“Chair hogging” in Observation Lounge.

Maya1234

I had someone do that to me once by the pool. I was IN the pool.

Happened to me as well, and when I said something I was told "you can't hold chairs". OMG! Why not go after the TRUE chairhogs with the multi-hour untouched chairs?!

If NCL had 6 people assigned to police chairs each making $100/day each(for sake of easy number) and the ship is basically booked, then each paying passenger on the ship would have to pay about $1 more in cruise fare. Now I'm sure there is more overhead for the employees like meals etc....debate away....your cruise fare increases by $2 or $3? Would you pay it to have them deal with chair hogs in the OL?

If yo have ever been on a European train you know the conductor is coming down the isle sooner or later to check your ticket....its uncanny how attuned they become to the seats and passengers. No doubt they would easily pick up on abuse of the chairs as they go.

When you walk up to a section of seats (a sofa and multiple side chairs and they say “no, these are taken.” There may be hats or jackets on the seats.

And you see that nobody ever comes by to sit there.

Ah, I see. Kind of like people do in the theater. Well, that is already addressed in the photo posted above from the Freestyle Daily. I would remind them that it's not permitted to save seats, and I'd sit right down. I've done that in the theater, too.

We were on the transatlantic, in 12 days, 9 of which were sea days we only ever got a seat by the buffet or at the bar ( not a bad thing ). People were camped out all day, sleeping on the chairs and sofas. People put pool towels down to reserve chairs. The ship was only half full.

I can imagine on an Alaskan cruise it would be worse with everyone vying for the best seats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"there's always a chairhog somewhere...."

can't believe NCL doesn't do something about people sleeping on a sofa if they take up the entire sofa. Hopefully pax complain or if get feedback form they say something about it.

Yes I am on the Bliss now and there ARE some chair hogs in my opinion. Certain people laying across entire sofas with their legs up. People sitting in one chair and holding an entire section while the rest of their family has gone shopping/game show/go karting/laser tag/spa/etc.

Each time I’ve been there have been many people just lying down on a lounger or sofa and sleeping for hours at a time. In my opinion if you are going there to sleep why not go back to your cabin? The observation deck is for OBSERVING. It’s not called the nappping deck!

For a single traveler finding one empty seat is probably never an issue but for parties of two or more it will be tough to find seating together during the busier times.

Despite all of this I still think that the observation lounge is a fantastic feature on the Bliss and I’m really glad that NCL chose to design the ship with this space in mind. I just wish that some of the fellow passengers were more courteous.

And exactly how do you know where the rest of the group is?

To me... If I get up to get something from my cabin then my space should be open. Even as simple as going to the bathroom I have left the space and it is open to who needs it. There is only one exception I would expect is if I was sitting with my wife/family and I left(they stay) for maybe 10-15 mins tops. And that is just so we can stay seated together

That's just me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Thank god the 'to me' rule is not in effect.

All that NCL needs to do is put up a sign that says that belongings may not be left unattended on chairs/couches and that guests are free to move them to under the chair if they see unattended items there. They can then pick up anything under the chairs and put in lost and found.

This won’t work at the pool because there is a legitimate need to leave things on chairs in order to use the pool . Not so in the OL. There is no justification for leaving things on a chair any more than you would in a hotel lobby.

A sign like that would have people do what they do at a hotel lobby or in an airport. You get up, you take all your stuff with you.

All that NCL needs to do is put up a sign that says that belongings may not be left unattended on chairs/couches and that guests are free to move them to under the chair if they see unattended items there. They can then pick up anything under the chairs and put in lost and found.

This won’t work at the pool because there is a legitimate need to leave things on chairs in order to use the pool . Not so in the OL. There is no justification for leaving things on a chair any more than you would in a hotel lobby.

A sign like that would have people do what they do at a hotel lobby or in an airport. You get up, you take all your stuff with you.

Really?

What if the person got out of the chair to walk over to the bar to get a drink? Would that be a justification for leaving things on the chair? What is the line was long and/or the service was slow...how long might the be allowed to be gone?

