Chile to LA which ship?

bsg_19

So the Royal and Star have identical itineraries repositioning back to LA from South America. They both leave within one week of each other in early and mid March and both are comparable in price. Which ship will be more “fun” for active couple in their 50’s?

Are deluxe balconies worth the xtra $$?

So the Royal and Star have identical itineraries repositioning back to LA from South America. They both leave within one week of each other in early and mid March and both are comparable in price. Which ship will be more “fun” for active couple in their 50’s?

I’ve sailed both of them several times & it’d be an easy decision for my cruise...Royal.

Several years ago we sailed the Golden from Buenos Aires which is basically the same ship as the Star.

For us the Royal-class ships have many more pros than cons even though their standard balcony cabins are about 20% smaller than on most other Princess ships. It works okay for us and even enjoyed a couple of Ultimate Balcony Dinners there.

We enjoyed the deluxe balcony’s loveseat size couch to watch the scenery from inside our cabin when the weather wasn’t conducive to being outside.

Can't answer Deluxe Balcony, but have you looked at the two threads for the cruises to see which one is more active? That could be one indicator.

We did the Star Princess Buenos Aires to LA in 2016 and had a great time. Many in our group from CC were fifties or early sixties.

I’ve sailed both of them several times & it’d be an easy decision for my cruise...Royal.

Several years ago we sailed the Golden from Buenos Aires which is basically the same ship as the Star.

For us the Royal-class ships have many more pros than cons even though their standard balcony cabins are about 20% smaller than on most other Princess ships. It works okay for us and even enjoyed a couple of Ultimate Balcony Dinners there.

We enjoyed the deluxe balcony’s loveseat size couch to watch the scenery from inside our cabin when the weather wasn’t conducive to being outside.

You have that tracker on again don't you!!:confused:

We really enjoy the Royal. Have sailed on her 3 times. For some itineraries her size might be an issue but I think I would prefer her on this one. Lots of space and activity in the Atrium. A much better buffet set up and Alfredo’s as an alternate extra dining venue.

Royal by a mile.

I would go with Royal as there is more to do IMO. The deluxe cabin is very much worth it as you get a bigger cabin and a small love seat not available on balcony cabins in any other class of ships. The mini's of course have the extra sofa bed, tub instead of shower and larger bathroom but they are considerably more.

Personally I enjoy all the lounges and venues on the older Grand Class ships. I also enjoy the larger balconies. Whichever ship you select be prepared for a longer disembarkation process in L.A. Our experience is that there is a more intense inspection when the ship arrives from South America.

I was on the Emerald for the South America cruise in March and the disembark in LA was very tedious, many passengers (incl. myself) missed flights. I'm wondering if they will look at their process for next season.

In spite of this, I would still choose the Royal. I'm not a fan of Princess Live instead of the Explorer Lounge but the addition of Alfredo's is a huge plus for me.

I would choose the Royal for several reasons. I like the bigger, better buffet, and I like having a full-service Alfredo's included.

But I think I'd also favor it for its stability. The sail north along the Pacific Coast is often pretty bouncy, and the larger Royal would probably smooth things out.

Jim

I was on the Emerald for the South America cruise in March and the disembark in LA was very tedious, many passengers (incl. myself) missed flights. I'm wondering if they will look at their process for next season.

In spite of this, I would still choose the Royal. I'm not a fan of Princess Live instead of the Explorer Lounge but the addition of Alfredo's is a huge plus for me.

This is not something that is under Princess' control. When the ship returns from a season in South America Customs and Immigration take a more detailed look at the passengers, crew and luggage. I have also seen a crew of Coast Guard inspectors come on board for a more intense inspection. The process takes more time, and slows disembarkation. Often boarding of new passengers is delayed until mid-afternoon. Disembarked passengers should not book early flights as they are often missed. I have seen early walk offs still on board at 10am. There is really very little Princess can do to speed the process.

I've been on both ships quite a few times each and would book the Royal Princess. I did this itinerary a few years ago on the Star and loved the cruise. It was fabulous.

As said, make sure you are prepared for significant (by hours) delay in disembarking any ship from South America. When we arrived in SF on the Star, I had a 9am disembarkation time with a transfer to SFO for a 12:30pm flight. My color was called at 9am but then we spent over two hours standing on the last stairway to deck 4 to disembark. Couldn't go up or down. We could hear the dogs barking outside as every passenger and every piece of luggage and carry-on was inspected. I missed my flight but managed to get on the next one. What a mess. Same thing happened with the Emerald a couple of months ago when she repositioned from South America to LA. Major delays. Princess has no control over this.

Thanks for all your insights especially the LA disembark!

As slow as the CBP process was for Americans in LA(and probably other ports) it’s even worse for non-USA citizens. We disembarked with Aussie friends at the end of a SA cruise & even though there were fewer non-USA people to process it took them more than an hour more than us.

Edited by Astro Flyer