Drive 6 hours to port morning of cruise?

So I'll flip this around if anyone cares to comment. How early do you leave to make any possible contingency accounted for? And if air travel, how many connections, etc. does it take because that's certainly a factor.

In May we cruised out of Miami on a Saturday and living in Reno there were no non stops (1 2 hour layover at LAX). So we flew out on the redeye on Wednesday. Arrived in Miami Thursday morning and spent two days there , left for Cruise on Saturday. Always need a buffer when traveling that far.

So I'll flip this around if anyone cares to comment. How early do you leave to make any possible contingency accounted for? And if air travel, how many connections, etc. does it take because that's certainly a factor.

We had almost exactly a six hour drive and we left at 5am. That said, there are lots of alternate routes down the Florida east coast if trouble arose. So you'd have to factor that in as well. For instance, if I was traveling from Key West to Port Miami, I would definitely leave the day before despite it being only a four hour drive as a single wreck could delay you for hours.

Yep. Most every time we leave out of Canaveral. I get to bed early the night before (8pm ish). Get a few hours sleep and we leave around 3am (Greensboro NC). My wife sleeps in the car until we make a fuel stop and grab breakfast. It's a 9-10hr run and very easy. Hardly see any traffic until we hit 95. Never had a problem and not tired after getting on the boat. Crash at a regular time that first night (12-1ish typically).

Drove down the day before once (with kids) and stayed in a hotel near the port. Got worse sleep in that hotel than if I had driven the day of!

We leave early enough so that we arrive at the port no later than 930 or 10. I know you can’t typically get on the ship at that point so when we get to the port city,we might stop somewhere to buy the sodas we’re taking on the ship.

To each his own. But driving instead of flying has allowed us (financially) to take many more cruises than what we could do otherwise.

Also, DH is often on call the night before so we can’t technically leave until the morning of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which leads to another comment. For many folks, time is precious and in short supply. But you'll see some say 'I leave 2-3 days before so I'm relaxed when I get on the boat.' That's nice for those that can. It's not practical for many (most).

We must fly when we cruise. For a Saturday departure, we fly Friday night after work. If some major storm is bearing down, we'll know and adjust accordingly but it's never been a problem. I suppose it's one advantage to living in one of the top airline markets in the world here in Chicago. There's always an option somewhere. If I was in Fargo, ND, I'd probably want more cushion.

We're not retired, either, and are limited in vacation time. The first time we flew in a day early from Chicago to visit relatives, we found out the airport was closed the morning we sailed due to weather, and we would have "missed the boat" if we had tried to leave that morning.

We give about 5-6 extra hours for the drive.

Yep. Most every time we leave out of Canaveral. I get to bed early the night before (8pm ish). Get a few hours sleep and we leave around 3am (Greensboro NC). My wife sleeps in the car until we make a fuel stop and grab breakfast. It's a 9-10hr run and very easy. Hardly see any traffic until we hit 95. Never had a problem and not tired after getting on the boat. Crash at a regular time that first night (12-1ish typically).

Drove down the day before once (with kids) and stayed in a hotel near the port. Got worse sleep in that hotel than if I had driven the day of!

Hey neighbor! We are a few hours from your area and that sounds a lot like mine and my hubbys routine. He drives, I nap. [emoji23]

We were driving 5 hours to a concert that I was so excited about going to. First our vehicle had some problems so we were on the side of the road for a few hours. Then we got stuck in the worst traffic. We pulled up to the venue as the band started their first song. I couldn't believe it. Very stressful getting there!

We leave early enough so that we arrive at the port no later than 930 or 10. I know you can’t typically get on the ship at that point so when we get to the port city,we might stop somewhere to buy the sodas we’re taking on the ship.

To each his own. But driving instead of flying has allowed us (financially) to take many more cruises than what we could do otherwise.

Also, DH is often on call the night before so we can’t technically leave until the morning of.

That's a nice solid cushion. I wonder how it is in some families where one person is a 'leave way early' type and the other is a 'last minute'?

