wondering about glacier watching from the pool area...

savannah2117

This will be our first Alaska cruise and we have an inside cabin. I'm just wondering about the best places to view glaciers. I believe the Star has a covered pool area, i'm guessing that makes it a bit warmer? We are thinking about getting a 1/2 day pass to the Sanctuary for glacier viewing? Is that area warm with good views?

This will be our first Alaska cruise and we have an inside cabin. I'm just wondering about the best places to view glaciers. I believe the Star has a covered pool area, i'm guessing that makes it a bit warmer? We are thinking about getting a 1/2 day pass to the Sanctuary for glacier viewing? Is that area warm with good views?

With the pool area, you will be watching through tinted glass and will not be able to hear the Glacier calve. You will also be out of view as the ship turns for a percentage of the time verses going up on top where you can move around. On the Ruby 2 weeks ago, I wore a light jacket, but we had a glorious day in the bay.

The Sanctuary is not the best place for glacier watching. You will want to be on an open deck where you can move around and get different views. You don't want to watch thru plexiglass or other forms of obstructions. If you really want to be inside...try Skywalker's if you are on a ship that has one. The glass tends to be more clean.

Wear a light jacket, long sleeve shirt with undershirt, and you will be fine. It could be warm and sunny, who knows. Best locations are the upper decks, mainly deck 15, where you can move around to get views. Another nice location is the promenade deck 7 and all the way forward on deck 8.

It sounds to me like you're not a huge fan of being cold. :D We have been to Glacier Bay twice. Like others have said, the best views are definitely from the open decks. Unlike some of the others, I suggest you bring more than a light jacket with some thinnish layers under it. It can be very cold and sometimes windy (especially on the deck 8 bow which has excellent viewing). You will be better off with a wind blocking shell and perhaps a fleece liner, along with a long sleeve shirt and undershirt. Also be sure to have gloves and a warm hat. If you are lucky and it's mild you can shed layers. However, if you're freezing you won't be happy. The wind off the glaciers can be chilling. Also, remember your binoculars !!

Have a great cruise. You will love Alaska, especially Glacier Bay.

I had a balcony on a June cruise on the Star but spent a lot of time out on the open decks for Glacier Bay. Make sure you go to the naturalist talks and she will have the approximate times to view wildlife and glaciers. We went on the bow with her during wildlife times and split our time between our balcony and promenade deck for glaciers. The bow was great for viewing on both sides, especially when others were up there with you. The promenade deck was more protective of wind/elements. Have fun- it was a great cruise!

We were on the Star in May and lucked out with great weather. It was a little chilly in the morning, but as the day progressed in Glacier Bay, we were comfortable t-shirts out on the decks. Plus, they have those roving carts with those delicious "specialty coffees" Yum! A few of those and you'll warm right up :)

We've been on the Star the past 3 years in Alaska and I can say that it is best to move around the ship because you'll see the glaciers from multiple perspectives. Promenade deck is covered and it's easy to duck inside to warm up if it's cold. It's amazing up on Lido and the Sun decks as well. Enjoy your cruise, Alaska is amazing.

Roving carts with specialty coffees? I had not heard of that before, great news. Do you suppose those would count as part of my S&S package?

Yes is included in the PBP......but it was only hot choc and with a shot of your choice on our Rudy cruise in May.

Edited by land lover

You will find out Alaska is a lot warmer than you expect....I don't understand why everyone says dress in layers...as I have been on much colder cruises in other parts of the world, with the coldest and windiest sea days experienced going up the Pacific Coast.

My recent cruise to Alaska was in MAY..I wore jeans, a cotton top, a mid coat with its hood up when viewing Glacier Bay..on a sunny windy day....40s.

I only took a carry on and carried the the coat and one jacket on the jet, I wore my hiking boots.

....I am a SO Ca girl....but Alaska on and off the ship is pretty warm...IMHO even when it rains....there just isn't that chill, like in other parts of the world.

Roving carts with specialty coffees? I had not heard of that before, great news. Do you suppose those would count as part of my S&S package?

Yes, it counts towards your sip & sail. There were names for different offerings, although I can't remember. Like Grizzley mudslides or something like that. Whipped cream was also involved. I think I had several......might have been a bit wobbly.

IF I wanted to view from the Sanctuary, how do I book that? Can I do that now or wait until I'm on the ship? And how much does it typically cost per person?

Thanks.

We were just on the Coral Princess and booked the Sanctuary for the day. Best decision ever! $60 for the day pp. (btw: comes with 8x10 picture, ear warmers to keep, blanket for the day, drink of the day plus all the other goodies that come with the Sanctuary) Link to my report with pictures:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2651532&page=2

We booked the day before Glacier Bay but once you board I'd go up to the Sanctuary - check it out. Coral Princess was wide open, no obstruction or plexi-glass panels.

I couldn't find much on the Sanctuary either - as you have read, it's not recommended, most like being out and about. I did a walk around and was quite happy with my choice.

We were just on the Coral Princess and booked the Sanctuary for the day. Best decision ever! $60 for the day pp. (btw: comes with 8x10 picture, ear warmers to keep, blanket for the day, drink of the day plus all the other goodies that come with the Sanctuary) Link to my report with pictures:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2651532&page=2

We booked the day before Glacier Bay but once you board I'd go up to the Sanctuary - check it out. Coral Princess was wide open, no obstruction or plexi-glass panels.

I couldn't find much on the Sanctuary either - as you have read, it's not recommended, most like being out and about. I did a walk around and was quite happy with my choice.

Thank you so much! I just quickly read your trip report where you talk about Glacier Bay. I will take your advice and check out the Sanctuary when we board our ship and decide from there.

Thank you so much! I just quickly read your trip report where you talk about Glacier Bay. I will take your advice and check out the Sanctuary when we board our ship and decide from there.

The Sanctuary on Coral Princess is really not comparable to the one on Golden Princess (or Star Princess) at least in terms of glacier viewing. Coral's is aft, right on the end of the ship, and almost completely unobstructed. Golden's is forward but somewhat set back from the bow, and no loungers will have an view of all angles.

I've taken three cruises to Alaska. I'm still amazed at the people who do not pack warm clothes for viewing the glaciers. I wore shorts the last time since we had a balcony and it was just a step inside to get warm, but I had on a T-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, sweat shirt, and windbreaker. I also wore a knit hat and gloves.