Using cell phone while in italy and on cruise

Action Dave

We will be in Rome pre cruise and then cruising on NCL to several ports in europe. does anyone have any experience with Cell phone use in Rome and also on cruise. Do i need a new cell phone chip for Rome and another for the cruise. Or do i just need an international cell phone chip. Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks all

It depends on who your cell carrier is. We have ATT, and have used their international day pass on all our out-of-the-U.S. cruises with no problem. It is $10 a day, and it works off of whatever cell plan you have at home. No extra charges for data, call, texts, social media, etc. When on the ship we put our phones in the safe once at sea. (turn off data roaming and data beforehand) If you want to use your phone on ship, turn on airplane mode. Just make sure you download the ATT Global wifi app before you leave the U.S. ATT does have other international plans (one for $60 and one for $120) but they limit your calling time and also your data is very limited.

It depends on how long long you'll be gone. For anything over 8 or so days, I will set up a T-mobile account for the month and cancel when I get back. Their international plan is the best value for longer trips, and I always want at least data for maps. I used T-mobile all over Italy last month and it worked great.

Cruise cell phone carrier plans (must be set up ahead of time!) are usually cost prohibitive (maybe only 50 cents per text, but very expensive calls, eg $6 per minute). If you need to stay in touch, you can pay for Internet on the cruise and then use wifi apps such as Whatsapp, etc, but the speed isn't going to be enough for streaming.

It depends on your carrier and possibly on your plan.

I have Project Fi, which uses T-mobile, Sprint, and other carriers. Project Fi has very low rates for international roaming, both voice and data. I was able to make voice calls and use mobile data in both Italy and Spain (didn't try in France). I had no phone reception at all on board the Epic, except when we were in port and then only on an open deck or near a window. My phone can also place calls over wi-fi but I had no occasion to do that.

I. again, just went and to Vodafone and buy a sim card. I use a cheap service in the US that doestn' have international.

I had a 28 day 3 gid date, for 10 euros and I didn't even use it all. I was in Europe 29 days so worked perfectly.

DH and I used TEP for a month in Ireland, Scotland, England and France. It was wonderful to have internet and we simply used face time to call home to the kids. The device does not work out at sea but as you are close to land it would connect pretty well. I liked that it was a flat fee and they delivered it to us at our London hotel and we mailed it home when we got back. Very easy set up.

Our primary devices (hardware) for cellular & WiFi calling are Android-based (but, do travel with an, unlocked, iPhone SE - as it shares a data-only Sim on the same line, very inexpensive) that run on Google's Project Fi (a hybrid mix of T-Mobile, Sprint & US Cellular, thus, both on GSM and CDMA networks - and, where available public WiFi's over secured VPN connections) - at home and abroad in 135+ countries, just about everywhere except onboard cruise ships ... as satellite coverage is expensive & excluded while roaming.

Unlimited SMS/texting, cellular data is $10 per 1GB (that's 1,000 MB) at 4G (not always LTE speed) and calling abroad is 20 cents a minute (it's free when using WiFi) - unlimited calling in all 50 states (home area) - compared to T-Mobile postpaid's throttled 2G/3G speed for data - no need to switch or buy/use a local prepaid Sim card, the same mobile device/CID number anywhere,

More details here - https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-project-fi-plans-pricing-explained/

For a typical port visit in Bermuda, Bahamas & the Caribbeans, we spend maybe $3 to $5 a day of moderate usage, mostly online & maybe a few calls (usually VoIP over WiFi, using Hangouts, Skype, Ooma, FB Messenger & even Facetime) - without "hunting" for an open & unsecured WiFi signal, locally ... same with Mexico & Canada (where most U.S. carriers have some sort of discounted deals & plans, but, data can still be pricey when roaming on land.) We used our data in Asia, including South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong & Vietname while vacationing - totally transparent, it just worked - boot/start up the smartphone & moments later, get the "Welcome ... greetings" and it's good to go.

The gap in coverage is while on a cruise, any cruiseline for that matter\, as there are no "free" satellite coverage no matter what. Just limit your usage & make use of whatever "free" promo airtime minutes from NCL ... a week of paid unlimited premium data charges on the ship is enough to pay for 6 months of basic/unlimited "Fi" coverage with 1.5 to 2 GB of data for at least 6 months (our monthly billed charges for "Fi" is under $40 a month in total, taxes/fees included.)