“Chair hogging” in Observation Lounge.

Maya1234

To me... If I get up to get something from my cabin then my space should be open. Even as simple as going to the bathroom I have left the space and it is open to who needs it. There is only one exception I would expect is if I was sitting with my wife/family and I left(they stay) for maybe 10-15 mins tops. And that is just so we can stay seated together

That's just me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I agree with you on this.

Well I have mentioned this before but I would like to mention it again. Who is responsible for the chair hogs? I think it is the cruiseline. Not putting in enough of a pool area for that many people or chairs in an atrium or a theatre. They might have to sacrifice some space that could be used for cabins but think of how happier people would be if they didn't feel the anxiety of whether their hard earned vacation money would be wasted because they couldn't use the facilities. This leads to "hoarding" behavior. On the other hand there are people who are over the top in being selfish. I saw someone save a whole row of theatre seats in front (maybe not a whole row but it was at least 10) saying that the comedian that was going to perform told him to save them!!! And guess what NOBODY showed up to sit in those seats.

There are 10 ships, all built before the Epic, in NCL's current fleet that either have, or have had, an observation lounge.

Yet, for some reason, observation lounge chair hogs & couch sleepers haven't been an issue...until now.

Stands to reason that most people who have posted on the topic haven't even been on the Bliss yet...so why all this flailing and hand-wringing over seats in the observation lounge?

If this space does nothing other than provide a platform for arguing over who get what chair or being a place to sleep all day, it won't be long until someone at NCL says "Boy, do you realize how much more money we could make by converting this space to suites?"

There are 10 ships, all built before the Epic, in NCL's current fleet that either have, or have had, an observation lounge.

Yet, for some reason, observation lounge chair hogs & couch sleepers haven't been an issue...until now.

Stands to reason that most people who have posted on the topic haven't even been on the Bliss yet...so why all this flailing and hand-wringing over seats in the observation lounge?

If this space does nothing other than provide a platform for arguing over who get what chair or being a place to sleep all day, it won't be long until someone at NCL says "Boy, do you realize how much more money we could make by converting this space to suites?"

Good point. People getting worked up over a possible non-issue. Chair hogs will continue to bend the rules to suit themselves. The rest of can gently place abandoned items next to chairs that have been unoccupied for an hour. This is not theft. If you don't want items touched, don't leave them laying around for an hour or more...;p;)

So I was on the Bliss for the Panama Canal. I know all about the Observation Lounge and the issues.

So let me say this about folks who get up and walk away for a few minutes

1) folks get up to get food at the various stations or visit the bar and yes they leave things at their chair - no problem I say

2) folks go to the bathroom which is a 1 minute walk to the back. - no problem I say

3) folks during lunch and or breakfast get a spot and walk up to the Buffet to get food and bring down. - I say okay if really crowded and give them a break. Most folks I saw eating did so and then left.

What I hate to see is:

1)folks who sleep for several hours. They should be awakened after 20 minutes and told go back to room. I had to move because a guy was snoring very loudly.

2) A group come in and take seats and then talk and laugh loudly for more than 30 minutes. They should be at the bar. IT STATES IN THE DAILY, that the Observation Lounge is a quiet zone so quick chatting only.

3) folks who leave a mess and do not clean up after they have eaten.

As far as the very front seats, gets rather chilly and can be boring if at sea. You can do just as well on the sides or in the off hours at the buffet. BTW the loungers are not that comfortable either. Trust me the back does not recline and the velvet fabric makes it hard to get settled. And a lot of the chairs are very heavy and hard to move towards the window. I found the Observation Lounge annoying at times and went to the waterfront more often.

So the idea of hogging is hard to determine unless you spend the time to watch and wait. Most people if they see someone has a book or shoes at a chair or lounger will most likely assume they will be right back and not get huffy or demanding. Most folks were nice. One can always say to the person nearby "please watch my chair as I will be right back".

