Review NCL Escape 6/10-17, 2018, NYC/Bermuda

DaisyL

Recap:

Loved the Cruise on NCL Escape! It wasn’t the best and certainly not the worst cruise we’ve taken but we haven’t been on a bad cruise yet.

We liked this cruise so much more than Breakaway 3 years ago. Meals, entertainment, crew, organization and crowd control.... all.so.much.better!

We still didn’t like the pool deck and Spice H2O, which is a deal breaker for us. Too crowded, congested and boring (except for the visiting band we happened to catch once).

Loved the new addition of The District Brew and entertainer Beau. We enjoyed Howl at the Moon, on both ships, but once each ship was enough for us. We like the intimacy of lounge/piano bar entertainment better; just our preference not a criticism. We saw all the main and comedy shows on BA, which were OK but skipped them this cruise because we really prefer live music to shows at this point.

We enjoyed the buffet for breakfast and lunch, but not dinner (tried it once), the Specialty Restaurants (tried 5), Savor (once), O’Sheehans (once). Meals were very good as well as service...loved them. The bars and Atrium were fun too.

Our balcony cabin was the same as BA, too small, but not a dealbreaker for future cruises.

Bermuda..what can I say!! Our favorite island with the bonus of enjoying a cruise out of our home port for 7 days...wish it was longer. We will definitely take this itinerary again but on Jewel class, our favorite ships with NCL.

Ship is really boring and crowded on sea days during bad weather. Other cruise lines have better onboard activities, covered pools and indoor space for activities and relaxing. NCL please build ONE ship for NY, year-round cruising and we may not cruise on another ship again.

Crowd control, organization, embark/debark process, crew service and friendliness, guest services, etc. were the best on any NCL cruise we’ve taken and the NYC experience best ever on any cruise. I was a bit of a skeptic prior to boarding (being a native NYer and having cruised out of the city many times) hearing all these glowing reviews about the Escape, but you were all right!

I’ll be back to answer questions and add anything I forgot.

TTYLf8fd9a62ab853ac6d1cda19a7dbb2505.jpg

Late night in the District Brewhouse at the end of a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very interesting. Have never been offered an upgrade after 52 of cruises. Would faint if we ever got call from the "upgrade fairy".

When I book I make sure that is the cabin we want and will be satisfied . I do get happy for people that do get an upgrade and can enjoy their cruise even more.

This is cool, thanks! I've been wondering what the offer looks like! Thanks again!

DaisyL -- we are taking the Escape to Bermuda in September. Since you were port, did the ship pull in with your room facing the port or the water?

Also, are you travelling to the terminal from the north? We come from the Philadelphia area and have to go through the tunnel, and have never seen an exit for the Ship terminal like in your picture.

Edited by Wyoming2010

Wait wait wait... Lobster is back at Teppanyaki and Cagney's?!?!

We sailed 2 weeks earlier, and they definitely did not have lobster at either place. I think when she posted "not exact menu" that she did not take those photos, but rather found and posted old menus from the internet for some reason. :confused::rolleyes:

We got that offer for the upgrade last week. We are sailing with another couple and went through a lot to get the midship rooms we wanted with the couch near the verandah, so taking an upgrade and risking being separated to different decks, or worse (for me) being assigned a forward room was too risky.

We sailed 2 weeks earlier, and they definitely did not have lobster at either place. I think when she posted "not exact menu" that she did not take those photos, but rather found and posted old menus from the internet for some reason. [emoji782][emoji57]

I apologize but I didn’t take menu photos this cruise and copied menus I had saved previously. But they all showed the offerings we ordered. If you have the dining or Platinum promos, entrees at ala carte restaurants is limited to $20 or you can pay an up charge.

Sorry for the confusion.... But they definitely offered a Seafood Dish in one restaurant and explicitly pointed out that it wasn’t included. I ignored meals with an up charge.

When you board, tables to reserve specialty restaurants and their menus are all over, even in the terminal prior to boarding. Also a desk next to Guest services, with menus, was available all week. I was able to reschedule a reservation late the second day, for later in the week, when my husband was ill.

Maybe someone can update mine....lol...didn’t think I needed to take new pix. Don’t know why NCL keeps them a secret when we want to make reservations ahead of time. Thanks, sorry again.

