Unlimited drinks free!

susan1957

OK...my bad.... I get it now...NCL drink package is 750.00 for 7 days...where Carnival is $418.00 all in...[emoji782] carnival is 15% ...NCL is 20%...[emoji782] wonder who gets my vote...:'):'):')

Hi there, I have gotten the "CHEERS" PKG. THE LAST 3 TIMES I HAVE CRUISED. I have never reached the "15" limit on alcoholic drinks though it doesn't take long to add up a few, even spread out during the whole day and evening....What makes it worth it (and between alcoholic and nonalcoholic)...is the fact that it includes bottled water, iced caps...Gatorade, vitamin water, cappuccino's after dinner, etc. ALL THE NONALCOHOLIC BEVY'S...so ultimately..between both alcoholic and nonalcoholic....I definitely spend the 57.00 a day...not to mention....what we CAN'T mention on here....frowned upon

So you are willing to spend the ~$65.50 a day on a Carnival cruise ($56.95 + 15%) but not the $17.80 a day for NCL? Granted NCL’s doesn’t include bottled water, Gatorade and specialty coffee but I don’t think I could drink $47.70 worth of those kind of beverages a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unlimited "FREE' drinks ...PERK....over $250.00 SERVICE CHARGE....are you SERIOUS...how does free fit in here.....What a JOKE....I understand they have to charge the taxes but what is this....like 60% of the actual cost of the drink card? WOW

You can always turn down the free drinks and pay for them if you choose to do so. No one is forcing you to get the package for free.

So were you charged this fee when you booked your holiday? I have free UBP and the only few on my invoice are the daily service charge I chose to pay up front. Been expecting to get charged the UBP service charge on my room bill at the end of the cruise but from the way I read here, it’s not done then?

If you like terrible service and food, sail MSC.

I have to disagree about this. We have really liked the food on our NCL cruises but the food we got on MSC Meraviglia last summer was MUCH better.

The service isn't better on NCL either.

(Just my opinion.)

MSC, is very limited in the number of drinks for the entire cruise.

What do you mean with this? From what I can see on their site the "free" drinks package they offer now has an unlimited number of drinks included. (Can the package be more generous when booked in Sweden? I doubt it.)

So were you charged this fee when you booked your holiday? I have free UBP and the only few on my invoice are the daily service charge I chose to pay up front. Been expecting to get charged the UBP service charge on my room bill at the end of the cruise but from the way I read here, it’s not done then?

You'll be Premium All Inclusive, unless you booked about 2 years in advance or through a US site. The DSC and the Gratuities on the UBP will show as included on your invoice, in the amenities section with no charge against them.

You'll be Premium All Inclusive, unless you booked about 2 years in advance or through a US site. The DSC and the Gratuities on the UBP will show as included on your invoice, in the amenities section with no charge against them.

I actually did book in Jan 2017 which was before they offered Premium All Inclusive - I got the Free at Sea deal. Saved money on booking it later I have the DSC at total £119 on my invoice but no UBP service charge.

Edited by Bucket List Ticked
Add extra

I didn't understand what the service charge was for but then it was explained to me that covers the tax and gratuities to the bartenders. That's under $20 a day - still a great deal. I still plan to tip a little extra for really good service.

I’d love to see proof of that. Sure some of the money goes to the bar staff but there’s no way the house isn’t taking a percentage off the top. I suspect the only reason the drink package is “free” is because 20% the bloated price of $89 (twice what RCL charges, and RCL includes much more) easily covers the cost of the alcohol to NCL.

Nothing is free.

I actually did book in Jan 2017 which was before they offered Premium All Inclusive - I got the Free at Sea deal. Saved money on booking it later �� I have the DSC at total £119 on my invoice but no UBP service charge.

We got the free UBP on an Epic cruise in 2016, must admit I can't remember having to pay gratuities on it. It was part of a deal through a TA. I think it had something to do with EU law and if it says free it means free and that you can't charge something additional on something you have said is free. Now we've Premium All Inclusive it's even easier, if a little more expensive.