Just last month we went all the way from Chicago to Anchorage on Friday night. Was I a little nervous on that one? A smidge. The good news is that we had until 7p Saturday night to board so there was a little emergency cushion as our arrival in town beat that by about 20 hours. Those were two looong flights: ORD-PDX-ANC.:eek:

Edited by jsglow

We live in Phoenix and have cruised out of Long Beach several times. We have always drove (6+ hours) the day before and done a park and cruise deal (Hotel Maya) each time. It is a little more expensive than just driving to the port the day of and paying for parking at the port, but not that much more. We feel it is by far worth it to pay a little more and avoid the stress of same day driving through miles and miles of empty desert!! We get in the day before and start the party early. I say do whatever you are comfortable with.

We live in Phoenix and have cruised out of Long Beach several times. We have always drove (6+ hours) the day before and done a park and cruise deal (Hotel Maya) each time. It is a little more expensive than just driving to the port the day of and paying for parking at the port, but not that much more. We feel it is by far worth it to pay a little more and avoid the stress of same day driving through miles and miles of empty desert!! We get in the day before and start the party early. I say do whatever you are comfortable with.

Not quite following you there regarding the stress of driving with no-one around. That sounds very relaxing to me. I found my stress levels were much higher when I was commuting every day around DC on 495 or getting back across the causeway from Malaysia to Singapore with everyone else after weekend jaunts.

We rent a car locally in central Florida for 1 day @ $39 and drive to within an hour of Miami where rooms are cheaper and a decent room can be had for under $75. In the morning we turn in the car at a small Budget office near the ship and get their free shuttle. Easy. Our return trip from that same small Budget office was $189, so we took the free shuttled to MIA Budget where it was $43. TOTAL: Car and room : $157 VS Parking at port for $22 per day was $308 for our 14 day cruise, we saved $151, AND renting a car saved wear and tear on our car and left our car in our driveway so the house didn't look empty. AND renting the room let us board the ship rested so we could enjoy our first day and evening without turning in early because of a Long day.

We’ve driven overnight about 8 hours for a cruise. From SC to FL. The biggest issue was I was so tired I wasted a day recovering on the ship.

Used to be our problem too but whoever doesn't sleep in car we cover for and they sleep through muster/sail away!

I've done essentially your drive from Nashville to the Emerald Coast on a Saturday morning in the summer.

B-R-U-T-A-L. With a double capital B. (n)

Hi Tennessee neighbor!! I’m little over an hour from Nashville. Will be going to NOLA next march and will drive the day before. That sounds very stressful

We're driving from Charleston SC to Port Canaveral for our upcoming Magic cruise. It's almost 6 hours. I'm not a fan of it and would rather do a hotel the night before and a park and cruise package. Still, our cruise leaves on Saturday, and I have a TON of work to do at my job this week and couldn't take Friday off (neither could my husband).

Thankfully, there are four of us going so no one is going to have to drive the whole time. It's an early wake up call, but we'll get some caffeine and be fine. We're giving ourselves plenty of time to get there.

We’ve driven overnight about 8 hours for a cruise. From SC to FL. The biggest issue was I was so tired I wasted a day recovering on the ship.

I guess different strokes for different folks. The drive that does not tire me may well wipe out someone else. Also, what needed so much energy on the first day? I through the whole point was to relax? Recover/relax, what's the difference? Sitting with an adult drink or 7 will equally do both. :-)

Not quite following you there regarding the stress of driving with no-one around. That sounds very relaxing to me. I found my stress levels were much higher when I was commuting every day around DC on 495 or getting back across the causeway from Malaysia to Singapore with everyone else after weekend jaunts.

Coming from Bullhead, Arizona I face a similar plight being 6 hours from the port in Long Beach. Used to live 30 minutes from the port, but not now.:( Traveling for miles across the Mohave Desert knowing that NOTHING CAN GO WRONG or you'll miss your cruise can be very stressful. Driving through the desert many things can happen and most of them are bad. I haven't decided to travel the day before yet, but with the parking at the port for a week now so expensive, many hotels offering free weekly parking are making a day early stay almost a necessity for no other reason than STRESS. :D

112 degrees today, going up to 113 tomorrow, the desert can be brutal with vehicles. Just sayin'