Skagen Denmark Question

I am getting increasingly frustrated trying to find info on getting around Skagen. I know that bikes are prevalent and easy to rent but there may be some mobility issues with that. The tours offered on the ship aren’t all that good. I have tried to contact the Skagen tourism board with no luck. Does anyone know if there are taxis readily available at the pier that we could hire for a few hours to drive us to the top sights? We would want to see the sand covered church, the dunes, lighthouses and the sand worm to the point. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no HOHO bus but lokal bus. Here are links to time table and a folder with information and a map. Partly English but mostly in Danish language.

I’ll try to help is questions. Skagen is a lovely city.

https://www.nordjyllandstrafikselskab.dk/custom/mediafiles/Timetables/125/SK-1-sommer-2018.pdf?v=33lr1j

https://www.nordjyllandstrafikselskab.dk/custom/mediafiles/Timetables/125/Web-Sommerbus_Skagen_20182602_dbe.pdf?v=xjzckc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It does appear small and "quaint". We hit there later this summer and are asking the same questions. Doesn't seem like there is much to do and what there is appears to be kind of expensive. I wish our tour skipped it and went to Oslo, Norway instead. May rent a bike and freelance our way around. The WWII bunker has garnered some interest, but some say it is seldom open. I looked around but only found a Dutch web page, no English version so far. We're not art lovers so it's starting to look like a quick bike ride and lounge on the beach. Rather go to Oslo.......

There is no HOHO bus but lokal bus. Here are links to time table and a folder with information and a map. Partly English but mostly in Danish language.

https://www.nordjyllandstrafikselskab.dk/custom/mediafiles/Timetables/125/SK-1-sommer-2018.pdf?v=33lr1j

https://www.nordjyllandstrafikselskab.dk/custom/mediafiles/Timetables/125/Web-Sommerbus_Skagen_20182602_dbe.pdf?v=xjzckc

That bus looks like it may be useful, but the only part of the leaflet that is in English seems to say you how to get tickets on a mobile phone, which we do not do. Can you just get onto the bus and pay then? We could get Danish money before we leave the UK, but are unlikely to have any change. We would have credit/debit cards with us (visa and mastercard) - if they would be any use.

Alternatively, is Skagen small enough to just walk around from where the ship docks? That would be our preference. I could not stay upright on a bike many years ago, so that is certainly not an option for me, but we are fit enough to walk for an hour or two at a time and breaking a day up with a few drinks or a snack, then walking on would be even better.

We visited Skagen in May on Silhouette. Skagen is a fishing port on the Baltic side of the northern sand spit of Denmark. Silhouette berthed just inside the port. Bikes were available to hire beside the ship. The area is flat and the small town is a short walk from the ship. We were able to walk around the area with ease and walk up the most northerly point.

As silhouette was departing in the early afternoon we did not think of taking a tour and we enjoyed making our own way about.

A few taxis were available around the town. A lot of bikes were being used. Skagen is popular for many at the weekend and during holidays so may be a lot busier than when we visited.

• Like 1

That bus looks like it may be useful, but the only part of the leaflet that is in English seems to say you how to get tickets on a mobile phone, which we do not do. Can you just get onto the bus and pay then? We could get Danish money before we leave the UK, but are unlikely to have any change. We would have credit/debit cards with us (visa and mastercard) - if they would be any use.

Alternatively, is Skagen small enough to just walk around from where the ship docks? That would be our preference. I could not stay upright on a bike many years ago, so that is certainly not an option for me, but we are fit enough to walk for an hour or two at a time and breaking a day up with a few drinks or a snack, then walking on would be even better.

You can buy ticket at the bus. Danish cash required. kr22 for the trip kr11 if you are above 65. Skagen is very walkable however some distance to some of the major sights - Grenen’ and the ‘Tilsandede Kirke’

If you plan to use the bus you can buy a day ticket - ‘Skagenbilleten’ at the tourist office for kr50

Thanks a lot for those replies. We are there next August, so could be pretty busy, so the bus to places a bit further away from the port may be of use to get away from the immediate port area. With that information we could make the decision on the day though, which is great.

Our ship will be in port on 5 September. Will the bus still be running to the sights at that time of year?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, however this timetable only applies during the summer period.

After August 11, the bus with have reduced timetable - only running on weekdays from 9 am to 4 pm.

Here is a link to the schedule from last year - assuming the same timetabe, but check the new time table after August 11

Edited by hallasm

We are interested in walking around the town, seeing the art museum, having lunch and walking to Grenen and back, not necessarily in that order. Would that be relatively easy to do while being in port from 10-6 given we have no mobility issues? There are ship's tours for 3 -3.5 hours that drive around town and to Grenen for @ $75. We are not interested in renting a bike and just trying to plan a less expensive but rewarding day. Thanks!

Some information about Skagen including distances.

Skagen is very popular during summer - good fish restaurants and beaches. Many Danes and Germand are having their summer holiday at Skagen.

The town of Skagen has a history spanning at least 600 years. Fishing has always been an important industry, and the town continues to be Denmark’s largest fishing port. Skagen has 9,000 inhabitants.

Skagen is quite small however the must see locations are 4 to 13 km from the centre - renting a bike will be a nice experience, but you can also possible take city bus or rent a car.

At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, Skagen was home to a group of artists known as the Skagen Painters. At Skagen the light is very special.

In the Center you will find Skagens Art Museum, with 1,800 paintings, drawings, sculptures and handicrafts by the artists active in Skagen.

The museum is located in the former home of P.S. Krøyer, who was one of the most prominent members of the Skagen Painters. You can also visit painters Anna & Michael Anchers' charming house and Holger Drachmanns Home (author & painter).

Skagen is locatied on the peninsula only few kilometers wide where the two seas Kattegatt and the Skagerrak meet at Grenen (the branch / the Tip).

A visit to Grenen is a must. It is possible to walk from the 4 km from Skagen to Grenen. The tip of Grenen grows by approximately 8 meters each year.

The Sanded Church 5km south of Skagen was once the largest church in the region. Only the tower now remains, after the sand drift that started in the 16th century literally covered the rest of the church. The church has not been in use since 1795.

13 km south of Skagen is Råbjerg Mile(Dune), the largest migrating sand dune in Northern Europe. It’s easy to imagine being in the middle of a desert. uring a unique flora and fauna.

Other places to visit by car are Voergaard Castle (70km), one of Denmark’s most beautiful renaissance castles, and Bangsbo Manor Mill House (45 km)

We are interested in walking around the town, seeing the art museum, having lunch and walking to Grenen and back, not necessarily in that order. Would that be relatively easy to do while being in port from 10-6 given we have no mobility issues? There are ship's tours for 3 -3.5 hours that drive around town and to Grenen for @ $75. We are not interested in renting a bike and just trying to plan a less expensive but rewarding day. Thanks!

As you can see above the distance to Grenen is 4 km (2,5 miles) - the another 0.5 miles to the tip - for sure walkable.

I was considering visiting Voergaard Castle on our Skagen day, and now I see that the day we will be there (next summer) is most likely during their "Medieval Days" week. I don't know if that makes the idea better or worse (i.e., outrageously crowded?). Anyone have any thoughts?

I have not been visiting Voergaard during the Medieval days. When I were visiting very few people. More activities and more people will be fine. I do not see any problems. Entrance fee might be higher those day. Only watch out for the ‘institutionsdag’ - Day Care Day where there will be a lot of children.

Enjoy you visit to Skagen, one of my favorite locations in Denmark- a bit too crowded in July, primarily next week (week 29) is very busy. It might be an advantage to escape to Voergaard Castle.