I’d love to see proof of that. Sure some of the money goes to the bar staff but there’s no way the house isn’t taking a percentage off the top. I suspect the only reason the drink package is “free” is because 20% the bloated price of $89 (twice what RCL charges, and RCL includes much more) easily covers the cost of the alcohol to NCL.

Nothing is free.

The burden of proof is on you isn't it? Can you provide proof that what NCL says is a gratuity for bar staff is not being used as such? Its not for anyone to prove that NCL is doing as it says. This is the not the first time that someone on this thread has questioned what NCL do with the money they take in without any proof.

The cost of the pack may well be bloated but doesn't that mean that NCL bar staff are getting better tips. Again the burden of proof is on you to say they're not.

UK booking rules and pricing are different than US and Canada.

What do you mean with this? From what I can see on their site the "free" drinks package they offer now has an unlimited number of drinks included. (Can the package be more generous when booked in Sweden? I doubt it.)

It can be very different depending on your country of booking.

It can be very different depending on your country of booking.

What are the rules for the included package MSC offer in the US now?

Normally the offers are more generous in the US than here and that's why I'm surprised that the offer is more generous here than in the US this time.

The cost of the pack may well be bloated but doesn't that mean that NCL bar staff are getting better tips. Again the burden of proof is on you to say they're not.

From NCL website. If the "service charge" were treated as a true "tip," meaning 100% went to the bar staff, they wouldn't use such "creative" language.

"Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports."

Key word there is "supports."

If the bar staff truly got 100% of the gratuities, that would mean they essentially make twice the amount of money as bartenders on Royal Caribbean, as they only charge 18% on a package at $45. I certainly find it hard to believe that one cruise line pays DOUBLE than another. They all compete for customers just as competitively as they compete for crew members. That's basic business knowledge.

At resorts on land, it is standard practice for management to take a percentage off the top of the gratuity pool for group functions like weddings, where you have multiple staff members working and an 18% service charge tacked onto the bill. I know, because I worked those types of jobs for 10+ years at all of your major resorts, Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc. It was the same everywhere. I see no reason why it would be any different on a cruiseship. If anything, I'd think the staff gets stiffed even worse since they aren't subject to US labor laws.

IMO it is kind of dumb to focus one one particular difference between 2 cruise lines. When I compare cruise lines I look at the total cost including the features I want. In my case I include beverage package, internet (250 min or more pp for 7 days), and gratuities. I don't really care if it is an included perk or an add-on paid separately. It is the total that counts.

Or, as I like to say, never read the words - always do the math. All of the math, not some cherry picked item so you can advance a narrative about one line over another.

still not sure you get it. Just did two trial bookings, NCL Getaway vs Carnival Glory Oct sailing from Miami to western carib. Carnival with Cheers $2478. NCL Getaway (10 years newer) with drink package and $200 excursion credit $2629. Math is your friend.

OK...TAKE THE 200 EXCURSION CREDIT OFF...AND THEY ARE THE SAME...so again...where's the deal with NCL's "free drinks".... Actually Carnival's is better deal as they offer all SUPERIOR ALCOHOL...bottled water, specialty coffee's canned pop....vitamin waters....gatorade...etc. etc. etc....

Been that way for a while. Nothing new. But, maybe you need to go and have your kids help you with your math. It’s not 60%. You’re paying the gatuity on the package which would not be an allowable business expense. You pay the 20% gratuity on all food, beverage, and spa expense on the ship. The package at 20% is way cheaper than buying drinks on the ship.

OK, I agree, 20% is way cheaper than buying drinks on the ship. Just wish that NCL package included bottled water, gatorade, specialty coffees, vitamin water, etc. etc. like Carnival's does ;)...quite expensive for what it covers

Edited by susan1957

As an attorney who does a great deal of work in consumer fraud I’m not a fan of the “free” wording for the drink package. Especially because the service charge isn’t even mentioned in the first layer of “fine print” ( that which you see when you click on “learn more”. ) Of course you do find out once you book but I don’t like the “ bait” like qualities of the way this is worded. In some states with really strict consumer fraud laws you might even successfully bring a suit against NCL because this likely violates the law. But these suits are expensive and difficult to prosecute ( because they’d have to be class actions) so NCL can probably avoid suit. It’s my understanding that EU and other countries have strict laws about “ free” aso that may be why there is no service charge added.

