Questions About Song of America

I am trying to find information about a cruise my dad took in the early 1980s. I called at least a year ago, but I have forgotten most of what the rep told me. I am fairly certain she said his cruise was on the Song of America.

I called this morning, and the rep couldn't see what ship it was because it said unknown. He said the sailing date was 11/5/80. He said he couldn't tell me the booking number or itinerary because it was 40 years ago. The rep then said the cruise was in 1970. I know that isn't right because my dad graduated high school in 1972. I know my dad didn't go on any cruises in high school. The rep said the system might have been assigning a random date to the cruise. I thought the cruise was in 1982 or 1984.

Was 11/5/80 a sailing date for the Song of America? Does anyone know what embarkation port it started in and what the itinerary was? The rep today said my dad was Gold and had 8 points. My dad only went on one Royal Caribbean cruise, and I'm fairly certain he wasn't in a suite.

I would ask my father, but he passed away over seven years ago.

How did my dad get 8 points from a seven day cruise? I don't think he could afford a suite at any point in his life.

If he took the cruise prior to January 2011, he got 7 points for the cruise and 1 fudge factor point.

Yes.

So the embarkation port was Miami. Now to find out the itinerary and, if possible, the sailing date. I am leaning toward 1984. Did the ship have 8 day cruises back then?

Song of Norway sailed eastern from Miami in the early 80's and went to Cozumel, grand Cayman, and Ocho rios. So maybe soa did the same

My first cruise was on Song of America in late 1989 or 1990. We went on the Western Caribbean out of Miami. I believe the ship did the alternating Eastern / Western Caribbean itineraries. Since this was my first cruise, I still think this ship was great!!

In 1980 the Royal Caribbean Line had three cruise ships: Song of Norway; Nordic Prince; and Sun Viking.

All three of these ships sailed out of Miami on Saturday on different itineraries.

Song of Norway did 7 day cruises going to Puerta Plata (DR), San Juan (PR) and St Thomas.

Nordic Prince and Sun Viking alternated 14 day itineraries.

Itinarary A: Ocho Rios (Jamaica), Curacao, La Guaria (VZ), Barbados, Martinique, St Thomas, Santo Domingo and Port-au-Prince.

Itinerary B: San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, Curacao, La Guaria, Aruba, Port Antonio (Jamaica) and Port-au-Prince.

November 5, 1980 was a Wednesday so that was not a valid cruise date. If 1980 is the correct year for a 7 day cruise then it was Song of Norway.

In 1984 All of these ships, plus Song of America, were doing itineraries out of Miami.

Song of Norway was doing 7 day runs leaving on Saturdays going to Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and Cozumel.

Song of America was doing 7 day runs leaving on Sundays going to Nassau, San Juan and St Thomas.

Sun Viking and Nordic Prince were doing the longer runs.

I went on Song of America in December 1983 and June 1990. I have a block that I purchased that says December 5, 1982-December 5, 1983, 1st Anniversay Cruise.

Cruise must have been out of Miami because we were only going out of there in those years.

Edited by Dett

This does not answer your question but since Song of Americas port of departure and destinations have integrated into the discussion I can add the following: June of 1997 and 1998 she was porting in NYC and travelling to Bermuda on 7 night trips. This was

our families first and second cruise and we have been cruising ever since.

From the link posted by SkiTeton above:

Following a voyage across the Atlantic, the Song of America entered service with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines on 5 December 1982 on a cruise from Miami to Nassau, San Juan and St. Thomas. This remained her main itinerary for the early parts of her career with RCCL.

I did a couple cruises on her, including a New Years cruise where we had a terrible time getting to the ship because of being fogged in and our flight was cancelled. We made it though, and had a wonderful cruise! :D:D (Have no idea why our guys were in cowboy hats with their tuxes though!)

1znr1gh.jpg

I am trying to find information about a cruise my dad took in the early 1980s. I called at least a year ago, but I have forgotten most of what the rep told me. I am fairly certain she said his cruise was on the Song of America.

I called this morning, and the rep couldn't see what ship it was because it said unknown. He said the sailing date was 11/5/80. He said he couldn't tell me the booking number or itinerary because it was 40 years ago. The rep then said the cruise was in 1970. I know that isn't right because my dad graduated high school in 1972. I know my dad didn't go on any cruises in high school. The rep said the system might have been assigning a random date to the cruise. I thought the cruise was in 1982 or 1984.

Was 11/5/80 a sailing date for the Song of America? Does anyone know what embarkation port it started in and what the itinerary was? The rep today said my dad was Gold and had 8 points. My dad only went on one Royal Caribbean cruise, and I'm fairly certain he wasn't in a suite.

Song of America started cruises from Miami, and still was stationed in Miami in 1990. It started sailing in 1982. It was sailing a standard Caribbean itinerary. Your father received 1 point. You received 1 point for each cruise. At some moment in time, they changed the point system to how many nights. So people that had 1 point, the 1 point was converted to nights, and they added a few bonus points into it. That's where the 8 points came from. In the records, when they started keeping them, the old records did not exist. So, I had to submit a claim to add the cruise into my record. All they do, is add the points, but the actual record still does not list my ship, or the dates.

As you can see from my signature I was on the Song of American back in 5/1/1988 & did a Western Caribbean Cruise (Ocho Rios, Cozumel & Grand Cayman) out of Miami. I do believe the Song of America was doing alternate East & West Caribbean itineraries out of Miami at that time. Hope this help!