Hey no more wine packages on RCI?

We are returning to cruising after a two year hiatus on Grandeur out of B’more in a few weeks. My wife tried to find a wine package on the website and no luck. So she called and Yup no more wine packages. I guess it was not cost effective from them? So I guess the work around is to buy a bottle in the dining room for our glass of wine with dinner. Just curious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are returning to cruising after a two year hiatus on Grandeur out of B’more in a few weeks. My wife tried to find a wine package on the website and no luck. So she called and Yup no more wine packages. I guess it was not cost effective from them? So I guess the work around is to buy a bottle in the dining room for our glass of wine with dinner. Just curious...

The fleetwide wine packages have been gone for quite a while now. However, you may find that the ship may have their own package they sell onboard. You can also take on two bottles of wine per stateroom (each no larger than 750ml) at initial board. They may charge you a $15 per bottle fee if you take them to a public venue, like the dining room.

The fleetwide wine packages have been gone for quite a while now. However, you may find that the ship may have their own package they sell onboard.

Not sure if this matters at all Bob with grandeur and Caribbean specific I sailings, however wine packages are offered and advertised daily on our current Brilliance cruise (UK) on the Compass.

Ship/hotel director dependant??

(Like the drink card or specialty restaurant discounts)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gotcha. Thx [emoji846]

Thanks everyone... maybe we have been gone three years lol... we may bring the two bottles on board... I think they have a de-corking/service fee. If I am not mistaken the wine must be consumed in stateroom. Or buy a good moscato and share it between the two of us. We can’t wait to get back to sea!

Thanks everyone... maybe we have been gone three years lol... we may bring the two bottles on board... I think they have a de-corking/service fee. If I am not mistaken the wine must be consumed in stateroom. Or buy a good moscato and share it between the two of us. We can’t wait to get back to sea!

See post #2 for the fee info.

Thnx Clarea

$15 dollar de-cork fee per an $8 buck bottle of wine? They can forget that...buying a bottle of wine at the table is more cost effective.

We are going into this cruise with an open mind ... we love the ship and have have had good times on Grandeur and as a Diamond Crown and Anchor look forward to everyone having a good time on a great ship.

Can’t wait to give a review of the ship and crew and etc.

$15 dollar de-cork fee per an $8 buck bottle of wine? They can forget that...buying a bottle of wine at the table is more cost effective.

We are going into this cruise with an open mind ... we love the ship and have have had good times on Grandeur and as a Diamond Crown and Anchor look forward to everyone having a good time on a great ship.

Can’t wait to give a review of the ship and crew and etc.

Have you checked the price on even the cheapest bottle of wine on board? In any event, it’s been widely reported that waiters have been reluctant to charge the corkage fee. Ymmv. In any event, if you are only having one glass, there is never a charge for bringing in a glass of wine.

Have you checked the price on even the cheapest bottle of wine on board? In any event, it’s been widely reported that waiters have been reluctant to charge the corkage fee. Ymmv. In any event, if you are only having one glass, there is never a charge for bringing in a glass of wine.

Thanks for the input ... and we could even walk in with a cocktail (free of charge) we have been away from cruising about three years and are keeping an open mind with RCI ... our daughter ust to work for the line and we have had a lot of good memories on Grandeur.

$15 dollar de-cork fee per an $8 buck bottle of wine? They can forget that...buying a bottle of wine at the table is more cost effective. ...

Royal would charge $30 (or more) for that $8 bottle of wine.

Royal would charge $30 (or more) for that $8 bottle of wine.

Hmm 15 plus 8 = 23 and so we would save 7 dollars ... we can splurge on vacation and not the hassle when they X-ray the luggage and delay our stuff. To us it ain’t worth the trouble ...

Others may have had different experiences, but we have never been charged a corkage fee when we take a bottle of wine to the dining room. We bring wine aboard on every cruise. We open the bottle in the cabin before going to the MDR, so it's already open - all we need are glasses, which our wait teams have always supplied without charging a corkage fee. If we don't finish the bottle, they keep it for us for the next night. (We always bring a corkscrew to use in our cabin, but if you don't, your cabin steward or any bartender can supply one.)

