Nutritional Info

I've been told on the last two days on many 7 day cruises with Carnival that they are out of bananas. So bananas are not always available as I have personal knowledge since 1988 this simply isn't so.

Well, that’s easy. On day 3 or 4, grab a few bananas and take them back to your room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How do I know? Because most docs will tell you that high fat/cholesterol is not a good thing. It is not rocket science!

Old and dated. I’ve lost weight and improved BP and cholesterol on an Atkins type diet. Many swear by high fat low carb diets. Even consumer reports some years ago found this to be the healthiest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, that’s easy. On day 3 or 4, grab a few bananas and take them back to your room.

This is very likely why there's a shortage. People do as you suggest and then the bananas often sit in their cabins uneaten.

Edited by sanmarcosman

Wow! You folks are really picky. I certainly don't think of olive oil and chicken/fish as "high fat". Low fat to me means all the healthy fats you are mentioning. It also doesn't mean high carbs either or high salt. It means you are just eating a "healthy" diet which includes a bit of everything but not in excess. I don't think of any of this as "diet" which folks go off of the minute they lose some weight. I just think of it as healthy eating!! You can lose weight on all sorts of "diets" .

When you see cruisers chowing down on gigantic plates heaped to the sky with food and drinking tons of soda and alcohol then you know why they have trouble on a cruise with gaining weight!!

This is very likely why there's a shortage. People do as you suggest and then the bananas often sit in their cabins uneaten.

I eat a banana and orange every day at home. I don’t see any reason to change this on a cruise. If there seemed to be a shortage coming and I had the chance to grab a few, I certainly will.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our ship there was cantaloupe and honeydew melon EVERY SINGLE DAY. There was also melon in the dining room. Also there was canned peaches, not what I'd consider produce. The salad ingredients were extremely basic. Yes, the vegetable dishes in the main dining room were good, but that's one meal per day.

every single day in addition to cantaloupe and honeydew, oranges, apples, grapefruit, and bananas are always available. I have never seen canned fruit on Carnival. I also don't think the salad bar is "basic" it has tons of options.

My recent sailing was more like GimmeAdventure - limited fruit choices (including canned or dried), and limited salad ingredients. The salad bar had lots of pasta/potato salad options, but not really much vegetable variety, precut fruit, or seeds/nuts to make a large salad.

If your ship has Blue Iguana you can get some more variety with their toppings (pico de gallo, corn & bean mixture, guacamole). Mongolian Wok might have some interesting vegetables too.

I have the same issue so I know what you're referring to. My saturated fat allowance is only 10 grams per day. Let then know your dietary needs and they will handle it. If dining in the mdr They will go over the menu with you the night Before and make changes to the dish accordingly. As for the other places to eat we will just have to wing it. There is a website you can use to see the nutritional value. Google fat secret. Not sure if im allowed to list the web address. Good luck and have a great time on your cruise.

I know its none of my business, but I have to ask, what kind of medical condition would limit a person to 10g of saturated fat a day?

How do I know? Because most docs will tell you that high fat/cholesterol is not a good thing. It is not rocket science!

Any doctor that tells you "fat and cholesterol" isnt a good thing is working on completely outdated science (which really, there was never really any "science" involved with demonizing fat to begin with, it was all a slam campaign by the sugar industry in the 50's). Furthermore, dietary cholesterol has almost zero impact on blood cholesterol levels, you could literally eat a half dozen eggs a day and see almost no impact on your cholesterol blood levels. The real issue is not cholesterol, its small-dense LDL cholesterol which is created when you consume sugar with cholesterol and fat. Anyway, im not an expert but if you want to understand the science behind it, youtube Dr. Rhonda Patrick, she's an expert on diet and anti-aging and she's pretty much one of the most intelligent people in the world when it comes to how your diet affects your body.

I know its none of my business, but I have to ask, what kind of medical condition would limit a person to 10g of saturated fat a day?

My DW has gallstones....surgery is an option but also just watching your saturated fat intake keeps the problem at bay as well. She has tried to watch her fat intake and see how that goes...it does come with a few flare ups when you find out there was something that didn't go over well.