“Chair hogging” in Observation Lounge.

Maya1234

Taking anyone’s personal items is considered theft. Spending time in security would be a high price for a chair. Cameras everywhere. All they have to say is that there was a watch/iPad in the stuff you handled and that it has gone missing after you touched it. Don’t touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to disagree. Any item left unattended in a public space not meant for storing items can be picked up by anyone and taken to security or a lost and found. You are actually helping by protecting the item and giving it to the proper people. Most lost and found items in any place, not just cruise ships, are turned in by the general public. I have found many things in my life and turned it in and most cases get thanked for doing it.

Thief requires intent. So you can't use a blanket statement that it is illegal to touch or move someones item in a public place. If you accidentally dropped your wallet and another person picks it up and try to either contact you or the police who you say they stole your wallet?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I would have to disagree. Any item left unattended in a public space not meant for storing items can be picked up by anyone and taken to security or a lost and found. You are actually helping by protecting the item and giving it to the proper people. Most lost and found items in any place, not just cruise ships, are turned in by the general public. I have found many things in my life and turned it in and most cases get thanked for doing it.

There is a difference between "lost" and "intentionally placed there". :D

As for "theft", the act of taking the property without the owner's permission (even if the property is turned in to the Lost and Found) can be considered theft. If the owner is thankful that the item is returned, it is different than if the owner didn't want the item moved from where it was.

NCL does allow items to be left unattended in deck chairs for a specified amount of time. I haven't seen NCL's policy for Observation Chairs so maybe someone can post the dailies?

Try leaving a bag or something on a seat in an airport for more than a minute or two and see what happens. I have seen ATL, the world’s busiest airport, have to be evacuated because some inconsiderate person left a bag unattended. This resulted in thousands of people having their flights delayed and many more delayed system-wide as the delays cascade.

There is a difference between "lost" and "intentionally placed there". :D

As for "theft", the act of taking the property without the owner's permission (even if the property is turned in to the Lost and Found) can be considered theft. If the owner is thankful that the item is returned, it is different than if the owner didn't want the item moved from where it was.

NCL does allow items to be left unattended in deck chairs for a specified amount of time. I haven't seen NCL's policy for Observation Chairs so maybe someone can post the dailies?

No difference because you have no way of knowing someone left it there intentionally. Let's say they left a towel there. Went to the bar and started talking to someone. Got into a nice long chat. They decide to go off and do something else and the person completely forgot they left the towel. Now that space can not be used by anyone else.

To you comment that theft is Taking property. Again it requires intent to steal. Move something is not stealing especially you move it to a place of safety such as security or the police.

This could go Into a huge legal debate and I am not trying to do that. Just that saying something is theft or not with a blanket statement is bad. We can all disagree with how to handle chair hogs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

In order ro commit "theft" in every jurisdiction of which I am aware one must take the property of another with the intent to deprive the owner of it. Moving property out of your way ( to the ground) or to a lost and found would not come within the definition of theft.

I think a sign would be sufficient near the entrance that says that items left unattended will be collected and held.

Also that as a public shared space seating should not be reserved for extended periods of time for the courtesy of other guests.

I think a sign would be sufficient near the entrance that says that items left unattended will be collected and held.

Also that as a public shared space seating should not be reserved for extended periods of time for the courtesy of other guests.

I’m pretty sure that it does say something to that effect in the dailies. Something about an hour of unattended items on pool deck chairs/loungers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Therein lies the rub. What is in YOUR mind is not what matter. I do not need a 'excuse' to go to the bar, the bathroom, or to go up to my cabin to get my meds if I forgot them. Seeing as I am limited mobility and use a walker, it can easily take me more than your silly personal time limit to accomplish any task I may need to get done. NEVER move another person's belongings ever.