Edited by DaisyL

DaisyL -- we are taking the Escape to Bermuda in September. Since you were port, did the ship pull in with your room facing the port or the water?

Also, are you travelling to the terminal from the north? We come from the Philadelphia area and have to go through the tunnel, and have never seen an exit for the Ship terminal like in your picture.

From what I read, Escape will dock on either side depending on several conditions, but we had a port cabin and was docked facing the port. Maybe someone else knows if there’s a schedule? If it matters, the view is very nice on the other side too.

The photo I took is from the north but if coming from the south you will pass the Intrepid Museum, then the next set of piers is the ship terminal. You will turn left at the marked entrance, with a stop light and cop directing traffic. One way in, one way out and signage.

Edited by DaisyL

From what I read, Escape will dock on either side depending on several conditions, but we had a port cabin and was docked facing the port. Maybe someone else knows if there’s a schedule? If it matters, the view is very nice on the other side too.

The photo I took is from the north but if coming from the south you will pass the Intrepid Museum, then the next set of piers is the ship terminal. You will turn left at the marked entrance, with a stop light and cop directing traffic. One way in, one way out and signage.

The only real schedule not that its posted is what side, port or starboard are they either doing work on or if they need to drop the lifeboats for training. If its very windy and docking might be an issue they would dock Starboard side against the pier. This way they don't have to swing the ship around

Daisy ~ One more question - When debarking, did you notice a line for 'Global Entry' and, if so, how was the line?

Thank you.

Nancy

No I’m sorry, I don’t know what that is.

Thanks, Daisy. Have the terminals improved any with the lines and computers? The last two times we went through there they were having major issues with the computers crashing -- delaying the lines by 90 minutes plus!

No problems at all, guess we were lucky. As I said, this was the quickest ever.

Wait wait wait... Lobster is back at Teppanyaki and Cagney's?!?!

I knew I saw it somewhere...lol. They made a point when we reserved that the seafood extravaganza was not included in the promo. But I guess the other entrees were included, may have been...lotsa lobster here.

bc6c73da47798f34eada1640721a58d8.jpg

It's now crapshoot that the captain decides to dock the ship port side or starboard side, but you'll get great views either side.

I see Escape twice daily when the she is in - I drive along Harbour Road when I commute to work and I can see the ships docked at Dockyard across the Sound.

It's now crapshoot that the captain decides to dock the ship port side or starboard side, but you'll get great views either side.

I see Escape twice daily when the she is in - I drive along Harbour Road when I commute to work and I can see the ships docked at Dockyard across the Sound.

Thanks for adding your observations here. I’ve read a lot of advice and info from you.

We’ve had views on both sides of the ship on past cruises (and beautiful pix)and never disappointed. We may like the opposite side better but that’s just us...lol. thanks.

This year Escape so far has been dead on 3/4 times starboard in Bermuda. The week we were on the 6/10 trip it was port. This past week back to starboard.

Things can change or swap even while docked.

As far as global entry, if you are asking back in NYC, no, didn't see that at all.

Nice commute! (y)

I knew I saw it somewhere...lol. They made a point when we reserved that the seafood extravaganza was not included in the promo. But I guess the other entrees were included, may have been...lotsa lobster here.

bc6c73da47798f34eada1640721a58d8.jpg

Dang, if they're serving it in Bayamo, they should serve it throughout the specialty restaurants -- especially the steakhouse! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply with regards to 'Global Entry'. We have 3 cruises booked this year and are debating whether it would be worth our while to go through the process of getting 'vetted' for going through customs. Last year when debarking from the Independence, the lines were horrible but there was a really small line for Global Entry. I may start a thread to see what other people's experiences have been.

Global works just like TSA and allows speedy entrance/exit through US airports but also customs. I use it all the time when I fly. If you are not flying a lot it may not be worth it. Please note that unlike TSA all family members flying international together must have Global to use it.

Thanks for all this great information. We're sailing on Sunday. I can't wait.

You are very welcome. I wish we could go more than once a year...7 days is even too short. Hey NCL, a 9 day to Bermuda would be even better; maybe offer it in the ‘off season’ for the empty nesters!

You will have a great time! Please post back. I love everything Bermuda.