Can they do this? Room assignment question

Laurie7724

I am trying to book a cabin on lido deck for 2 people. It only gives me an option for rooms that can sleep 4 (a king, a sleeper sofa and a pull down. There are no cabins on this floor in this section that sleep less then 3. I have no problem booking this room but have heard if the room was needed for a bigger party they could change you to a different room on a different floor against your will? Is this true? Can they really do this?

I am trying to book a cabin on lido deck for 2 people. It only gives me an option for rooms that can sleep 4 (a king, a sleeper sofa and a pull down. There are no cabins on this floor in this section that sleep less then 3. I have no problem booking this room but have heard if the room was needed for a bigger party they could change you to a different room on a different floor against your will? Is this true? Can they really do this?

Try calling a HAL booking agent direct. They can usually override some of the constraints of the online reservations system and you have a better chance that you won’t get moved later. Especially if you tell them you don’t want to accept any upgrades. We usually have several specific cabin options ready when we call. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Try calling a HAL booking agent direct. They can usually override some of the constraints of the online reservations system and you have a better chance that you won’t get moved later. Especially if you tell them you don’t want to accept any upgrades. We usually have several specific cabin options ready when we call. Good luck!

Just curious - why would they contact a HAL booking agent? Thought this was a Carnival board :D

Yes, they absolutely can change your cabin. The chances of it happening are slim but yes, they can.

Everyone just calm down and take your meds. 2 can be in a cabin that will accommodate 4 with no problem. You still just pay for 2 and might have a few more square feet.

You can book a room sleeping 4 for two people. I have booked a room that sleeps 4 by myself. The cruise can be capacity controlled so they do have the option of moving you. Never has happened to me by myslef but they have the option. Book the room and take a chance

Everyone just calm down and take your meds. 2 can be in a cabin that will accommodate 4 with no problem. You still just pay for 2 and might have a few more square feet.

Depends on the ship and time of year. There are many times where cabins are pax controlled and you MUST put the right number of people in the cabin.

Sorry but I don't do drugs so no meds for me. :rolleyes:

We have a group on the 2/3/19 sailing of the Dream. At this point, people who are booking cat. 8B cabins are being OFFERED cabins that will accommodate 3/4 passengers. The key word is that Carnival is offering those cabins as an option. If Carnival offers those cabins, than obviously they feel they do not have the need for extra capacity cabins. I will add that they COULD ask you to move, however, the risk is very small and if they did try I would fight it stating that THEY were the ones who offered the cabin to begin with.

The OP isn't hype asking the question, which is a legitimate one. There will be no extra square feet as a room for 4 versus one for 2 in the same category is the same size.

Depending on the sail date, Carnival probably just relaxed the occupancy requirements. They do that sometimes when the sail date gets closer. Even if it's far out, if they are allowing you to book the room with 2 people then I wouldn't worry. I upgraded a room for someone in my family that is for 4 people. I did a search just as always for 2 and the room showed available. So I called and had them moved. And on the Sunshine we a few years ago, were able to move to a quad oceanview even though there was just 2 of us in the cabin.

Let me put it this way if you are self booking direct at the Carnival website with no travel profession or Carnival customer service rep overriding the lockouts due to insufficient occupancy then you are allowed to book the cabin.

In that case, IF Carnival needs that cabin for a family/group that fills the occupancy, then they have to offer you the same cabin category or an upgrade, they can not just move you without without your permission once they accept a selected cabin booking.

The only times that Carnival will remove the booked cabin without consulting you first is if something happens making the cabin uninhabitable. Then as above they should put you a equal or better cabin, but if none are available they will call or email with an offer to negotiate sufficient compensation for your displacement.

Let me put it this way if you are self booking direct at the Carnival website with no travel profession or Carnival customer service rep overriding the lockouts due to insufficient occupancy then you are allowed to book the cabin.

In that case, IF Carnival needs that cabin for a family/group that fills the occupancy, then they have to offer you the same cabin category or an upgrade, they can not just move you without without your permission once they accept a selected cabin booking.

The only times that Carnival will remove the booked cabin without consulting you first is if something happens making the cabin uninhabitable. Then as above they should put you a equal or better cabin, but if none are available they will call or email with an offer to negotiate sufficient compensation for your displacement.

Yes they can. Period. You are correct, it has to be in the same category or higher but they can move you whether you like it or not if they want to.

