Just got an upgrade to the Haven and have questions

Finnrox

I was just informed that our bid for the Haven was accepted, and I have some questions that hopefully this amazing board can answer.

1. What is the dress code like in the Haven restaurant?

2. Is the wine list any different than other bars on the ship?

3. Will a pre-cruise concierge contact me before the cruise, or because it is so last minute will that not happen?

4. What is the protocol on tipping the concierge/butler?

Any other thoughts and advice you might have would be greatly appreciated, especially considering this is our first cruise on NCL. Thanks in advance for your help.

Congratulations on winning your bid!

Dress code for Haven restaurant is the same as at other restaurants on the ship. We typically wear capris/slacks/nice shorts. Sometimes we get a little dressier.

Wine list - not sure about this, but I think you can get any type of wine that's available anywhere else on the ship.

Pre-cruise concierge - we never bother with this. We take care of whatever we need once we get on the ship.

Tipping - subjective and everyone has an opinion. We tip the concierge and butler at the end of the cruise. It's just me and DH and we're not very needy. Concierge typically gets around $50 depending on how much we've used their services, and butler gets around $100 - $150 depending on how needy we've been. We may ask for 1 or 2 meals delivered during a cruise and ask for iced tea in the fridge, but that's about it. We'll also tip the steward an extra $50 or so if they do a great job during the week.

Congrats! We were just upgraded as well (Getaway July 1).

You will see more “business casual” during dinner, but dress code itself is the same as any other dining venue.

The wine list may differ than other venues, but the same basic wines are available.

I’ve never had any requests from the pre-Concierge actually happen on board, so I don’t even bother anymore. If it’s something to do with your cabin, ask your butler. If it’s reservations or excursions, the concierge can help.

Butlers and Concierge ARE NOT included in your DSC/gratuities. I generally tip based on how I use them. I’ll tip anywhere from $50-$100 for each, but there have been cruises where I haven’t used the concierge at all except for embarkation/devarkation and have tipped $20 or so. But I tip them all at once at the end rather than for each interaction.

I am on the Bliss currently and many people will wear just about anything in the Haven. I for one will wear jeans and a sweatshirt a few times on this cruise. I never liked the idea of dressing for dinner. What I put on in the morning is what I will wear the whole day

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Shorts and t-shirt are fine for all 3 meals in the Haven restaurant. Many (most?) will dress "smart casual" but "cruise casual" is fine in the Haven.

If something is on the ship and you want it in the Haven restaurant, someone will fetch it for you.

3. Will a pre-cruise concierge contact me before the cruise, or because it is so last minute will that not happen?

If you don't hear from them, give them a call or write an email including your reservation number.

It is entirely up to you. People on the forum will give suggestions or examples of what they tip but it's your call/money.

Any other thoughts and advice you might have would be greatly appreciated, especially considering this is our first cruise on NCL. Thanks in advance for your help.

If there are specific things that you like or dislike, feel free to voice your concerns while on the ship. The butler and concierge are there for your benefit. Make the most of your experience and don't be afraid to ask for things.

I was just informed that our bid for the Haven was accepted, and I have some questions that hopefully this amazing board can answer.

I can only address #4. The protocol is to tip who you want when you want however much you want. I do believe that most people do tip the concierge and butler, but there is no set or recommended amount.

1. Dress code is shorts are allowed. Many wear shorts to breakfast and lunch. Some wear to dinner.

2. Same list

3. No precruise concierge needed. Work with the real one onboard.

4. Protocol is you tip. When people ask, I respond:

Butler $10-$15 per persons in room per days on cruise ($10 x 2 people x 7 days).

Concierge; $5-$10 per person in room per days on cruise.

Room steward: $5-$10 per person in room per days on cruise.

Congratulations and have a wonderful Cruise on the Getaway!

What a load of crap, you tip the value of the service, if the service is poor I don’t tip.

Remember you have paid for the cruise, from the U.K. our gratuity is included in price, the staff are there to do a job, NCL pay them.

1. Dress code is shorts are allowed. Many wear shorts to breakfast and lunch. Some wear to dinner.

2. Same list

3. No precruise concierge needed. Work with the real one onboard.

4. Protocol is you tip. When people ask, I respond:

Butler $10-$15 per persons in room per days on cruise ($10 x 2 people x 7 days).

Concierge; $5-$10 per person in room per days on cruise.

Room steward: $5-$10 per person in room per days on cruise.

Congratulations and have a wonderful Cruise on the Getaway!

I agree 100% with everything except the extra tip for the room steward. They are already included in the DSC and the DSC is already higher for the suites and/or Haven rooms so they are already being compensated a little extra. If they did something unusually special for the room (cleaned up after a large party, etc.) that is really out of the ordinary duties then absolutely the steward deserves an additional tip. Of course everyone is free to do what they wish with their own money.

