How long does it take to get to Sawyer Glacier from Juneau on the Bliss?

umpisoccer

Is it worth while to be out on your deck for the entire trip from Juneau to Sawyer Glacier? How are the sights from Juneau to the entrance to the Tracy Arm? We are trying to determine if we want to stay out on our balcony the entire time or just for the Tracy Arm section up and back. Thanks.

You could actually stay out on your balcony for all the inside passage portion of the cruise and see something continuously beautiful. So it's just a matter of how much you want to see. Only the glacier or the total surroundings. On an Alaska cruise I would try to be looking out somewhere as much as possible.

We were on the Tracy Arm excursion on the June 2 cruise (which went up Endicott Arm) and on the way down Stephens Pass we saw eagles, bears, humpbacks and even a humpback breach. Whether all of that was seen from the ship, I don't know (it was following quite a ways behind us). In my opinion, Alaska is about the scenery so I'd want to be outside watching it as much as possible.

Also, realize you will be coming up the exact same part of Stephens Pass early in the morning on the way to Juneau. Might want to be up and watching scenery then too.

And if seeing the scenery on the trip down to Sawyer is a priority, please seriously consider the Tracy Arm excursion, if you can.

Last time we did it, we watched the entire trip from our balcony and then went up to the top when we were at the glacier. You are just feet away from land so the stunning waterfalls etc are sooo close!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done the trip multiple times and after “stocking up” with snacks from the buffet (or the observation lounge on the Bliss) we have sat outside for the whole trip from Juneau to the glacier (1:30 - 6:00/7:00). We slowly dawn more layers of clothes as the temperature drops.

I was wondering how long it takes to get to Sawyer glacier from Juneau through Tracy Arm? Is it

a 5 or 6 hour round trip? Thanks

The first couple of cruises have not gone to Sawyer, but rather Dawes. May I suggest you login to your NCL account, find the glacier explorer shore excursion at 1:15pm and book it? Worth.Every.Penny. The cruise ship can't get nearly as close to the glacier as this shoreEX and the intimate encounter it gives you will live with you forever. The excursion rejoins the ship in the fjord after the experience.

There is no reason at all to spend any time inside your cabin in that area. Whales, orcas, and other wildlife are common. Either b on the deck or on your balcony. I recommend on an upper deck so that you can move from side to side as needed.

There is no reason at all to spend any time inside your cabin in that area. Whales, orcas, and other wildlife are common. Either b on the deck or on your balcony. I recommend on an upper deck so that you can move from side to side as needed.

You could stay in your (balcony) cabin and view it all in on your side of the ship.

The cruise either to Sawyer or Dawes goes up and returns back the same way.

But as zqvol noted being on the upper top deck with ability to move from side to

side may be an advantage in seeing something only on that side of the ship briefly.

The fish and wild life do not put on a continuous show.

Frequently someone on the bridge may see something and comment where to look

for it but it may not be on your side of the ship. Be flexible !

For those taking photos - the scenery and lighting will be an ever changing event

going and returning.

May I suggest you login to your NCL account, find the glacier explorer shore excursion at 1:15pm and book it? Worth.Every.Penny. The cruise ship can't get nearly as close to the glacier as this shoreEX and the intimate encounter it gives you will live with you forever.

This!

I never want an upper deck viewing. I want the lowest possible, for superior views. Uppers many times are through plexi, which is a huge negative for my priorities. So, sure, everyone head up- leave the wide open spaces to me. :)

I am out for the entire journey, along with before and after. This is nonstop scenery.

If we stay on our port side balcony will we see everything or should we plan to get to an outside deck on the forward/front section of the ship?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Port side will see it for a few minutes while the ship spins. Starboard sees it twice. That is based on the current cruise since we spun towards Port. They could possibly spin in the other direction. If you go to the upper deck you are covered no matter what and get the most viewing time

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

If we stay on our port side balcony will we see everything or should we plan to get to an outside deck on the forward/front section of the ship?

You will see everything on the port side of the ship. And you will see nothing on the starboard side. If all you really care about is the glacier, then as the previous reply stated, the ship should do a spin so you will see the glacier.

But there is so much more than just the glacier to see. The wildlife and scenery are all around - could be on either side, both sides, neither side, you just don't know. If you can't go on the excursion referenced above, I'd plan to be up on deck where you can move side to side, or, in the observation lounge. But the excursion will be the best viewing.

That all being said, if for whatever reason you prefer to stay on your own balcony, I'm sure you will enjoy that view as well.