We are D+, but we've never sailed Grandeur, so I can't say for certain your experience would be the same as it's a different ship than the ones I've experienced. I hope it works for you - Have a great cruise and enjoy your wine!

Judy

Others may have had different experiences, but we have never been charged a corkage fee when we take a bottle of wine to the dining room. We bring wine aboard on every cruise. We open the bottle in the cabin before going to the MDR, so it's already open - all we need are glasses, which our wait teams have always supplied without charging a corkage fee. If we don't finish the bottle, they keep it for us for the next night. (We always bring a corkscrew to use in our cabin, but if you don't, your cabin steward or any bartender can supply one.)

/quote]

Just FYI, the "corkage fee" has absolutely nothing to do with who actually opens the bottle.

Others may have had different experiences, but we have never been charged a corkage fee when we take a bottle of wine to the dining room.

+1 for me as well. Since corkage fee said to have re-enstated here on CC about a year ago... Explorer, Jewel b2b (6 bottles here) and Brilliance just now ... not one corkage fee for me or anyone else I dined with. Hopefully OP will not be charged as well.

Corkage fee only if you bring the unopened bottle to the dining room. In our experience, there should be a couple of wine glasses in your cabin (if not ask the steward or go to the closest bar and ask for 2). We would always pour ourselves a glass and then head to the dining room. No corkage fee and no one blinked an eye.

Corkage fee only if you bring the unopened bottle to the dining room. ...

Though we have not been charged the fee as yet, the rule is that it does not matter if the bottle is open or not, bringing the bottle to any public venue may incur the fee.

Hmm 15 plus 8 = 23 and so we would save 7 dollars ... we can splurge on vacation and not the hassle when they X-ray the luggage and delay our stuff. To us it ain’t worth the trouble ...

Pretty sure they also charge 18% gratuity on the bottle price.

we had four bottles of wine on board (two cabins). My wife would have a glass while getting ready for dinner, top it off and bring it to dinner. She'd often get a cocktail at dinner. A few nights in, she said she wanted wine. I asked my server (same one all seven nights even though MTD) if he was going to charge me a corkage fee. He looked at me like I had three heads and said no. I went and grabbed the wine and, good soldier that she is, she polished it off...

we had four bottles of wine on board (two cabins). My wife would have a glass while getting ready for dinner, top it off and bring it to dinner. She'd often get a cocktail at dinner. A few nights in, she said she wanted wine. I asked my server (same one all seven nights even though MTD) if he was going to charge me a corkage fee. He looked at me like I had three heads and said no. I went and grabbed the wine and, good soldier that she is, she polished it off...

Thanks to everyone for their input .... as I recall the time we have brought wine bottles on board our luggage has been delayed. Sooo... we are six of one half a dozen of the other. We will miss the wine package.

I am thinking of conducting an experiment for this trip:

(1) a bottle of cheap but drinkable moscato $8.00

(2) a bottle of cheap but drinkable merlot $8.00

(One of the best wines I have ever had was the merlot my daughter brought back in. a plastic milk jug from Sicily)

(3) see how long it takes our luggage to arrive at stateroom (which is basically immaterial to us as we backpack swimsuits and etc)

(4) see what happens when we ask for a bottle opener.

I wonder if twist off tops would make a difference? Perhaps we would have to pay ourselves an opening “fee”. Okay, tongue is out of cheek.

Please stay tune for the results (cruise review) and our other antics from our foray back into the Bermuda Triangle.

... I wonder if twist off tops would make a difference? ...

I know it sounds strange, but the corkage fee has nothing to do with opening the bottle. It has to do with bringing the bottle (open or not) to a public venue.

I know it sounds strange, but the corkage fee has nothing to do with opening the bottle. It has to do with bringing the bottle (open or not) to a public venue.

Ah... thank you...clear as mud. I think we will bring our cheap wine on board and see if we get charged or not.