Alaska plane tour

CRZe787

I did a float plane tour last week. It was incredible. We flew over Misty Fjords and saw gorgeous lakes, waterfalls, mountains and landed on the water so we could step out on the pontoon. It was beautiful and a great way to get an idea of the size of this part of the world. My daughter gets motion sick very easily and took Dramamine before our flight. She struggled a bit but was still glad she went. Nobody else had any issues and all thought it was a beautiful trip.

894050202_853317_s.jpgWe went with Southeast Aviation this May. We booked privately a year out and we and one other couple had a splendid tour with Kevin. It was as described above and we also landed on a lake that had just thawed. There was no one else around. You could tell Kevin loves showing people his part of the world. This was my husband’s favorite excursion And although the weather did not look so good when we pulled into Ketchikan, it was beautiful scenery once we flew a little out from Ketchikan. If you are looking at next year, you have time to pre book and may get a better deal and longer tour with a private vendor. Ours lasted about 1 and 1/2 hours in the air.

903307879_921438_s.jpg

Edited by cruisingjodi
Add picture

We are looking at fjords...

Thx

There was two options with RC about the same. Price was similar

We booked last week so we are look8ng at last minute availability

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Budget Queen pointed me to the fligtseeing 14 years ago through Cruise Critic. Whatever she recommends now I would listen to.

We went over the Misty Fjords and landed on a lake and got out. Fabulous outing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

894050202_853317_s.jpgWe went with Southeast Aviation this May. We booked privately a year out and we and one other couple had a splendid tour with Kevin. It was as described above and we also landed on a lake that had just thawed. There was no one else around. You could tell Kevin loves showing people his part of the world. This was my husband’s favorite excursion And although the weather did not look so good when we pulled into Ketchikan, it was beautiful scenery once we flew a little out from Ketchikan. If you are looking at next year, you have time to pre book and may get a better deal and longer tour with a private vendor. Ours lasted about 1 and 1/2 hours in the air.

903307879_921438_s.jpg

Kevin is one of my favorite pilots and have flown with him every chance I get. :) I've been a long time customer of Southeast Aviation and the flights, have always been breathtaking for me. NO better way to display the vastness and beauty of Alaska. :)

Any words of encouragement for someone afraid of one pilot and maintenance issues?
Here's a page from Island Wings' website, which should make you relax a bit, http://www.islandwings.com/about-your-plane---pilot.html, at least if you fly with Michelle. We flew with her back in 2004, and that flight remains our favorite tour in Alaska. We felt completely safe with Michelle and Lady Esther, her plane.

Michelle (Island Wings) is fantastic. We flew with her last week.

http://www.islandwings.com/cruise-ship-visitors.html

We also flew Island Wings in May - it was just magnificent! Michelle and Shona took good care of us. And we landed on a "rock" island, took pictures, peaceful, only sounds we heard were about 300 waterfalls and a few Arctic Terns chatting. We loved every minute of it and worth every penny. Booked directly with them. A bit cheaper than ship excursion.

Any words of encouragement for someone afraid of one pilot and maintenance issues?

My best advice would be to go to Trip Advisor and read reviews. I have never heard of these planes being involved in accidents. Unless you are looking the take off and landing are so smooth that you barely notice. We did a landing in Nooya Lake and the pilot let everyone get off and stand on the side floats or even get off the plane, so there were two take offs and two landings. I wouldn't book from the cruise line. Head to a broker for one of the lines and they will give you deals. I think we got three of us on for $219 each.

We used Family air in 2015. I liked that we were a group of 4 and had a private trip. I remeber Island wing's plane holds more people, but I could be wrong. It was great. The weather in Ketchican was cloudy, but as promised it was perfect in misty fjords. As Dave said, he wouldn't take people out in bad weather, because he'd get tons of complaints and business would go down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app