It's easy isn't it. The chair, although I think this thread refers more to the comfortable loungers, is fair game if someone isn't sat on it. The only exception in my book would be a .visit to the bathroom. If you needed to go to your cabin to pick up meds you forgot then that's tough. You have vacated the seat, it is now available for somebody else to utilise. The same applies to getting up and going for a bite to eat. On your return you will have to find a vacant seat. Should you want a drink then get a waiter to bring you one. I believe this should apply to sun loungers around the ship too. If you wish to reserve a prime sun lounger or seat in the observation area then you should pay for it. Maybe a lounger pass. As for moving a persons belongings, maybe they shouldn't leave then unattended.

It DOES state that items left unattended will be collected and sent to Guest Services if the items are there for 1 hour. Some people don't like the "1 hour" part so they arbitrarily decide to move items to seize a chair.

The person who finds an empty chair can use it. That person can walk to the bar, the buffet, the restroom, etc. and their items are not to be moved by anyone as long as the person is within NCL's rules. If people don't like NCL's 1 hour policy, they can find a cruise line that has a shorter limit or try to convince NCL to change the policy.

Other than what is stated in the dailies, is there anything specific for the Observation Lounge?

Edited by Two Wheels Only

It DOES state that items left unattended will be collected and sent to Guest Services if the items are there for 1 hour. Some people don't like the "1 hour" part so they arbitrarily decide to move items to seize a chair.

The person who finds an empty chair can use it. That person can walk to the bar, the buffet, the restroom, etc. and their items are not to be moved by anyone as long as the person is within NCL's rules. If people don't like NCL's 1 hour policy, they can find a cruise line that has a shorter limit or try to convince NCL to change the policy.

The text on the picture in post #2 only say that it's not allowed to reserve chairs, 1 hour isn't mentioned there. Isn't the 1 hour rule only for the chairs on the pooldeck?

It appears the one hour rule is onky at the pool. In the OL there does not appear to be any one hour rule. No reserving at all. This means nothing wrong with moving stuff that’s sitting there.

The dailies also state that reserving of pool loungers isn't allowed. "Reserving" and "Using" aren't considered the same thing. Walking to a bar for a drink isn't "reserving" while the person is gone.

Doesn't this mean that things left on a chair is "reserving"? On the pooldeck things can be on the chair for one hour. In the observation lounge there is no one hour limit so reserving a chair isn't allowed.

Doesn't this mean that things left on a chair is "reserving"? On the pooldeck things can be on the chair for one hour. In the observation lounge there is no one hour limit so reserving a chair isn't allowed.

"Reserving" isn't allowed in either location.

How NCL defines "reserving" seems to be where the confusion is. Everyone can agree that getting up at 4am and placing items on chairs that won't be used for hours is "reserving" (not allowed) but is walking to a bar for a drink also "reserving"?

I’m surprised by how many people think they live in a world where you can leave an item unattended and not have it stolen. Sorry, not the real world. It’s a bad habit to leave any item anywhere unattended. That’s why I don’t, not because I’m overly concerned with chair hogging (though I do think it’s selfish); but because I like my stuff and don’t want it to be taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Reserving" isn't allowed in either location.

How NCL defines "reserving" seems to be where the confusion is. Everyone can agree that getting up at 4am and placing items on chairs that won't be used for hours is "reserving" (not allowed) but is walking to a bar for a drink also "reserving"?

IMHO, if someone goes to the pool deck and sits in a lounger and decides to go get a drink or go to the buffet to bring some food back, that is not reserving, because the person is using the lounger. If someone goes to the pool deck, doesn't sit in a lounger and puts their stuff there knowing that they will not return for X length of time, that is reserving.

Ignore works great!

:lips-sealed:

I agree ignore it and hopefully it will go away. I wish people on this site would stop defending their beliefs and opinions to others on this site they don't know and who do not factor in their lives. How my feelings, my beliefs, and my opinions are mine. Yours are yours. When you start trying to make people see things the way you view them you get the "Blinking Eye". My life is too wonderful to let someone take me down their sad road of life.

I’m surprised by how many people think they live in a world where you can leave an item unattended and not have it stolen. Sorry, not the real world. It’s a bad habit to leave any item anywhere unattended. That’s why I don’t, not because I’m overly concerned with chair hogging (though I do think it’s selfish); but because I like my stuff and don’t want it to be taken.

