Broken ankle --6 weeks before cruise--need help

Just wanted to provide an update on mom.....she has been doing 100 percent perfect with her recovery from her broken ankle surgery (plates and screws put in). She is even stepping on her left foot with her boot on...slightly. She was not supposed to be weight bearing until next week...oh well..no stopping her :):)

We have 2 appts this week before we leave next week for the Alaskan cruise and Denver trip after the cruise. A surgery follow up and a physical therapy appt.

She is never tired or sore and the swelling has been gone for a few weeks now.

That 77 year old woman is definitely a tough cookie and ready to roll!

Glad to hear it!

One tip that I don't think I saw... if you are flying, you can call TSA Cares before your departure an they will arrange for special assistance with your security screening. If you have any anxiety about getting through TSA with all of her gear, they can be very helpful. You just need to call a minimum of 72 hours in advance.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support

(855) 787-2227Weekdays:

8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET

Weekends/Holidays:

9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET

Happy Traveling!

Grim determination!! Personally, I’d strongly (!!!!) recommend postponing. On two fronts - your mom WILL have post op swelling and “issues” with regrouping, and it’s not an age thing - anybody recovering from broken bones and surgery will have it. On the second front, what I personally did not figure on is the considerable damage I did to my shoulder when I spent recovery time with my mom in a similar situation, as her only caregiver. I’ve been resisting shoulder replacement, so far. So take good care of yourself as well!! As one of my mom’s therapists told me, “take care of yourself, you can’t BOTH be in a ditch.”

I haven't let her drive since this happened. Since she is only getting around in a wheelchair for now, she cant load and unload that. Plus she is staying with me to recover, so I am her Uber :):)

We just talked about excursions yesterday, and we both agreed she wont be doing any formal ones, I will wheel her into port for shopping in a few of them. She likes to get her tshirts from the ports

I have been following your post and so happy to hear about your mom. We just came back from our seven day cruise and my husband (56), experienced severe back and leg pain Saturday before leaving, even asked to go to urgent care. He didn’t want to risk being admitted to hospitals and missing the cruise. They gave him muscle relaxers and pain meds and we brought a cane to help him get around. Fast forward to Sunday , he needed the cane to walk, it was very difficult for him to sit, walk or stand . We made the best of it and inquired about renting a wheelchair onboard. He didn’t feel like he needed it until about the fourth day in. I wish I would have gotten it earlier. Let me just say this, I am sure that some walls and door jambs had to be repainted when we left. Carnival was excellent and let us use a wheelchair the last three days for just 50. Deposit. My husband was able to go to the shows and to dinner as much as possible until he was hurting. He was hurting so bad that we came home Sunday, dropped our bags off at home and went to the ER. Turns out he has 2 herniated disks in his back and that is what was hurting. Your mom will do fine as long as she takes it easy, take her meds before needing them for pain and getting plenty of rest. I wish the very best for you all. My husband really wanted to participate more but he just couldn’t. Our problem is he didn’t get proper preparation to manage his pain. You all are much more prepared than we were. Have a blast and keep us posted !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been following your post and so happy to hear about your mom. We just came back from our seven day cruise and my husband (56), experienced severe back and leg pain Saturday before leaving, even asked to go to urgent care. He didn’t want to risk being admitted to hospitals and missing the cruise. They gave him muscle relaxers and pain meds and we brought a cane to help him get around. Fast forward to Sunday , he needed the cane to walk, it was very difficult for him to sit, walk or stand . We made the best of it and inquired about renting a wheelchair onboard. He didn’t feel like he needed it until about the fourth day in. I wish I would have gotten it earlier. Let me just say this, I am sure that some walls and door jambs had to be repainted when we left. Carnival was excellent and let us use a wheelchair the last three days for just 50. Deposit. My husband was able to go to the shows and to dinner as much as possible until he was hurting. He was hurting so bad that we came home Sunday, dropped our bags off at home and went to the ER. Turns out he has 2 herniated disks in his back and that is what was hurting. Your mom will do fine as long as she takes it easy, take her meds before needing them for pain and getting plenty of rest. I wish the very best for you all. My husband really wanted to participate more but he just couldn’t. Our problem is he didn’t get proper preparation to manage his pain. You all are much more prepared than we were. Have a blast and keep us posted !

Another thing that I want to mention is the port was great! They immediately got us a wheelchair when we asked for help. The port employee stayed with us the entire time through the port and check in. They took us all the way to the elevators on the ship and then dropped us off. Same way once we got back home, they took my husband off the ship , into the terminal and stayed with us all the way until we got to the customs agent. They spent over an hour with us because the port was very busy both coming and going.

Glad to hear it!

One tip that I don't think I saw... if you are flying, you can call TSA Cares before your departure an they will arrange for special assistance with your security screening. If you have any anxiety about getting through TSA with all of her gear, they can be very helpful. You just need to call a minimum of 72 hours in advance.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support

(855) 787-2227Weekdays:

8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET

Weekends/Holidays:

9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET

Happy Traveling!

I had previously mentioned that I was in a somewhat similar situation going on a land trip after breaking my left ankle. Your post reminded me of what I went through at airports. At Newark, when I mentioned that there was a lot of metal in my walking boot, they could not have been nicer when they just let me though the screening. I don't remember what happened in Paris. (We went from Paris to Amsterdam before going home.) But in Amsterdam, when I mentioned the metal buckles in the walking boot, the response was "Can you take it off?"