We are in this very situation. My wife and I booked an oceanview cabin which can hold 3 so we could be near friends with whom we are sailing. The cruise line representative explicitly told us that she would do the assignment but that if Carnival needs an oceanview cabin for 3, we could be moved to another oceanview cabin for two. She said it would be unlikely but just wanted us to be prepared.

I don't know how often they actually move people. They booked us in a handicap once when we booked a guarantee and even then said they might move us if need be. Of course, we were fine with that, but we were never moved & I loved the cabin because the bathroom was so large & no step up into it. It did have less closet space, though.

Just curious - why would they contact a HAL booking agent? Thought this was a Carnival board :D

LOL. Could be because I know HAL is a superior line to Carnival! Or, perhaps, I just made an error in thinking I was on a Holland America thread. [emoji12] Lighten up people, we’re talking about cruising here!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL. Could be because I know HAL is a superior line to Carnival! Or, perhaps, I just made an error in thinking I was on a Holland America thread. [emoji12] Lighten up people, we’re talking about cruising here!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you should lighten up. I chalked it up as a mistake and no big deal - not worth commenting on. The fact that you felt the need to come back a day later and throw in a jab about Carnival vs. Holland shows me you're way more uptight than the rest of us.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I think you should lighten up. I chalked it up as a mistake and no big deal - not worth commenting on. The fact that you felt the need to come back a day later and throw in a jab about Carnival vs. Holland shows me you're way more uptight than the rest of us.

Concur. There are many ways that Carnival does a better job in the cruise department than HAL.

I had the opposite situation recently. My sister & I booked a lido balcony cabin on the Glory for October. After booking, my daughter (who worked with the Entertainment Dept. on the Glory 2 years ago), thought she may be able to go with us. When I went back and looked, I realized the cabin had a 2 person maximum occupancy.

It all worked out - my daughter wasn't able to get the time off work - but, I did wonder whether they would ever allow a third person in the cabin if they weren't at maximum occupancy as the time of departure approached. Has anyone ever had to add someone and were allowed to do so in a "2 person" cabin?

We have a group on the 2/3/19 sailing of the Dream. At this point, people who are booking cat. 8B cabins are being OFFERED cabins that will accommodate 3/4 passengers. The key word is that Carnival is offering those cabins as an option. If Carnival offers those cabins, than obviously they feel they do not have the need for extra capacity cabins. I will add that they COULD ask you to move, however, the risk is very small and if they did try I would fight it stating that THEY were the ones who offered the cabin to begin with.

this is in the contract you agree to when you book carnival

Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which a stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate

this is in the contract you agree to when you book carnival

I realize what is in the contract and there are different scenarios to consider:

1. If Carnival berths you in a cabin that holds more passengers than you need and TELLS you up front that you may be moved, than you may be moved.

2. If Carnival ALLOWS you to book a cabin with more occupancy than required, without warning you, than it is on Carnival. I have recently berthed several couples in triple cabins for our group cruise, as that is what Carnival offered knowing full well that they were only a double. Many times there is an occupancy restriction and you would NEVER find a triple cabin offered to 2 people, this is not one of those cases.

IF Carnival decides to try to move any of the passengers in the future, you can bet I will be looking for a substantially better cabin than they are currently in (which in this case would be a JS or OS).

I realize what is in the contract and there are different scenarios to consider:

1. If Carnival berths you in a cabin that holds more passengers than you need and TELLS you up front that you may be moved, than you may be moved.

2. If Carnival ALLOWS you to book a cabin with more occupancy than required, without warning you, than it is on Carnival. I have recently berthed several couples in triple cabins for our group cruise, as that is what Carnival offered knowing full well that they were only a double. Many times there is an occupancy restriction and you would NEVER find a triple cabin offered to 2 people, this is not one of those cases.

IF Carnival decides to try to move any of the passengers in the future, you can bet I will be looking for a substantially better cabin than they are currently in (which in this case would be a JS or OS).

the warning is in the contract... book a cruise with them and you agree to the contract and if you read it, you would have been warned regardless of anything else. The contract supersedes anything since , by booking your cruise, you agree to it.

They can and have changed people without their permission because of things like how many people in the cabin. they don't have to provide any more detail than the contract you agree to and usually don't.

You guys are too funny! I didn’t intend any offense, but I appear to have gotten a few “panties in a bunch”! Sorry about that. Enjoy your Carnival cruises!