I agree. I'm a NY'er so I know that things can/will get stolen. I never leave items on a chair (in case anyone thinks that I'm a chair hog or that I'm defending them).

I ALSO don't believe that people should just decide to move items "just because" the body isn't there. NCL allows people to leave items for a specified amount of time. The Observation Lounge is "new" so it's possible that NCL will decide that if a body isn't there, the chair is up for grabs (I don't believe that NCL will go that route).

I can't get past the image of guests camping out all day sleeping in this area like a bunch of homeless people. It is a lounge, not the pool or spa. It cheapens the area. No one talks about sleeping or holding couches in the Atrium with belongings (would not work), or Shakers, Maltings or any other lounge. Why is this any different other than it has a better view. Looks like a great area to sit for a little, talk with friends, get a drink, then move on to everything else the ship offers. Not listen to someone snoring loudly.

When did life become so muddled? The NFL is at a complete loss to define what constitutes catching a football. And we are equally in the dark deciding if a chair is occupied?

Is a person kneeling, sitting, standing, or lying prone on a piece of furniture? Then it is occupied. If they leave for a nanosecond for any of a billion possible reasons available in this universe then it is unoccupied.

I will throw your garbage on the floor every time. Didn’t pay my cruise fare so that your fanny pack can chill out. Take your garbage with you. Or take the chair with you if you are so attached. But know, the second you leave you fall to the back of the queue.

but is walking to a bar for a drink also "reserving"?

I don't know the answer to that question.

My opinion is that it's okay to go to the bar for a drink and that it's not okay to go to the cabin, and be away for some time, to get something. But that's just my opinion and may not be the same as NCLs rule about reserving seats.

I don't really care about people reserving chairs because if I want the view I can get it on my balcony or somewhere in the Haven.

When did life become so muddled? The NFL is at a complete loss to define what constitutes catching a football. And we are equally in the dark deciding if a chair is occupied?

As bad as the NFL is with their rules, it is their decision. The same is true with NCL and their rules.

If they leave for a nanosecond for any of a billion possible reasons available in this universe then it is unoccupied.
Not according to NCL's policy.

Their ship, their rules. According to the NFL, Calvin Johnson didnt catch that ball. We (the public) know that it was a catch and that the Lions should have won that game but it's still another Lions loss.

I can't get past the image of guests camping out all day sleeping in this area like a bunch of homeless people. It is a lounge, not the pool or spa. It cheapens the area. No one talks about sleeping or holding couches in the Atrium with belongings (would not work), or Shakers, Maltings or any other lounge. Why is this any different other than it has a better view. Looks like a great area to sit for a little, talk with friends, get a drink, then move on to everything else the ship offers. Not listen to someone snoring loudly.

Exactly. Yet I saw many people sleeping there every time I went.

The chaise style loungers are made to stretch out and relax. There are many of them for this reason.

The problem comes in when people do this on the sofas. The sofas are meant to be occupied by two or three people. Plus they are arranged in clusters with side chairs and coffee tables like you you’d have in a living room setup.

When one person is sleeping across a sofa it makes it awkward to go and sit in the other chairs in the cluster because you’d basically be sitting beside them staring at them. This is a problem.

Is a person kneeling, sitting, standing, or lying prone on a piece of furniture? Then it is occupied. If they leave for a nanosecond for any of a billion possible reasons available in this universe then it is unoccupied.

I will throw your garbage on the floor every time. Didn’t pay my cruise fare so that your fanny pack can chill out. Take your garbage with you. Or take the chair with you if you are so attached. But know, the second you leave you fall to the back of the queue.

That is certainly an interesting position.

If you were eating dinner (or lunch, or breakfast) at the buffet and you stood up (for a nanosecond) to get seconds, a drink, dessert, etc and someone walked over to your table, removed all of your stuff, and sat themselves down in your seat, I'm wondering if your feelings on the matter might change.