What if the person had to use the restroom? Especially if the one they needed to use was being cleaned and they had to find another. Would that be a justification for leaving things on the chair?

What if the person realized that they left their medication in their stateroom and they needed to go get it (possibly half a dozen decks and 3/4 of the ship away)? Would that be a justification for leaving things on the chair?

Really?

What if the person got out of the chair to walk over to the bar to get a drink? Would that be a justification for leaving things on the chair? What is the line was long and/or the service was slow...how long might the be allowed to be gone?

What if the person had to use the restroom? Especially if the one they needed to use was being cleaned and they had to find another. Would that be a justification for leaving things on the chair?

What if the person realized that they left their medication in their stateroom and they needed to go get it (possibly half a dozen decks and 3/4 of the ship away)? Would that be a justification for leaving things on the chair?

Nope. Just like at the airport or at a hotel lobby if you use the restroom or go to your room or go to the lobby bar you take your things. You find a new seat thereafter.

• Like 1

This conversation reminds me of the infamous “Chalk Circle Lady” at Disney World. This woman drew a big circle on the curb on Main Street one time about an hour before a parade. People there said it was at least 15 - 20 feet long. Every time someone tried to sit down in that area, she freaked out and started screaming and cussing that that was her family’s spot for the parade and no one could sit there. Someone finally called security after she physically pushed a small child who had sat down on her chalk line. She was thrown out of the park. People who stayed said four people showed up just as the parade was starting looking for her.

Some people are just a little too possessive! :')

This conversation reminds me of the infamous “Chalk Circle Lady” at Disney World. This woman drew a big circle on the curb on Main Street one time about an hour before a parade. People there said it was at least 15 - 20 feet long. Every time someone tried to sit down in that area, she freaked out and started screaming and cussing that that was her family’s spot for the parade and no one could sit there. Someone finally called security after she physically pushed a small child who had sat down on her chalk line. She was thrown out of the park. People who stayed said four people showed up just as the parade was starting looking for her.

Some people are just a little too possessive! :')

LOL...love that story!

The "they" being an NCL crew members.

In your opinion.

Nope. Just like at the airport or at a hotel lobby if you use the restroom or go to your room or go to the lobby bar you take your things. You find a new seat thereafter.

Again in yoru opinion. The difference being this is NOT a hotel lobby or an airport.

This is exactly correct. Use it or loose it. Simple.

So I was on the Bliss for the Panama Canal. I know all about the Observation Lounge and the issues.

So let me say this about folks who get up and walk away for a few minutes

1) folks get up to get food at the various stations or visit the bar and yes they leave things at their chair - no problem I say

2) folks go to the bathroom which is a 1 minute walk to the back. - no problem I say

3) folks during lunch and or breakfast get a spot and walk up to the Buffet to get food and bring down. - I say okay if really crowded and give them a break. Most folks I saw eating did so and then left.

What I hate to see is:

1)folks who sleep for several hours. They should be awakened after 20 minutes and told go back to room. I had to move because a guy was snoring very loudly.

2) A group come in and take seats and then talk and laugh loudly for more than 30 minutes. They should be at the bar. IT STATES IN THE DAILY, that the Observation Lounge is a quiet zone so quick chatting only.

3) folks who leave a mess and do not clean up after they have eaten.

As far as the very front seats, gets rather chilly and can be boring if at sea. You can do just as well on the sides or in the off hours at the buffet. BTW the loungers are not that comfortable either. Trust me the back does not recline and the velvet fabric makes it hard to get settled. And a lot of the chairs are very heavy and hard to move towards the window. I found the Observation Lounge annoying at times and went to the waterfront more often.

So the idea of hogging is hard to determine unless you spend the time to watch and wait. Most people if they see someone has a book or shoes at a chair or lounger will most likely assume they will be right back and not get huffy or demanding. Most folks were nice. One can always say to the person nearby "please watch my chair as I will be right back".