Carnival returning to San Diego

JMKreno

Good news but boo on the 5 day. They need to return to the 8/9 day. It will be interesting to see if they use the new cruise terminal. The last few times I've sailed in or out of SD they never used the new terminal. Even when two ships were in port the new terminal was empty.

Good news but boo on the 5 day. They need to return to the 8/9 day. It will be interesting to see if they use the new cruise terminal. The last few times I've sailed in or out of SD they never used the new terminal. Even when two ships were in port the new terminal was empty.

It was probably booked for a wedding later that afternoon :(

It was probably booked for a wedding later that afternoon :(

Do you ever see any ships at the new terminal and if so what brands? SD is one of the best ports for proximity to everything, not too big of a city and is such a cool city ;)

The 8 (or maybe it was 9) day out of SD that included Acapulco was wonderful (Carnival Spirit). I would do that again in a heartbeat.

That was one of the great 9 day options. When crime soared in Acapulco Carnival dropped the port but added two other 9 day itineraries. Some offered Manzanillo, Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo and La Paz as well as Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Ensenada.

The 8 (or maybe it was 9) day out of SD that included Acapulco was wonderful (Carnival Spirit). I would do that again in a heartbeat.

I also sailed on that itinerary! I loved visiting acalpulco and the 9 days was great. I would do it again too!

Also really happy to sail out of San Diego!!!! woo hoo! But no bueno on the 5 day sailing. Need 7 or more days.

San Diego and Mobile are the only two ports that Carnival has ever pulled out of completely. They can say what they want about sales and pricing, but I believe both pullouts were due to industry politics and promises made to FL ports. Now that Carnival has multiple new ships coming online and shows no signs of deep sixing any of the existing fleet, they will be looking for spots to place ships.

San Diego and Mobile are the only two ports that Carnival has ever pulled out of completely. They can say what they want about sales and pricing, but I believe both pullouts were due to industry politics and promises made to FL ports. Now that Carnival has multiple new ships coming online and shows no signs of deep sixing any of the existing fleet, they will be looking for spots to place ships.

It will be interesting to see if San Diego could build this into year-round service or even one year-round ship and one seasonal ship since obviously whatever ship is serving Alaska has to spend its winters somewhere.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Norfolk get a full time ship by 2020 or 2022. Even if another ship gets retired, which appears unlikely, the next two ships are large enough to consolidate routes served by two Fantasy class ships.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

They have too much invested in Long Beach to permanently port a ship in San Diego :(.

In Jan 2020 Miracle is doing a 15 day HI, going to Kauai. The other Carnival classes are too big for Kauai (except Fantasy Class).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As being a local resident. I'm glad to see that they are sailing out of here again. I just booked the 5 day to Cabo. How can you go wrong for an Extended Balcony for $420pp? You can lose that in a bad night at Barona. We need to support them and hopefully Carnival will be full time

They have too much invested in Long Beach to permanently port a ship in San Diego :(.

In Jan 2020 Miracle is doing a 15 day HI, going to Kauai. The other Carnival classes are too big for Kauai (except Fantasy Class).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very interesting something to consider

It IS very interesting. We did the 15-day Hawaii cruise on the Spirit when it sailed from San Diego in 2012. BEST cruise so far!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

We have done it on Miracle a few years ago when she had propulsion problem and a very nice cruise other than not making it to Maui. Did it earlier this year out of San Fran on Grand Princess and another very nice cruise.

Will consider this down the road a bit

Stu, I'm very surprised. 11 years ago Carnival threatened to pull out of San Diego unless a new pier was built for their ships. The Port Authority asked for and received a bond approval from the property taxpayers of San Diego County to pay for the pier's construction. The pier was built to spec for Carnival and we were thanked by Carnival pulling out of San Diego regardless of our taxpayers efforts.

Other than the occasional Holland-America ship stopping here on a repo cruise the beautiful cruise terminal is mostly used as a catering venue for weddings and the like. So yes, I'm shocked is what I am.

Disney was there for a few cruises before going to Alaska. I took the train from Fullerton to San Diego before the cruise and it was an easy trip.

• 5 weeks later...

I am excited. I always loved cruising out of San Diego and when I saw Miracle out of San Diego as an option I snagged it. I've cruised Spirit & Pride twice and not only wanted to try Miracle and never had the vacation time to plan it but now out of my favorite port city, wow.

Stu, I'm very surprised. 11 years ago Carnival threatened to pull out of San Diego unless a new pier was built for their ships. The Port Authority asked for and received a bond approval from the property taxpayers of San Diego County to pay for the pier's construction. The pier was built to spec for Carnival and we were thanked by Carnival pulling out of San Diego regardless of our taxpayers efforts.

Other than the occasional Holland-America ship stopping here on a repo cruise the beautiful cruise terminal is mostly used as a catering venue for weddings and the like. So yes, I'm shocked is what I am.

11 years ago the economy tanked and then Swine Flu fiasco happened a year or so later. Except for Carnival’s two ships out of Long Beach everyone else pulled out of the year round SoCal market.

11 years ago the economy tanked and then Swine Flu fiasco happened a year or so later. Except for Carnival’s two ships out of Long Beach everyone else pulled out of the year round SoCal market.

Yes and they never came back to San Diego until this most recent announcement. The recovery for the cruise industry has been in full swing long before now.