That said I think the price with the service charge is reasonable even for very light drinkers like us. I also like the change of calling it Unlimited Opem Bar instead of Ultimate Beverage Package. I wouldn’t expect an “ open bar” to include bottled water but the “Ultimate Beverage Package” sounded more inclusive. Good call on this NCL.

Edited by Maya1234

1. Don't take the UBP promo so you don't have to pay the 20% service charge.
  2. Order your drinks a la carte and you will pay a 20% service charge per drink.
  3. See if you end up paying more than $17.80 per day for drinks.

If your total is more than $17.80 per person per day, you should have taken the promo. If your total is less than $17.80 per person per day, you made the right choice.

you are right. the wife and I had two drinks, 1 margarita and 1 martini. the cost was almost $26. so it is well worth it.

I don’t have an issue with the gratuity charges on the ubp - if you drink the minimum alcoholic beverages it’s worth it. I do take issue with some of the really difficult ins and outs of the perks and packages.

Last sailing we could have taken the free ultimate beverage package because we were in a suite. Don’t drink so gratuity was more than a soda pkg. Zero discount on the soda pkg (absurd imo) so I paid full price for it. I was aware that canned soda isn’t included in the soda pkg but sometimes I want a can of Diet Pepsi. We were in Iceland where a.) Diet Pepsi is difficult to find and b.) the cost of soda and water was actually a bargain onboard and c.) I just wanted to purchase a couple cans to take with me in rental car. So as we were headed off to see about a Geyser I stopped by my friendly bartender in the garden cafe. He could not sell me a can of soda because I had a soda package. Thankfully I hadn’t purchased husband a soda pkg. I had to go back to table, get his key card, go wait in line again and purchase the cans of soda with husbands key card.

When paying the very high prices for suites and getting all these free perks, yet not getting one single “free” beverage or even a discount on a trade out for a soda pkg and no ability to purchase a soda can if you make a mistake by purchase of a soda pkg - we’ll it’s just plain maddening. Especially from a non drinker’s standpoint which I know there’s pleanty of.

I Really wish they would come out with a non alcoholic beverage replacement package that included things like canned soda, Pellegrino, water, coffees. They could easily charge as much as the ubp so it would be a money maker. It’s offensive to pay suite prices and be “given” a free beverage package that has zero benefit.

I Really wish they would come out with a non alcoholic beverage replacement package that included things like canned soda, Pellegrino, water, coffees. They could easily charge as much as the ubp so it would be a money maker. It’s offensive to pay suite prices and be “given” a free beverage package that has zero benefit.

Sounds like you're looking for one of these:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/beverage-packages

So as we were headed off to see about a Geyser I stopped by my friendly bartender in the garden cafe. He could not sell me a can of soda because I had a soda package. Thankfully I hadn’t purchased husband a soda pkg. I had to go back to table, get his key card, go wait in line again and purchase the cans of soda with husbands key card.

I think that the bartender just gave you incorrect info.

Certainly, with the UBP there is (or at least was) the ability to purchase drinks even if you have the package. You can, for example, buy a friend a drink using your card if you want to.

I don't see any reason why the same can't be done with the soda package. Maybe there is some reason, but my guess is that there was some misunderstanding or mistake.

Sure, if you want to go to bed at 10 PM, sail Celebrity. If you like terrible service and food, sail MSC.

I personally prefer NCL and Royal. Luckily for all of us there are different cruise lines that offer different experiences.

35 here and did a 10 nighter on the Celebrity Equinox last year.

I’d say it was active until about midnight with the party crowd going until 2 or 3. More people were up on non port days the following day. I will say the last night was dead but most people were taking early flights while I live in South FL.

It was not a snooze fest at all. And let’s not kid ourselves, the food is outstanding. The beverage package included all drinks except for high end stuff like Johnnie Blue which was just extra to cover the amount. All coffee, all juice, energy drinks . . . .and the perk includes gratuities.

So while the beverage package is an obvious perk selection for NCL, despite the $17 a day charge . . . .it is probably the worst beverage package at sea based on value and inclusions.