“Chair hogging” in Observation Lounge.

Maya1234

So you don’t think there is such a thing as chair hogs? You think it’s acceptable for someone to go out to the pool deck at 7 in the morning, put a towel down, only to return after lunch time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And how often have you been at the pool deck prior to seven and waited there until after lunch to observe this happening?

LOL I can imagine your feelings had I used the avatar that I initially intended to use. I may just have to switch. I guess you never look anyone in the face when you are talking to them either, huh? LOL

So now we have grown the list by one...

Smoking

Proper use of loungers and chairs

Tipping

Acceptable dining attire

Did I miss anything? :)

Actually, I am a medical professional and I look every single patient in the eye. That avatar is just so annoying.

As for the other topics, I usually just look and don't comment, if I can help it.

Per the NCL Guest Conduct Policy [note the word Guest]

"DISCOURTEOUS OR DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted. Boom boxes or loud radios are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board; except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s management."

So, when I run into what I consider a situation of reserving chairs, I'll deal with it. And yes, if the reserved chairs are near the pool, I'll certainly have them high on the list.

I'll also be speaking with NCL about modifying this policy to include the coveted chairs in the Observation Lounge/Sleeping Quarters

There is one chair.

Two people want the chair.

Person A has the chair.

Person B denigrates Person A by labeling them a "chair hog".

That is what this is all about.

The chair is not available because Person A has it. Person B simply wants the chair to not be available because they have it instead.

Mine. Mine. Mine.

No.”chair hogging” occurs when Person A does not actually HAVE the chair. It happens when only Person A’s things “have” the chair.

. . . and THIS is where you lost me.

Could you please point out where I said that chair hogs don't exist? Where I said there was no such thing?

Could it be that I only said the chair hog exists because one person wants a chair that another person already has?

If Person B didn't want the chair, Person A could have it all day and not be a chair hog.

Well you did say “denigrate” and “labels” them a chair hog. It wasn’t a far jump for someone to think you were taking the side of the chair hog. Either way I was just asking valid questions.

No.”chair hogging” occurs when Person A does not actually HAVE the chair. It happens when only Person A’s things “have” the chair.

Oh really? Because back in post #36 of this thread you argued that if the person had the chair there was no justification for them to keep the chair if they got out of it...for any reason including: getting a drink from the bar, using the restroom, or retrieving their required medication. It seems to me that your position is more in line with "you have it, I want it, therefore you're hogging it".

And how often have you been at the pool deck prior to seven and waited there until after lunch to observe this happening?

Very often with pictures to prove it. Are you of the opinion that it doesn’t happen as described?

Embarrassingly enough my sister in law and husband were one of the couples doing so. And even after I explained to them why it was not cool they still couldn’t care less.

Again in yoru opinion. The difference being this is NOT a hotel lobby or an airport.

I realize you may be just trying to spin people up.. but what is your interpretation of ‘no reserving’ if putting a book or other personal item and leaving doesn’t count. What would count and be over the line in you opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well you did say “denigrate” and “labels” them a chair hog. It wasn’t a far jump for someone to think you were taking the side of the chair hog. Either way I was just asking valid questions.

Well, "chair hog" IS a label, so it IS labeling when a person uses the term. And if the purpose of calling them a "chair hog" is not to denigrate, then what is it? I'm not taking a side, I'm just pointing out the behavior and name-calling that results when two people decide they both want one thing. It sucks to be the 13th person when there is a dozen donuts, but the name-calling and labeling doesn't solve a thing.

JMHO, but if you incorrectly start off by saying I don't believe something exists (when I did no such thing), then any questions based on that false premise are hardly valid. Again, JMHO.

Ignore works great!

:lips-sealed:

Agreed - two of the posters on this thread are on my Ignore list and has made reading this forum so much more enjoyable. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, when someone quotes their comment it show up on my feed.

Well, "chair hog" IS a label, so it IS labeling when a person uses the term. And if the purpose of calling them a "chair hog" is not to denigrate, then what is it? I'm not taking a side, I'm just pointing out the behavior and name-calling that results when two people decide they both want one thing. It sucks to be the 13th person when there is a dozen donuts, but the name-calling and labeling doesn't solve a thing.

JMHO, but if you incorrectly start off by saying I don't believe something exists (when I did no such thing), then any questions based on that false premise are hardly valid. Again, JMHO.

The problem isn’t that someone wants what the other person has. The problem is that the “chair hog” is breaking the rules and not even using the chair. So the person that “wants” the chair should be entitled to it.

The problem isn’t that someone wants what the other person has. The problem is that the “chair hog” is breaking the rules and not even using the chair. So the person that “wants” the chair should be entitled to it.

First, that is exactly the problem. If nobody else wanted the chair, the person who had it would never be a chair hog.

Second, it isn't my place or purpose to decide who is and who isn't breaking the rules, nor is it yours. Perhaps we should stop the labeling and leave the rule enforcement to the people who have the right to enforce (or not) the rules.

Then we won't have to worry about who is "entitled".

First, that is exactly the problem. If nobody else wanted the chair, the person who had it would never be a chair hog.

Second, it isn't my place or purpose to decide who is and who isn't breaking the rules, nor is it yours. Perhaps we should stop the labeling and leave the rule enforcement to the people who have the right to enforce (or not) the rules.

Then we won't have to worry about who is "entitled".

I didn’t say I was the rule enforcer. Just telling it like it is from firsthand experience that chair hogs are a real problem. You seem to disagree.

Agreed - two of the posters on this thread are on my Ignore list and has made reading this forum so much more enjoyable. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, when someone quotes their comment it show up on my feed.

Simple solution, do not go into threads you do not want to read!

I realize you may be just trying to spin people up.. but what is your interpretation of ‘no reserving’ if putting a book or other personal item and leaving doesn’t count. What would count and be over the line in you opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Certainly not sitting in a chair and getting up to go to the bathroom as others have suggested.

I didn’t say I was the rule enforcer. Just telling it like it is from firsthand experience that chair hogs are a real problem. You seem to disagree.

I didn't say that you said you were the rule enforcer. (Did I?) I only said it wasn't my place, or yours, to enforce the rules...quite a different thing.

When I disagree, I'll say so. That way, it won't have to "seem".

Then line up and wait for the complainer to whine about nickles and dimes. Best solution, go to the OL and get a seat that is not taken and stop worrying about how others are enjoying their cruise!

I agree with you. From the looks of it the windows in the OL are huge. Does it really matter if you are sitting directly in front of them. I just don't get it.

I didn't say that you said you were the rule enforcer. (Did I?) I only said it wasn't my place, or yours, to enforce the rules...quite a different thing.

When I disagree, I'll say so. That way, it won't have to "seem".

And I was agreeing with you that neither of us are the rule enforcers. But that doesn’t mean that what the chair hogs are doing isn’t wrong. Nor will it stop me from pointing it out to a crew member if need be.

I think I have an idea. Lets use the Roll Call function and Meet and Greet to set up a "neighborhood chair watch" of sorts. We will find out real quick who has manners and who doesn't and have each other backs during the cruise.

We will invite NCL attendance to said Meet and Greet and ask for their support in enforcing their own Guest Policy.

Pick the items up off the chair....turn it in to lost and found. When they return angry you say...."Oh your items were left unattended, I turned them in to lost and found".

Taking anyone’s personal items is considered theft. Spending time in security would be a high price for a chair. Cameras everywhere. All they have to say is that there was a watch/iPad in the stuff you handled and that it has gone missing after you touched it. Don’t touch.