Can I step off the ship on embarkation day?

CineGraphic

We'll be in Port Everglades, embarking on January 6th, for our first HAL cruise, and I just learned that the Crown Princess will also be in port that day. We have a friend who's an officer on the Crown, and we'd love to meet her in port. We could meet her before boarding, but that means schlepping our luggage with us, so I'm hoping that we can check-in, board, and then disembark for a brief visit.

We'll be in Port Everglades, embarking on January 6th, for our first HAL cruise, and I just learned that the Crown Princess will also be in port that day. We have a friend who's an officer on the Crown, and we'd love to meet her in port. We could meet her before boarding, but that means schlepping our luggage with us, so I'm hoping that we can check-in, board, and then disembark for a brief visit.

No problem. Just be back before the muster drill time (usually half hour before sail away time) and realize there may be lines to through security to get back on the ship. Particularly if the embarkation hall is sharing services with another ship.

However, with this huge caution: The Fort Lauderdale port is very sprawling so getting to the Princess dock from the HAL dock may not be easy. See if you can find out where the Princess dock is located first to see how you can manage the logistics as they can be miles apart. It is a fun idea and I hope it works out.

I took a hotel shuttle once to get to the ship and it stopped at all the various cruise line docks and it took over 2 hours to finally get to the HAL Veendam dock. I believe the stop for Princess was early in the route so these two lines did not have docking even remotely close on that day. Keeping in mind travel by shuttle between these various cruise ship docks is laboriously slow because everyone has to get their luggage off loaded at each stop. So the two hour transit is for the shuttle only, used as an example of how far apart these various cruise line docks can be at Fort Lauderdale.

I think the lines tend to use the same dock areas. Taxis will obviously get you there faster, but will they be available or not to get you from dock to dock, that you need to determine upfront.

As an officer, your friend may be able to learn in advance what dock each ship will be using Look at a port map and determine how far apart Then ghe both of you can make your plans If TO MEET AND HOW.

... as they can be miles apart.
If the Princess ship is at one of their usual North Port piers (1, 2, 4) and the HAL ship is at one of their usual MidPort piers (19, 21, 26) it's about a 1.5 mile walk. Edited by catl331

If you take a taxi to the appropriate pier and you elect to leave you bags with the porters, then you can get back into the taxi (with your wine carry on - you'll be in the cab, it won't be a big issue) and then shuttle over to the other ship.

There are lots of taxis at the piers, when you are done visiting, then grab a cab that someone just got out of and go back to where you want/need to be. Your wine will have traveled with you and you will probably be able to board easily due to the early birds who must get one the ship before noon.

Jim

As an officer, your friend may be able to learn in advance what dock each ship will be using Look at a port map and determine how far apart Then ghe both of you can make your plans If TO MEET AND HOW.

No need for inside knowledge, Port Everglades has an app for iphones with that info.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cruiseschedule-port-everglades/id574333907?mt=8

...Or forget about lugging wine with you. The ship has lots of wine :)

I used to sell wine wholesale in Palm Beach in the 80s, I'm picky, and I'd much rather buy my champagne on land for $140 a bottle, instead of paying $340 on board.

I think we'll check in & board early, and then visit our friend. Princess does allow passengers to bring guests on board (Bon Voyage Experience), so I'm hoping that officers can do the same thing. I'll text her to find out.