We did finally get to the wine but she didn’t give me prices.

Here is my point: I noticed she either said “a coffee card” or maybe “one coffee card” (likely the former) and I wondered if she just misspoke because I knew it’s ‘supposed’ to be two cards. Maybe...it was just one card for the swap and the new policy had begun. I did not ask for clarification on the card-count since I had decided to get wine instead, as I have 3 blank cards + 1 partial that are not likely to get used up by end of 2019.