Royal Caribbean is buying majority stake in Silversea for $1bn

Keith1010

I found this in the skift website.

Carolyn Spencer Brown, Editor at Large at the industry news and review site Cruise Critic, said in June that new management was already making a big change before the deal.

“It’s really old-school luxury,” she said. “But what the new management is doing is putting a contemporary twist on the old-school luxury — putting more flavors, more vibrancy, less formality, less stuffiness.”

I can see that waterslide coming yet.

https://skift.com/2018/07/31/royal-caribbean-is-giving-its-new-silversea-fleet-a-luxury-upgrade/

Hi JP,

But some of the hyperbole used in the article is a bit excessive.

It seems hyperbole (lying) is acceptable for cruise lines. Why not? It's not like the ports of convenience in which they register their vessels have laws against misrepresenting the truth (or have competent maritime authorities when it comes to everything else - think about it).

We are a six-star, ultra luxury "all inclusive" cruise line... except for when the extra charges for your 'extras'... aren't included.

People accept it. They keep booking. Nothing will change.

Edited by Bill B

We haven't sailed Silversea in quite a few years now, but I always read with interest the threads here. To me, it appears that Silversea needed big corporate backing to continue to compete in the luxury cruise business. Seabourn has Carnival behind it and now Silversea will have Royal Caribbean--for better or worse for both lines.

I feel like a character in an early 1920s-set Downton Abbeyesque show who rises from chauffeur to aristocrat.... only to be 'time warped' into the future (1960s) and find Bob Dylan singing -

The times they are-a-changin'. :mad:

That sounds like turning the Wind into an expedition vessel is unlikely for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But they are going to add zodiacs to the Whisper.

"In December 2018, Silver Whisper will undergo an even more extensive refurbishment than initially anticipated. In addition to receiving a more modern look (in line with Silver Muse) and Zodiac boats for tours, the ship will see a partial refit of all its cabins."

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=8793

"In December 2018, Silver Whisper will undergo an even more extensive refurbishment than initially anticipated. In addition to receiving a more modern look (in line with Silver Muse) and Zodiac boats for tours, the ship will see a partial refit of all its cabins."

Thanks for pointing this out. I had not noticed this. I wonder what this means -- or whether it is perhaps a mistake in the release. It's difficult to believe that Whisper will become an expedition ship. Perhaps they will install cranes to manage Zodiacs and put Zodiacs onboard for use in some remote destinations that Whisper visits during its long WCs.

What are you talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Making the rest of the fleet to look like the Silver Muse. The Silver Wind is a lovely old classic and I can't image removing former decoration to look like the bland, boring and insipid Silver Muse. They did a reasonable good job on the Spirit (with many cons) but I can't image the same change on the Wind.

Enviado desde mi SM-T813 mediante Tapatalk

We are on The Whisper at the moment and have had one of our best of many cruises with SS

Have just spoken to Staff Captain Jaszewski and he informed me that the zodiacs are to be onboard for only a limited time on The World Cruise and that the will be stored forward on deck 5, during the dry dock storage frames will be fitted in this area for the zodiacs

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

• 6 months later...
On 6/15/2018 at 6:46 PM, meow! said:

Those affected the most and the biggest "losers" will be those who have accumulated hundreds of "days" on Silversea before. Now those elite Venetian members will have to face the "masses" who choose to try Silversea for a couple of times.

No not really, as ONLY Celebrity's Captain's Club & Azamara's Le Club, offer full RECIPROCAL BENEFITS at the top tier levels.  The top level that is matched with Royal's Crown & Anchor is Diamond: this is Elite on Celebrity & Discoverer on Azamara.  Here is a chart and key benefits for the top tiers.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/le-club-voyage/le-club-voyage-program/member-benefits  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits  

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefits/diamond-members/

Royal Caribbean Crown & Anchor Diamond

From priority check-ins to exclusive invitations and events: These are just some of the onboard perks you'll receive as part of your Crown & Anchor® Society membership.