We were, also, on the Panama Canal Cruise. There should be a 1 hour time limit to those chairs in the Observation Lounge. That would make it fair for all. Why should someone be allowed to hog a chair and a great view indefinitely !

This ci omment is ridiculous - if I find something belonging to somebody else that looks like it's been left behind I will hand it in - it's just the right thing to do - leaving it there makes it vulnerable to be stolen.

This is a ridiculous comment. And you know it. We are Talking about people leaving personal items on a chair to hold it. Not the Rolex on the ground. Do not touch anyone’s personal property.

The behavior of chair hoarding is not unique to cruise ships. I have stayed at hotels all over the country as well as in the Caribbean and Middle East and see the same thing happen there.

One type is the ones mentioned here that leave towels or items on loungers unattended while they go eat dinner, take a walk down the beach, etc. They get bent out of shape no matter who moves their stuff, even if it is the hotel staff.

The other type are people who are just plain lazy. They leave used towels laid out on pool loungers when they leave for the day instead of depositing them in the used towel hamper that is usually a few feet away. This was a constant issue at the theme park hotels in Orlando and I always felt bad for the staff who had to figure out who was still there and who had left.

People need to relearn common courtesy.

Well I have mentioned this before but I would like to mention it again. Who is responsible for the chair hogs? I think it is the cruiseline. Not putting in enough of a pool area for that many people or chairs in an atrium or a theatre. They might have to sacrifice some space that could be used for cabins but think of how happier people would be if they didn't feel the anxiety of whether their hard earned vacation money would be wasted because they couldn't use the facilities. This leads to "hoarding" behavior. On the other hand there are people who are over the top in being selfish. I saw someone save a whole row of theatre seats in front (maybe not a whole row but it was at least 10) saying that the comedian that was going to perform told him to save them!!! And guess what NOBODY showed up to sit in those seats.

On our last cruise we sat down in the theatre next to 2 seats which had hand written “reserved” signs (copy paper) on them. A few minutes before the show a disheveled couple ran in and sat down, the man sheepishly shoving the papers in his pocket. Neat trick if you’re cheeky enough

Good point. People getting worked up over a possible non-issue.

As someone who was on the Bliss and spent time in the OL, I agree based on my observations. However, others who were also there had different observations. And we've seen pictures from the TA of classic chair hogging (towels on the loungers). So, I don't think it's accurate to call it a non-issue.

This is a ridiculous comment. And you know it. We are Talking about people leaving personal items on a chair to hold it. Not the Rolex on the ground. Do not touch anyone’s personal property.

And that is a ridiculous comment and you know it. For some items, there is no way to distinguish between forgotten/lost and intentionally left behind. If it looks lost, do the right thing which is to turn it in so it doesn't get stolen.

I'm not generally one to feel I absolutely must sit up against an observation window, by the edge of a pool, or up front in a theater, etc... I sit where there's a seat available. Though I may not be in the area, seat or lounger I'd prefer, I roll with the punches. I know folks get up to go to the bathroom, the pool, the bar, or wherever. No big deal. BUT, if an hour or so goes by and I realize that there are seats in the area I'd prefer, and that book/magazine/towel is still sitting there, the owner has clearly not returned, I just shrug, grab their crap, give it to a nearby crew member, explain it was left behind. If the owner comes back (and they generally do, an hour or two or MORE later), I tell them their things are with crew. If they raise a stink (they very rarely do), I just smile, shrug and ignore their entitled ass. If they are so rude as to leave their things unattended for such a long time, then I have no qualms being rude and moving their things.

I'm not generally one to feel I absolutely must sit up against an observation window, by the edge of a pool, or up front in a theater, etc... I sit where there's a seat available. Though I may not be in the area, seat or lounger I'd prefer, I roll with the punches. I know folks get up to go to the bathroom, the pool, the bar, or wherever. No big deal. BUT, if an hour or so goes by and I realize that there are seats in the area I'd prefer, and that book/magazine/towel is still sitting there, the owner has clearly not returned, I just shrug, grab their crap, give it to a nearby crew member, explain it was left behind. If the owner comes back (and they generally do, an hour or two or MORE later), I tell them their things are with crew. If they raise a stink (they very rarely do), I just smile, shrug and ignore their entitled ass.