I am on the Bliss currently and many people will wear just about anything in the Haven. I for one will wear jeans and a sweatshirt a few times on this cruise. I never liked the idea of dressing for dinner. What I put on in the morning is what I will wear the whole day

*** Thi is why we use NCL. I am on vacation and don’t want to waist time getting all “dressed up”. I love the freestyle dinnng/attire aspect on NCL dinning.

Hi, where are you sailing and on what ship? We're just off the Breakaway in the Baltics and stayed in the Haven and here are a couple of thoughts on your questions:

1. There is no dress code, but we found that Haven passengers tended to dress up a bit for dinner. It was cool in the evenings in the Baltics, so ladies were in pants or dresses with a sweater or wrap over their shoulders and the guys were mostly in pants or jeans with a polo or other smart casual shirts. My 18 yr. son remarked one night at dinner in the Haven because there was a family with a bunch of the men wearing t shirts and wearing ballcaps..."don't they know that you should dress nicer than that in the Haven?" LOL...this from a boy who lives in t-shirts and ballcaps at home, but just shows you that he noticed that they were dressed more casually than most of the other diners. For breakfast and lunch, people were dressed casually.

4. Tipping, no protocol or expectation on amount was shared but the Concierge reminded Haven passengers during our disembarkation talk that tips for the Butler and for himself were not included in the automatic DSC. After we were already billed almost $500 in tips, we did tip both of them and a bit more to our steward, as well as the Haven bartenders, but we did not tip at the levels Gampy is suggesting below (which would have been up to another $315).

We loved staying in the Haven and actually do not think we would've liked sailing on the Breakway much if we had not been in the Haven. Take full advantage of the wonderful food and service in the Haven dining room and bar. The staff seemed to be the best on the ship and the food absolutely a cut above!

Enjoy!

Lynne

There is no protocol for tipping, in the U.K. all our DSC are paid upfront, therefore we do as we please.

Cool. If we ignore the customary I hope to see the Queen Mother and give her a high-five!

Wink. Wink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no protocol for tipping, in the U.K. all our DSC are paid upfront, therefore we do as we please.

Just because you post the same thing twice, that doesn’t make it more true. ;p

Ps — I found another thread specifically on this topic of UK tipping:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showpost.php?p=55086345&postcount=6

From Hzv5wk

Note that the premium all inclusive info on the UK NCL website specifically recommends tipping butler or concierge if you are in a suite. So it's a bit like bottled water - All inclusive as long as you read the small print clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

All gratuities and tips related to the all-inclusive services are included as well as the service charge.

An 20% gratuity will automatically be added to guest's accounts for dining options and spa treatments not included in the cruise fare. We encourage guests utilising these additional services to acknowledge good service provided by the staff members with appropriate gratuities. We recommend to guests staying in Suites who receive services from a butler or concierge to acknowledge service provided appropriately.

Cool. If we ignore the customary I hope to see the Queen Mother and give her a high-five!

Wink. Wink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

She died 16 years ago, so good luck with that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What a load of crap, you tip the value of the service, if the service is poor I don’t tip.

Remember you have paid for the cruise, from the U.K. our gratuity is included in price, the staff are there to do a job, NCL pay them.

How do you know NCL pays them? did you see a pay check?

Thanks for the post about the recent Breakaway Baltics. We are on the July 13 sailing. I agree completely about the Haven experience on the Breakaway since we were on the ships last summer in Bermuda and the trip wouldn’t have been the same for us outside of the Haven. Our concierge and room steward were wonderful and did a few extra services and we’d did tip extra. We did not really call on the butler often but he also received an additional tip. I appreciate the evening clothing tips. I loved your son’ comment! No tees and shorts for us either at night. I also remember being a littleness surprised last summer that despite all the talk about freestyle low key dress codes at night there were many many people who did dress for dinner. Do what makes you feel comfortable and you will enjoy your stay in the Haven.

You keep saying that. The only problem is that, when you are on a NCL ship, you are not in the UK. If you were to go to a restaurant in the US, I wouldn't care how mediocre the service is, you would be expected to tip 15%, if not 20% these days. If the service were actually bad, you should speak with the manager before withholding a tip. Otherwise, you are just being an ass. When in Rome, it is simply rude to thumb your nose at Roman manners.

NCL make it abundantly clear that they expect you to tip the butler and concierge for what are considered basic suite services. If you choose to stay in a suite without doing so, you are being an ass. Which no one can prevent. But let's just call a spade a spade. Or, in this case, an ass an ass.

Edited by havenfan