• Matching Celebrity Cruises® Captain's Club & Azamara Club Cruises® Le Club Voyage member benefits 18
  • Onboard Offers are preloaded to your SeaPass card. Refer to your onboard Welcome Letter for details.
  • Private departure lounge with Continental Breakfast
  • Exclusive Top Tier Event
  • Signature Lapel Pin
  • Welcome Amenity upon arrival
  • Milestone Recognition 4
  • Chef’s Choice GIft/Amenity
  • Priority wait list for Shore Excursions/VitalitySM Day Spa Services/Main Dining Room
  • Diamond Lounge (on select ships) 7
  • Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event with complimentary drink vouchers

CROWN & ANCHOR SOCIETY MEMBERS ENJOY MORE ACCESS AND EXCITING BENEFITS AT MGM RESORTS INTERNATIONAL®

Crown & Anchor members may receive a complimentary tier match into M life Rewards: Diamond = M Life Gold

https://www.mgmresorts.com/en/mlife-rewards-program/tiers.html

https://dlxffu6hwewxp.cloudfront.net/cas/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/18062175_MGM_Partnership_Benefits_Page_HR.pdf 

Azamara---------------------------Celebrity-----------------------Royal Caribbean 

Preview (0 points) Preview (0 points)  
Adventurer (0-149 points) Classic (0-149 points)  
Explorer (150-299 points) Select (150-299 points) Platinum (30-54 points),
    Emerald (55-79 points)
Discoverer (300-749 points) Elite (300-749 points) Diamond (80-174 points),
    Diamond Plus (175-699 points),
    Pinnacle (700+ points)
Discoverer Plus (750-2,999 points) Elite Plus (750-2,999 points)  
Discoverer Platinum (3,000+ points) Zenith (3,000+ points)

Zenith (3,000+ points)

Benefits Include:

• Access to Michael's Club Lounge
  • Complimentary laundry
  • 20% discount on any digital or print photo package at the Photo Gallery
  • Priority Seating in Theater (on formal and production show nights, seats released 10 minutes prior to curtain call)
  • Complimentary access to Persian Garden (on one port day of your choice, while the ship is docked)
  • Earn double Club Points when you travel solo in a stateroom (as of July 1, 2014)
  • Upon reaching the Zenith tier, receive a complimentary 7-night Caribbean or Bermuda cruise (in a Veranda stateroom only)+++
  • Unlimited internet package
  • Complimentary Beverage Package
  • 25% off Specialty Dining
  • Elegant Tea with fellow members
  • Ability to enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society Diamond Level
  • Eligibility for Captain's Club offers when booking a future cruise on board

DISCOVERER PLATINUM

(3,000+ POINTS)

• Onboard Future Voyage Savings: 10%* savings
    • $200 USD Onboard Credit (or $300 if you book during the first half of your voyage)
    • 50% Reduced Deposit* No additional deposit required until final payment
  • Ten Earned Complimentary Nights, plus three earned complimentary nights each time you earn another 750 points**
  • 150 free WiFi minutes or $150 towards a full voyage unlimited package
  • One free bag laundry service, per stateroom, per seven-night voyage
  • 25% savings on signature Spa treatments*
  • 25% savings with the purchase of the Ultimate Beverage Package
  • Gift Shop savings: 5% savings when spending $1,000 or more in Fine Jewelry, or 10% savings when spending $2,000 or more in Fine Jewelry*.
  • Priority check-in at select ports
  • Exclusive onboard get-together for Discoverer members and above
Edited by gkbiiii

21 minutes ago, brimary said:

Final straw after twenty years of SS cruising .Farewell 52 days on our favourite Wind this summer and gracefully retire!

I honestly don’t understand why they would do it. They want to make money not give it away. Besides, where would the slides go and the arcades etc? Logistically it’s a move that makes no sense and I rather suspect it’s not related to SS at all. 

I can’t say I’ve seen that many kids on the cruises I’ve sailed, though those I’ve had have behaved impeccably. I’d still chose something else if I thought Silversea was becoming Disney. (And I’m sure Disney is a fine product.... just not something I’d chose.)

i wonder where “I peed in the pool” heard this information from? Amazing news to spread for a first post in the SS forum!

Edited by les37b

1 hour ago, les37b said:

I honestly don’t understand why they would do it. They want to make money not give it away. Besides, where would the slides go and the arcades etc? Logistically it’s a move that makes no sense and I rather suspect it’s not related to SS at all. 

I can’t say I’ve seen that many kids on the cruises I’ve sailed, though those I’ve had have behaved impeccably. I’d still chose something else if I thought Silversea was becoming Disney. (And I’m sure Disney is a fine product.... just not something I’d chose.)

i wonder where “I peed in the pool” heard this information from? Amazing news to spread for a first post in the SS forum!

20 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

My sentiments exactly!

Maybe tongue in cheek?? Just sayin