If they are so rude as to leave their things unattended for such a long time,

then I have no qualms being rude and moving their things.

WE were on the Inaugural TransAtlanic and enjoyed early morning coffee, with view.

The Observation Lounge was very attractive, however, found the music played put pax to sleep.:)

We observed one woman who seemed to sleep there, on a lounger, all day.

(thought, maybe she was homeless)

Several years ago I was with a group of students on a bus tour of England and France. Two women on the tour refused to do the routine of switching seats after the different stops. They wanted the front seats on the top deck of the bus and would not let anyone else switch for any period of time. It got to the point where they refused to leave the bus to visit the actual monuments ( Stonehenge, Notre Dame, etc.) because they did not want to lose their precious seats. We all wondered why they wanted to travel. As it happened, one of them fell and broke her ankle the last evening and sure enough the next day, her friend was trying to run us all down pushing that wheelchair through the airport since she had to be first. I have always hoped that she had a window seat on that plane!

Several years ago I was with a group of students on a bus tour of England and France.

Two women on the tour refused to do the routine of switching seats after the different stops.

They wanted the front seats on the top deck of the bus and would not let anyone else switch for any period of time.

It got to the point where they refused to leave the bus to visit the actual monuments ( Stonehenge, Notre Dame, etc.) because they did not want to lose their precious seats. We all wondered why they wanted to travel.

As it happened, one of them fell and broke her ankle the last evening and sure enough the next day, her friend was trying to run us all down pushing that wheelchair through the airport since she had to be first.

I have always hoped that she had a window seat on that plane!

Nice Post!

We have been in this situation.

If you are a new traveler, consider appeasing to those seaming to be near death.

and, also consider my sarcasm.

Michael

Edited by $hip$hape

Oh my...

"Maniacal Cruisers" Eyeball is making me twitch way too much....

Gonna have to skip over all of those posts and hopefully regain good info. LOL!

Ha ha haaaaaaa!!!! :') I was just thinking the same thing... clearly "Maniacal Cruiser" is a chair hog offender. Bwahahahaaaaaa!!!! :') :') :')

Several years ago I was with a group of students on a bus tour of England and France. Two women on the tour refused to do the routine of switching seats after the different stops. They wanted the front seats on the top deck of the bus and would not let anyone else switch for any period of time. It got to the point where they refused to leave the bus to visit the actual monuments ( Stonehenge, Notre Dame, etc.) because they did not want to lose their precious seats. We all wondered why they wanted to travel. As it happened, one of them fell and broke her ankle the last evening and sure enough the next day, her friend was trying to run us all down pushing that wheelchair through the airport since she had to be first. I have always hoped that she had a window seat on that plane!

We've taken a couple of Gate1 Tours. They make it their rule for everybody to rotate up to the front in order 2 rows everyday. That way everybody gets a chance to sit in the front at least once. It made everybody happy and that way a couple couldn't hog those seats for the whole Tour !

WE were on the Inaugural TransAtlanic and enjoyed early morning coffee, with view.

The Observation Lounge was very attractive, however, found the music played put pax to sleep.:)

We observed one woman who seemed to sleep there, on a lounger, all day.

(thought, maybe she was homeless)

Hopefully that wasn’t me, although I was at the bar most of the time.

In all honesty we never sat on the loungers in there they were too far away from the martinis for me.

I’d forgotten about the music, even the bar staff thought it sent people to sleep.

Fiona.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In all honesty we never sat on the loungers in there they were too far away from the martinis for me.

I’d forgotten about the music, even the bar staff thought it sent people to sleep.

Fiona.

Oh no! Fiona( and Alan), it was not you. Catherine has some pics of you two, and has just sent a friends request.

Fiona.

Hi Fiona - how are you and Alan?

enhanceCatherine